“Ski, Gamble and Party - Harrah's makes a good base camp”

Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Stateline
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 26, 2010

Harrah’s is in a good location, about 2 blocks from the gondola to Heavenly.

There is plenty to do in the hotel itself. The spa is very good. Nightlife on the weekends is great. There is a lounge act in the casino on Fridays and Saturdays that is not to be missed. Vex, Harrah’s nightclub opens at 10:30pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. This club rivals the best Vegas night spots. VIP patrons are put in the spotlight in stage like booths.

Even on a Saturday night there were $15 blackjack tables to be found. Harrah’s had many unusual games such as 3 card poker and other nontraditional tables. There is a good variety of machines and plenty of video poker.

Other than an arcade and an indoor swimming pool, there is not much to keep the kids occupied. There is a movie theater at Horizon, just a short walk from Harvey’s/Harrah’s.
Harvey’s is connected to Harrah’s via an underground tunnel. In-between the two hotels is Cabo Wabo. Sunday nights there are packed. They bring in international DJs and the crowed looked to be a mix of locals and tourists.

Inside Harvey’s you will find a scaled down Hard Rock Café and a couple other eateries. Harvey’s did not seem to be nearly as lively as Harrah’s.

Friday Station on the 18th floor of Harrah’s has good steaks. Portions here are large. The buffet, also on the 18th floor was ok for breakfast and dinner.

The gym is two treadmills and some dumbbells in a 300sf room.

Internet access is $10.95 per day per device.

There is a very limited selection of beers in the hotel bars. Light beer drinkers have two choices. The wine throughout the hotel was pretty bad. We found a grocery store down the street and kept wine in the room.

There is a Starbucks and a well stocked gift shop in the lobby. The gift shop has a better variety of beer than the bars in the hotel, clifbars and just about every other necessity.

Skiing Heavenly – Heavenly is just a walk and a gondola ride away. This is not (in my opinion) a place for beginners. If you are going to ski Heavenly it is best to rent your equipment at the gondola. There are at least two rental establishments. Not knowing better, we rented our skis online from a shop in Harrah’s and ended up carrying all the equipment to the gondola. Additionally, the lockers fill up early on busy weekends.

Skiing Sierra – Sierra Tahoe is (again, in my opinion) a much better family skiing option. It is a 30 minute drive from Harrah’s. There are plenty of green, blue and black slopes. You can rent your skis at the bottom of the slope. These people have their act together. Four of us had equipment on and were headed to the lift in about 18 minutes with no previous reservation. Returning the equipment took less than 5 minutes. You can leave your boots in their shop. There is only one ski rental shop at the mountain. 360 BBQ at the top of the mountain is a good place to eat.

Getting around – Many may disagree with me but I would not recommend driving. Snow comes quickly and in large quantities. You could get lucky, but be prepared to put chains on your tires on the side of the road. If you are going to rent a car, ask if there is something available with studs on the tires.

The drive from the Reno airport to South Lake Tahoe is 80 minutes. Limos charge by the hour and charge for round trip when you are traveling one way. You are paying for the car to return to its starting point.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank rcullet

Reviewed January 7, 2010

The gambling area looks old, like 1970's Vegas. When I first arrived my sheets had tons of random black hairs in them and I'm a blond. The towels were very old and smelled badly, not mention they had strings hanging off of them. The TV's seem old and out of date. I got ready and geared up to go to the indoor pool which was very gloomy, dirty and carpet all around the pool. Strange. Who still has carpet around the pool? The spa looks gloomy and old as well. Not to mention the spa is really over priced. Save your money there are pleanty of beautiful cabins and smaller resorts around here that would offer you equally as beautiful of views.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank laurac1031
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Harrah's gets an A+ for customer service. Cheaptickets overbooked at another hotel I made a reservation at. It was 2 a.m. after a very snowy drive going 15 miles an hour we show up at Highland Inn and the owner yelled at us because it was late, and was not sorry at all that they didn't have a room for us. He continued to yell in gibberish and refused to help us. I had already booked a night at Harrah's the following evening, so with nowhere else to go we just went there and I asked Leanette at the front desk if she could look up the number for cheaptickets so I could call and get it situated. She allowed us to check in at 3 a.m. for the room I had booked for the following evening and did not charge any extra fee.

There are his and her bathrooms which really made things easy and convenient. The only bad thing I would say is the TVs are VERY out of date and if you are paying upwards of $300 for a room I would think plasma TVs would be in the room. But it really didn't affect my trip I didn't come to South Lake to watch TV.

Thank you Harrah's! Leanette deserves a bonus and if everyone in the service industry had her customer service etiquette, traveling would be so hassle free.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EliSnow
Reviewed December 10, 2009

We had a great time in November! My third time there and can't wait till the next trip. Staff was wonderful. Though there are alot of events for young adults, we seniors have a ball too.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2009

spent 5 days and 4 nights complimentary room and air from Philadelphia, Pa. to Harrah's Lake Tahoe, great offer you would think. I can't fault Harrah's for the airline problems experienced getting there but everything I read in other traveler's reviews that were negative I did experience. I travelled over 2000 miles to see roof and mountain tops from my 5th floor room ( is there a lake out there?) and the elevator noise and the smoke. The room was nice and the restaurants and service were very good. Did I mention the smoke.....everyone there smokes cigarettes....if you are a smoker you will love the casino floor. I had to leave machines and tables constantly due to other people's smoke and if you ask why I harp on the smoke...because I am an ex-smoker who had vascular surgery due to my 40 year smoking habit...yes once was enough.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ex-Diamond
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Hotel at Harrah's Lake Tahoe is not at all what is all built up to be.
first time I ever stayed there was a true dissapointment with the staff and room and the supervisor Jeff was rude he said an inappropriate remark to me which I was highly offended, need he be reminded, that bands is what brings in the people too not just gambleing that stay at this crummy hotel, not to mention the rooms are just overpriced and is in need of a desperate make over and rooms are smelly and not thoroughly cleaned and staff is not flexiable on making their guests happy, Their popular word is NO! in their vocabulary
if you need a place to stay in Tahoe , Don;t stay at Harrah's, My experience was bad and management did not care to make it right , I will not stay there ever again , even if my favorite band plays there I will stay somewhere else.
People beware. The room I stayed in made me sick because there was no proper air flow the room was extremely hot the air conditioner was not working properly, And I have high blodd pressure which I nearly passed out from lack of oxygen. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank 007Ispy
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Traveled with friends to Harvey's for a quick getaway. Upon checking in the girl said we "were on the top floor and would love it!" When we arrived at the room it was a huge disappointment. The room was not updated at all. It was dirty and the bed sloped down at the head. To top it off there was urine in the toilet. The front desk moved us to a different room that was updated but the lock didn't work. Our friend forgot her robe in the first room and she immediately contacted the front desk to report it and they did nothing to retrieve it. Needless to say she never saw the robe again. We had been to the hotel in July and had a wonderful time and wanted to make it a quarterly event. Upon check out we got an apology and that was it. So much for customer service. We will never go back. Vegas it is.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank freqtrvlr10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stateline
Montbleu Resort Casino & Spa
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Lakeside Inn and Casino
Lakeside Inn and Casino
#2 of 9 in Stateline
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe

Been to Harrah's Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!