“Fantastic Hotel!”
Review of The Ridge Tahoe

The Ridge Tahoe
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Stateline
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We travelled across from Monterey to spend 3 days in Tahoe and our travel company booked us The Ridge at Tahoe. We arrived in the dark and did not see any of the picturesque mountains on the way but on arrival the apartment was better than expected. The rooms are large with a balcony and a big living room. The beds were comfortable with large televisions in each. The kitchen was fitted out well with washing machine and ironing equipment. We had breakfast every day at the clubhouse and the staff went out of there way to be helpful. The facilities such as the gym, pool and steam room were an unexpected bonus. I highly recommend this hotel....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Pretty much the same experience as JHunter26, except worse. The low toilet he mentions, I measured at 16 inches from the floor to the seat. That meant I had to lower my bottom 4 inches below my knees. Being older, having 2 knee replacements, and a back injury, this was impossible. I sat down on the lid to see if I could handle it and my husband had to lift me up. The front desk offered to send us a rolling commode, just what I wanted to use for our anniversary get away. Right. Disgusting. We asked about a handicapped room with bars for the toilet and after talking to 3 different people, they finally moved us, but it took almost an hour to get it done.

The new room was at the Terrace building and nicer with a great toilet. Actually, it was average but I could really appreciate that. The sleep number bed was horrible. Neither one of us got much sleep. Just couldn't seem to get it adjusted right and there was a big ridge on my husband's back. I would have used the hot tub if I had known it was in the building sooner, but there are no signs and it took a while to find it. In my search for the hot tub I went where they had the extra ski lockers and up the stairs. At the top of the stairs in the very center of the wall was where someone had backed up to the wall and used it as a toilet. YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP MY DESCRIPTION. About 3 feet off the ground there was dry feces running down the wall with a pile (it was pretty old and very dry) on the floor. It had obviously being there a long time.

That brings us to the housekeeping. Very poor. Instead of making the bed she just pulled the covers up and smoothed the bedspread, leaving the pillows uncovered. The bottom sheet was off of the corner and not smoothed out. The top sheet was all wadded up and the blanket rumpled. We had to make the bed before we could go to bed. My husband forgot to take the coffee filter out and rinse the pot, and she didn't do it either. There was shampoo when we got there but she didn't replace what we used. We asked for more at the front desk and he said he have housekeeping bring it. We waited 2 hours, until it was too late to go out, and finally called. Nobody would answer at the front desk but I finally go in touch with housekeeping and they said they never got the message and would bring some. In about a half hour it arrived.

The other thing was just a feeling we got. There were only about 8-10 cars in the garage. We never saw another person except when we would go to the garage. It was so vacant, it was like we were in a ghost hotel, especially when I couldn't even get someone at the front desk. I mentioned this the morning we were leaving and my husband had the same feeling. On the comment card I requested management give me a call. I would like them to know all that was wrong so they can correct the problems. We will see if they do. They did offer to give us free breakfasts for all the problems, but we aren't after something free, would just like to see the problems fixed and get what we were paying for. We did refuse the breakfasts with a "Thank You Anyway".

Room Tip: Make sure it has a regular toilet. Be sure to bring your own shampoo and soap. If it is cold outsi...
2  Thank Mary B
Manager_400, General Manager at The Ridge Tahoe, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, information such as yours is always helpful to us and always taken seriously.

I am sincerely sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. We are so proud of our staff and their guest service scores have remained so high over the years I was shocked to hear your account of housekeeping and front desk. We certainly have shared these comments with their individual managers for follow-up. As we perform renovations obviously the toilets are being replaced with the standard height toilets.

I am confident a manager will be in contact with you if you've requested this via the comment card.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post your experience and we do apologize for missing the mark during your stay.

Dan Garrison

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Nina and Alex at the front desk demonstrated superior customer service at check-in, the manager on duty (did not catch her name) was extremely helpful and courteous. The deli produce good sandwiches and a great breakfast. Overall this was one of my best travel experience in a while. I would recommended the Ridge to anyone going to South Lake Tahoe, They know how to treat the traveler... Thanks again Hadley

Room Tip: Everything was exceptional.
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit in the Cascade building in July 2012. Having stayed in several Tahoe area time shares, I was pretty sure that I knew what to expect. I was happily surprised. The full kitchen area was small but then so is mine in my home, so it didn't bother me. Nice dining area for sit-down meals. The living room was nice with a sofa and loveseat. Large flat screen TV with DVD/surround sound system. The master bedroom was large and nice, having a king bed, sofa, flat screen TV , sink, small refrigerator and microwave. Second bedroom was smaller with a Queen bed. Both bathrooms were huge! They had separate shower and tubs and the tubs were enormous. Tub in the second bathroom was jacuzzi. There are several buildings in the complex. The Cascade building is on the lower part of the hill so the view isn't all that great but hey, nothing in Tahoe is ugly! There is a parking garage beneath the building but if you stay out too late all the spots will be taken. There are a few parking spots on the street though. The pool area is large and nice with large pool and hot tub. There is also an activity center. At the main office there is a small store with essentials and souvenirs. They also have a restaurant and a deli, neither of which we visited. There is a concierge on site who is more than happy to make reservations for eating and activities but beware......she will rope you into a timeshare presentation if you show any signs of weakness. I actually took her up on it just to get the freebies offered. The drive down to the casinos is about 3 miles but seems a little longer due to the curves in the road.
I would stay here again in a hot minute.

Room Tip: If you are just renting, I would suggest asking for a room in one of the top buildings in order to g...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank luv2bethere
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We recently spent a week at The Ridge Tahoe with friends. For one of the most spectacular views we have ever had from a hotel room request a room facing east. The sunrise in the morning and the lights of Carson Valley at night are beautiful. Very central location for casinos and all the fun at South Lake Tahoe, we played several rounds of golf in Carson Valley. The Ridge will be our first choice the next time we visit Lake Tahoe.

Room Tip: Get a room facing east.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dalton C
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Of course it wouldn't be the same. We stayed there in February 1989. We had a lovely 2 bedroom unit, our young sons were with us for a ski vacation and it snowed every night! The days were gorgeous and the skiing was fantastic. Times were simple then, The resort had no towers and we could ski down to Stagecoach Lift. This time we went during the shoulder season to see fall foliage and just relax. We had a 2 bedroom unit in Nagle 12 and it was lovely. The staff was great. No complaints. I just shouldn't compare the two different times. The lake and mountains were beautiful and, overall, a great trip. The Ridge Tahoe is a little far away from most activities, but we liked that. It doesn't take long to drive to South Lake Tahoe. The Fox & Hound bar/grill is just a short drive and their barbeque is so good!

Room Tip: Ask for Nagle building mountain and valley view.
1  Thank gogopogo
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had three nights in the Ridge, having debated whether to stay there or Ridge Pointe, the deal was the same for both.
The choice was made...I don't think it would have been much different in either. The Pointe is away from the main block, but unless you are using all the facilities regularly, I don't think it matters.
We asked for a room with views. We were allocated the top floor of the Tower building. It had a magnificent view of the valley, only snag, you had to climb on a platform in the bedroom to see out of the windows! From the bed, you could only see the platform. It seems to be because the room was above the roofline and the platform was covering the jutting out part of the roof, then the windows (which were narrow) were above that. Very bizarre! Disappointing, as the sun never made it into the room, it was a dark room. The other snag, quite big, was that the bathroom was tiny. The shower was over the bath and the toilet was right beside the bath. Therefore, to access the shower, you had to climb over the bath, having a narrow space in which to do so. Not good, when you ae not so young and nimble!

The next day we asked for a change of room. The guy on the desk wwas more than helpful. He sent us to 3 rooms, the first two were worse than ours (both in the Tower, one was below ground level and like a dungeon, the other very dark indeed). We were about to accept that ours was as good as it gets for a studio, when he sent us to see a room in The Cascade building, we had a 4th flour room, with a view of the west side of the mountains and buildings and that was an interesting view. The room was much nicer, with a far superior bathroom. It had a walk- in shower and a huge bath, double sinks and cabinets. Very nice. All the rooms seemed to have the Sleep Number bed, which was great, very comfie. Nice bedlinen and pillows, too.

So, the thing about the Ridge is that it all depends on which tower and which room you are in.
But, for the money, it is excellent and the location is very pretty. The drive from the Lake is not bad, about 5 miles and no problem to us. There is a shuttle bus every hour if you don't want to drive.
You could stay in a cheap motel in South Tahoe if you want to be close to things, but it would cost you more than the deal we got on The Ridge!

Room Tip: There are so many rooms, it is impossible to say. Our experience is above.
2  Thank davidandjanet65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stateline
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe
#2 of 9 in Stateline
3 mi away
Montbleu Resort Casino & Spa
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#7 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Ridge Pointe Tahoe
Ridge Pointe Tahoe
#7 of 9 in Stateline

Been to The Ridge Tahoe? Share your experiences!