“Recommend this hotel”
Review of Horizon Casino - CLOSED

Horizon Casino
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Stayed for the 2nd year in a row in this hotel, and was again very impressed with the facilities and staff. The rooms are big, clean and en suite. The hotel also has cinema complex, arcade games, gym so is great when you return after a day on the slopes. There are also several restaurants which are very reasonably priced. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed January 5, 2010

Weekend from hickville hell. That about sums it up.

Stayed here over New Year's eve 2009. Had to wait an hour to check in - instead of checking in at 4 like they said we could, we had to wait until 5.

Cigarette smoke everywhere - including in non-smoking rooms.

Really... trashy. Rooms were dirty; sheets didn't smell clean, and there were stains on the counters. Empty bottle of Absolut & a pack of cigs were left on the balcony. The bedding, towels, soaps, etc. were threadbare basics; in fact, these niceties were much better in the motel we stayed at the night before.

The crowning moment: being woken at 3am by fratboy wannabe gangsters fighting in the hallway, a door down from our room. Complete with cursing, shoving, punching, and slamming against the walls. It took security almost 20 minutes to come break up the fight. We had to call them twice before they came.

The one and only redeeming factor - 3.99 breakfast. It beats having to wait at Denny's or IHOP for the same quality of food; though the eggs sunnyside were a bit runny (not just the yolk, but also a bit runny on the white).

Granted, this could have just been New Year's weekend craziness. However, I would not come here again.

Reviewed May 10, 2008

I just stayed there for 4 days and was a little concerned after reading some of these reviews. The Hotel itself is fine. I had a water view room. The furnishings are really basic so don't expect 300 thread count sheets with duvet cover but basic motel type room. The staff was great the buffet was really very good for $13 and the convenience of being able to walk everywhere made it a nice stay. Lots of cheap slot machines but I was there in midweek so very quiet. Overall a good experience. They also let you use the indoor pool across the street at Montbleu which they also own so you can have a spa day convenient at no charge to use the facilities.

2  Thank davidgmg
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 14, 2006

Just returned from a wonderful ski trip in South Lake Tahoe. Skiing is awesome, the town is awesome but this hote is terrible. No one in the entire organization is up to speed on anything. If you ask one person something you will get a totally different answer from someone else. We decided to visit becuase of their ski packages. They told us to redeem our free ski pass coupons on the mountain. Once we got to the mountain, they told us we had to get the passes at the hotel. Turns out the mountain was right. But the girl behind the counter who sent us to the moutain was wrong. Manager said they would comp one night stay to offset the price of the lift passes we had to buy. When we checked out, the comp was not there and we had to go round and round with another manager to get it. Friends of ours had someone try to break into their room, called security and security put them on hold for 45 minutes. 1 hour to get anything from the restaurant. Im not talking a one hour line to sit, im saying one hour from time of order. This happened 3 times while we were there, so it wasnt just an "off" night for the cooks. We had to call down to the front desk 3 days in a row, just to get maid service and fresh towells. The maids decided to clean the room next to us at 1:30 in the A.M. one night. When we called the front desk to ask them to stop, we were told it will only be about 30 minutes more, "Please be patient." This place is just terrible. The rooms look nothing like the pictures on the web. We asked for a non smoking room and they gave us a smoking room. I dont care if you smoke or not, but when a guest makes a simple reservation for a non smoking room, it doesnt seem that hard to follow those directions. There is a ski rental place on site. That place is awesome, it must be under different management. The guys there are really cool. The "workout" facility that the boast about is a broken treadmill and 4 or 5 dumbells. All I can say is...if you want to stay in a hotel go to Harrahs you will enjoy it much more. Horizon is a waste of time. If you have ever been to Vegas and are expecting the same level of service because it is a casino, forget it. The staff is terrible as well. Except the gift shop manager, she is awesome and really went to bat for us when management was "Too Busy" to talk to us.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 31, 2004

My family & I stayed in the hotel for the evening of 8/29/04. We took 2 rooms for the evening of the 29th because of reasonable rates & the convenience of location, also the ease of their internet reservation system. Overall, we enjoyed our stay in the establishment, but we did have a couple experiences I felt I could mention here.

After a morning of long, hot travel we decided to have brunch, then head to the pool. The pool was gorgeous, looked clean & was the perfect temperature! We enjoyed 2 hours, or more , in the pool. Unfortunately, the events that took place at the end of our trip to the pool tarnished the experience. After most of the family ( 5 of us) spent quite a bit of time at the pool my brother-in-law inquired of the lifeguard / towel boy where he could find a restroom in the pool area. The young man looked my 40+ year old brother-in-law in the eye & told him if he had to urintae he could just hop into the pool. DISGUSTING! When the story was related to us, we could not get out of the pool fast enough! There we lots of folks using the pool & I could only imagine what I was swimming in if the lifeguard/towel person had related this sage advice to other pool patrons!
Collectively we quickly retired to our rooms upstairs & each took long showers! Unfortunately, none of them were hot. The other negative experience in the hotel was the total lack of water pressure & anything resembling warm water by 2 pm!
I think I would have to pass on further stays in this hotel. I had read the reviews & felt that other travelers were a little uptight & that it would be fine for me, as I'm a pretty low-key traveler. Unfortunately, I think I would lend a little more credence to the poor reviews after having stayed in the hotel myself.
I've asked them to consider making a restroom facility available at/near the pool...or at the very least train the pool staff to instruct patrons to use restroom facilities over the pool when a restroom trip is necessary !!!
As for the casino, we did pretty good at the Horizon on our last 2 trips. The slots seem the loosest here... certainly better than at some of the other spots in Tahoe.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member