“Clean, funky, cheap and a story to tell afterwards!! Not for the ritzy.”
Review of Clown Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tonopah
Clown Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Tonopah B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Funky, cheap, no ice machine, but clean and it is right next door to the not-to-miss Tonopah cemetary. They are rumored to have the biggest collection of porcelain clowns in the world. Not for the luxury traveler, but if you want a clean bed at a cheap price and stories to tell afterwards, this is your place.

Another no-miss in Tonopah is the old dump where they dumped all the trash when they leveled the bordellos--word is that once the matresses decayed, they found gold coins that had been stashed there. For the junk-collector or mixed media artists, some treasures can still be found. I found an old typewriter, rusted and corroded but still intact, old bottles. Would have liked to have spent all day there. The cemetary is another place to spend an hour or two, and if your traveling companions are not interested, they can sleep-in at the Clown motel next door as you go exploring. Take your camera. Google the story of why so many of the graves bear the same date--well, year at least. A mystery!

Room Tip: Try to at least saunter by the room of the guy who seems to live there. We thought it was a second...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Remi47
There are newer reviews for Clown Motel

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have to say this is a crazy motel! The rates are very economical. The rooms are almost unbelievable! The bedding, linens and bathroom were clean. The carpet was old and stained, the chairs and furniture were repaired with duct tape as was the bathroom floor, (see picture). The soiled curtain on the front window was held closed by a safety pin. The paint on the wall was unfinished in the rear of the room. Guess they ran out of paint a couple years ago. I moved one of the chairs and a piece of wood from the chair fell to the floor. The TV was very old, but worked after messing with the remote, which had part of the back cover missing.
In the office is a nice large collection of clown dolls, It is a shame that they are dusty and dirty from lack of cleaning and care.

This is just a crazy place and funny at the same time due to the unorthadox, skimpy maintenance and upkeep.
I have to wonder what a foreigner might think visiting a place like this? Hope they don't get the idea this is typical or American motels!

I did have a good night rest and the bed was decent.

Give it a try! You will save some money and have a laugh when you talk about the experience later!

Visit the old cemetary next door!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Michael D
Reviewed October 8, 2012

"Holy Carp, its a clown hotel!" I yelled to myself on one drive from points south to points north via Nevada and Tonopah...

I really thought, at this point in my drive, that I was hallucinating. It had been some time since I had done this drive, and back then the Clown Motel was shut down. But it was open, or so the spirits told me.

I was exhausted. I normally don't stay in Tonopah, but I had been on the road for three days, pushing hard to get across the southlands and into Reno before the weather really crapped on me.

And let me tell you cousin, this place was great.

Rooms are cheap. Rooms were clean. Proprietors are friendly. The HBO was on the TV, and I could grab a burger or a sandwich and sleep until the pink elephants stopped giving me traffic updates from Mars.

If you're on a long haul, and you're starting to have conversations with things that don't exist, take a nap at the Clown. You'll thank me later

Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank ibtattooo
Reviewed September 7, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Clown Motel for one night. I've passed by it three times, working up the nerve to stay there. I'm so glad I did! We got the last available room, and it was clean and comfortable. It was a nonsmoking room, just fine, no smells. The furniture and appliances (AC and fridge) were in good condition. We enjoyed a sundown walk through the adjacent cemetery and the following morning we sat out in front of our room and enjoyed the fresh morning coffee from the lobby, and watched the sun light up the beautiful desert around Tonopah. There are definitely some people who live here, but they are non-threatening. The front desk people were friendly and helpful. The handmade clown signs out front are great pieces of folk art. This is NOT your homogenized franchise experience, this is authentic, eccentric back road America at its best. Great value for the money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ArizonaSweetpea
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Staff was so nice. Very clean room even tho is older and a bit run down. Small fridge and microwave. Free wifi! Would stay here again! :-) Quiet and homey...there are clowns everywhere but not in our room...thank God. There is a cemetery next door from the 1800's...very interesting. We were very tired from driving from Flagstaff on put way home to Seattle.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank 1201ladyj
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Despite the hokey look of the place, its a clean, well-maintained old road motel by a family that clearly cares about its customers. In town, you can't beat the value for the small price (i paid $44 for my family of 5 with the dog - the guy at the desk ). Sure, the linens are old and the rooms are kind of funky but if you have to stop in Tonopah on a budget, it could be a lot worse (e.g. Tonopah 9 Motel). I'd reccomend to it friends with large families and/or pets.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Derek R
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just passing through and needed a bed and a shower. Smelly A/C, found the linens scary and smelly had to sleep on top of the bed with my own spare blanket. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family