“Great Property for Gamblers”

Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Stateline
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Years back when gambling was the main reason for us to visit Lake Tahoe, the Harrah's Lake Tahoe was the place to stay. For sentimental reason, we booked Harrah's on the last part of our Yosemite and Lake Tahoe trip. Driving into South Lake Tahoe, we noticed a big change into the customer profile as well as the new property that cater to them. The Harrah's was still located in the right part of the strip however when it compare to the other property it looked tired. We got a good room nicely furnished. The two nights proved to be very enjoyable with the shopping complex next door. Converting from a gambler to a non-gambler taught me few things. The area of the casino was huge when you walked through it without gambling in mind. There was so much time to kill in a casino-town when you are not in the game.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Harrah's Lake Tahoe

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Staying at Harrahs in Tahoe was a really nice experience. The hotel is very clean with great views and accommodations for everyone. There's a pool there and an arcade for the young and if you're like me, my husband! There's a food court and many more places to eat inside ranging from foot court to buffet to fine dining! There are also a lot of bars, plently of entertainment too.

This hotel is centrally located to what's happening. We walked to lunch and different shops. The Heveanly gondola was right there. There are also a ton of beaches within close driving range where you can paddle boat or parasail or rent a boat or jet ski! There are so many than its to do here plus the gambling.

Our room was great! It had a king bed, a view of the lake and golf course, his and her's bathrooms and a huge couch!

Overall this place was really nice to stay. It's beautiful place and the service was perfect!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank LoLaMarieP
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Overall, we were OK with the accommodations but were upset that we couldn't extend another night. We checked in July 28th around 10 pm. We were on a road trip and were unsure if we were going to hang around. The room turned out to be ok, comfy bed which was our worry to begin with so that is why we didn't not automatically book two nights. So we were excited upon waking up Saturday and wanted to extend our vacation in Lake Tahoe at Harrah's. Again, I am disappointed that they could not offer some type of accommodation. I don't understand how you can have vacancy one night and charge double the amount for a night in your hotel. We paid almost 200.00 dollars and then the next day not have another night. Anyway, overall the hotel was ok, we didn't get a chance to check out the casino or restraunts, although we did order 80.00 in room service because we were tired from our drive from Oakland. To be fully booked, there sure wasn't many people around, even when we checked in. I am wondering if this is because they knew we weren't going to be gambling that much. Maybe that is why the front desk was not understanding of our need. We really wanted to check out Lake Tahoe since we had never been, instead we ended up in Yosimite. As for if I will return to Harrah's in Lake Tahoe. I think I will pass. I work in hospitality, and I know that there are rooms that held for these cases, Harrahs dropped the ball...big time. I travel a lot and know what to expect when traveling. I didn't get what was expected at Harrahs Lake Tahoe.

Room Tip: You better know how many nights you want when you check in. No last minute road trips as in my case...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michellebenetti
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Assignment of smoking rooms is an issue in older hotel-casinos like this, but Harrah's Tahoe front desk handles the matter inappropriately. I love the hotel, am a frequent visitor, but have noticed lately they greet me with "You booked a smoking king size etc" even though I booked a non-smoking. To get the non-smoking room, they then downgrade me to a lower floor. The first couple of times I just assumed I goofed up on the reservation, but on this most recent visit, I decided to run out to the car and grab the confirmation. Sure enough, I had booked a non-smoking room. The clerk didn't even have to look at it, quickly offered me a non-smoking room with two beds of comparable quality, which I accepted, and which did smell of tobacco, there were no no smoking signs anywhere, but I let the matter go.

I realize and understand that "room type is not guaranteed". However, there are three room grades at Harrah's, and the upper floor Executive rooms, which are quite nice, are also more expensive. So it's not fair to downgrade one to a less expensive room without offering a refund on the rate. I would expect room type to basically mean bed configuration. Offering smoking rooms to a non-smoker doesn't seem fair.

I realize non smoking rooms may sell out, and be given to those with longer stays, etc, but the front desk should not make the guest feel like they actually reserved a smoking room, as an excuse to give them a lesser room. Guests may want to think twice about reserving an Executive room, as, when they arrive, they may be given a choice between a smoking room, or a lower floor.

Room Tip: Executive rooms on higher floors are the best, but hard to get a non-smoking room when busy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank john_northbay
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times and it is starting to show signs of its advanced age. The hotel is old and the maintenance is not what it used to be. The beds were particularly bad with noisy and uncomfortable bed springs. You can't beat the view if you happen to get a room with a lake view, but the black out curtains are less than effective. The rooms are well maintained, but there are signs of rug stains, chipped tile, and plumbing issues.

Room Tip: Get a lake view if you can. The higher the room, the quieter it will be.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jasper298
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Nice room - partial view of Lake which was a little disappointing. Casino is small and really did not enjoy it. The next time we go we will rent a car and go to Napa or San Francisco. The Friday's Station restaurant is wonderful - we went up almost every night to watch the sunset.
Buffet was disappointing. Room was fine - the entire place is dated but it was very clean.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cajuncouple50
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Starting with the worst, there is rotten access to the hotel. You can't bring your own luggage in unless you are willing to walk a quarter mile each trip. They wall off parking so you have to use the valet whether you want to or not. Pedestrians are subject to getting run down, there are no walkways. Stairs must be negotiated to get in or out with bags unless you use the valet. They give you the worst rooms unless you are a registered gambler. The rooms for plebs are two block from the elevator.

There is plaster stained wallpaper from prior leakages and repairs. The airconditioner is either on or off, there is no in between. The staff is arrogant. Complaints are ignored, but if you are a gambler they will pick you up in Reno at no cost, comp your room and meals and suck you dry. That's fine, but what about the person who wants to pay his way and be treated like a human? Forget it. Go anywhere else, but not Harrah's

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank offpissed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stateline
Montbleu Resort Casino & Spa
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Lakeside Inn and Casino
Lakeside Inn and Casino
#2 of 9 in Stateline
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe

Been to Harrah's Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!