“Impressed!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Wa
“Impressed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2008

We just returned from a 3-night stay at Harrahs Tahoe. We were very impressed with the quality of the hotel. It is in a whole different class than Reno or Vegas Harrahs. We were on the 14th floor and our room was beautiful. It was also very quiet, we never heard a peep from next door or even from the hallway. The view was breathtaking. Their 'total rewards' program is great, this stay was a whopping $1.26. No kidding, that was the total of our room charges for 3 nights with all the comps and points from using the players card... and I mostly play penny machines! The casino workers are very friendly and helpful. We found a wonderful restaurant down the street about 1/2 mile called The Riva Grille. It's right on the water and has fantastic food and cocktails if you want to splurge a bit. The only restaurant at Harrahs we made it to was the breakfast buffet. The made-to-order omelette was very good. We did frequent Starbucks in the lobby every morning and were so thankful it was there!
Harrahs is definitely the pick of the litter in Tahoe.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms and great casino
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank travlbuff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for a few nights for skiing in Heavenly. The hotel itself was ok - conference hotel type rooms but good sized (had an executive king) and clean. The casino was ok - I haven't been to other casino hotels so can't compare. It's not glitzy in any way but it was friendly and with good service. The hotel is around five minutes walk from the Heavenly gondola which was fine for skiing. The two Marriot residences are right next to the gondola and the Embassy Suites are in between. Our biggest problem was finding somewhere decent for dinner. Except the odd cafe and fire & ice bar next to the gondola, there doesn't really seem to be an obvious resort centre. We visited Cafe Fiore, Nephele and Scusa. The first two were more upmarket, but we found the prices ambitious for what was on offer (around $35 for a main course). Scusa was your average pasta place. Liked the breakfast at Driftwood Cafe. The skiing in Heavenly was great for the sunshine, beautiful views and (it being mid-week late season) the relatively empty slopes. But compared to European resorts, the slopes are limited (mostly rolling blues/greens with the odd red) and are very short - so thank goodness for the short queues at the chair lifts. We didn't have the time to visit the other Tahoe resorts though.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marina679
Sacramento, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

I had made reservations online a month in advance and upon my arrival, learned there were no more rooms available that I had requested. I requested a non-smoking room with a King bed and a view. I got a 2 queen, non-smoking room with a view of the parking lot! Not to mention the very uncomfortable bed. I was told there was a "Golfing Convention" and that was why the hotel was so booked. This was my birthday weekend away from the kids and other everyday distractions. The management was very unaccommodating and I was only given a "there's nothing we are willing to do" attitude. I have stayed at Harvey's Lake Tahoe for several years and the staff is wonderful! I regret not choosing them again. I could have spent my money at any one of the vacant hotels on the strip, but I was locked into the room due to the 72 hour cancellation notice. I would have liked to have been compensated somehow for the 3hr drive, dashed expectations and loss of sleep! The online reservation system is another issue completely. If there are only 10 rooms of a certain description and 10 people have reserved it, no one else should be able to request that room. I will not be giving Harrah's my business again, nor will they be recommended by me.

• Liked — 2 bathrooms
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank midnightsgirl
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2008

We just got back from Harra's Lake Tahoe. People, it is WONDERFUL! The buffet, and along with The Station on the 18th had the best food. Now for those of you who have gone to Harrah's in Vegas, this casino is not at all the size. Actually, it's smaller than I had expected it to be, but lots of fun and wonderful people. Please be aware that to get to Harrah's, there is a very steep mountain you must ride up. Remember, you are going 10,000 feet up. It's a thrill ride is all I can say. It takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to Harrah's. Most of that time in going up the side of that mountain.

Spa Reflections is a MUST! Save your money and be ready to be pampered from head to toe. I had the Stone Therapy Massage, and my daughter had the aromatherapy massage. Both were awesome. If you have never tried the stone massage, you must try it once!

The rooms were great. You have 2 bathrooms in each room. Awesome! Now if you are interested in watching TV at all, you might want to find something else to do. The channel selection is very limited. Oh heck, why watch TV when there are slot machines just downstairs!

The Gondola to the ski resort and peak of the mountain is only a short walk from Herrah's. They open the ride up at 9 so be there early and be ready for the most beautiful ride of your life.

In all, the place was great and we will go back again. I think I'll make sure it's snowing when I go again though! It snowed the day we were leaving.

Have fun if you're going and please post your experiences when you get back.

Ann
Birmingham Alabama (yep, we were a LONG way from home!)

• Liked — two bathrooms in each room! Now that you do not see in every hotel.
  • Disliked — The temperature could never be controlled correctly.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Danzon
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

LOTS of wind noise kept my husband awake. Perhaps it was a faulty window seal, but I don't know if that is common in other rooms.
Stayed in "LUXURY" room. Does NOT look as big and new-looking as photo on Harrah's website.
Got the "deal" at $99. Would not say it is worth more than that.
Two bathrooms was a convenience: one had a bathtub/shower and the other had a shower-only.
Bed linens were clean which is my biggest thing. Husband did not find bed comfortable.
Breakfast buffet on 18th floor is $15.99. This is my third time at the buffet- definitely worth the splurge if you're hungry. Horizon Casino has lower buffet prices, but no view.
Color of hotel is a dark, ugly green- what were they thinking?
I preferred my stay at The Ridge Tahoe five years ago, but that place is more remote and not as convenient to the casinos.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank integrity8
Issaquah, Wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2008

We arrived at Harrah’s Tahoe Sunday Feb 10 2007 at 2:15PM to begin our five night stay. Our room was not quite ready, but within 45 minutes we were checked into room1431 an Executive room on the California side with a great view of Lake Tahoe. Over the past two decades we have stayed at this hotel numerous times.

The newly renovated Executive room’s floors 12 – 15 are very nice. All have great views, updated color schemes, two bathrooms, marble entries and a refreshment center with a stocked mini bar and a separate unstocked refrigerator for your snacks.

The service was excellent. Housekeeping provided extra towels, nightly turndown service and kept the room spotless.

Room Service was prompt. I skied each day at nearby Heavenly Mountain and my breakfast order was always on time as promised.

We had dinner at the Sage Room located at Harvey’s resort located next door (also owned by Harrah’s) and the tableside prepared Steak Diane was excellent. I have stayed at Harvey’s several times as well and rooms in the new tower at Harvey’s rival Harrah’s in every way.

My only complaint was the room temperature. When we arrived the room was literally 80 degrees. We promptly open the window – it was 40 degrees outside – and turned on the AC to max. By 9PM the room temperature cooled to 75 degrees and never fell below that all night. I contacted housekeeping to ask that the AC system be checked out. An engineer showed up and proclaimed the system to be functioning. We have now stayed three of our five nights and still the room never falls below 75 degrees. This despite two calls the engineering and two proclamations that the system is working properly.

Harrah’s Tahoe is a great hotel but I would be cautious about reserving a room next year for my annual trip to Tahoe. I find it difficult to sleep in a hot room and a vacation even to a gambling environment is an opportunity for me to relax and catch up on some much needed rest and relaxation. I did not ask for a different room or an upgrade for my inconvenience or a discount on my stay, I just wanted the situation fixed. It was not despite my repeated attempts.

• Liked — two baths, clean, great housekeeping, good room service
  • Disliked — poorly working AC
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank DavidHIssaquah_WA
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2008

My husband skis, I don't. We wanted a hotel that had a casino/spa and was conveniently located. This was the perfect choice! Close to the gondola for my husband to ski; close to shops, day spas, cafes, casinos for me while he was skiing.

We were pleasantly surprised by the room. Recently redecorated, spacious, plus had two bathrooms!

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mojitogirlChicago
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stateline
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Lakeside Inn and Casino
Lakeside Inn and Casino
#2 of 9 in Stateline
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe

Been to Harrah's Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!