“stingy hotel”

Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Stateline
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Harrah's Lake Tahoe has clean well furnished rooms. However, it does not supply amenities you may be used to from other hotel chains. No free tea packets or free coffee in the room, wifi is charged at a rate of $11 dollars a day per device, the restocking fee for the mini bar is $20 and you are cautioned against even opening the door of the mini bar (say perhaps to use the mini bar as a fridge) as you risk incurring the restocking charge. Now, I stayed here to use the gondola at Heavenly, but it is a bit far to walk in ski boots. You are better off staying at the Embassy Suites if you are skiing as it is closer, and it is more guest friendly from my experience.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Grumpy C

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed one night and had our 2 children with us. Rooms were very large with 2 full bathrooms. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Prompt room service. Easy access to casino. Moved here from the Embassy Suites and couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank triptaker215
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Just came back from four night stay over the holidays.

Pros: Location, walking distance to shopping, Gondolas, movie theater, restaurants,, etc Rooms are large and have two bathrooms, and mostly modern (except for the worn looking carpets and poorly insulated windows).

Cons: Many, the place is crowded, run-down, can't breath in the casino, limited and expensive choice of restaurants (also crowded), no lobby or anywhere else to relax other than the smokey casino. The front desk was understaffed, disinterested, unfriendly and some downright rude, and they don't have enough valets. If you forget to turn on the do not disturb light, housekeeping will wake you up before 9 am (8:30 at our room) to do cleaning. They don't give you enough towels so we had to ask for more every day - assuming you can get housekeeping to answer the phone. If you have a problem with your room, which we did, don't expect the front desk staff to go out of their way to help you.

If you get a good price, I would recommend staying at the Embassy Suites next door, or if you can afford it, the Marriott.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I had slightly higher expectations or at least hopes for Harrahs. The pros are its proximity to Heavenly Gondola and some parts of the old school style. Also I have to say the service is done with a smile and quite efficiently which makes a mediocre place somewhat pleasant. We checked into our non smoking executive double queen room. We had to sign a waiver about smoking (we don't) and arrived to a very smoky smelling room with ash trays and matches. I didn't feel like switching rooms so they used an ozone machine while we went out. It seemed slightly better but I'm in bed now and smelling smoke and wishing I had switched. I'm sensitive and its gross. The casino is cool in its old style but lots of drunk unsavory types. We went to the arcade which had good games but was a pig sty. Trash all over the place. Ate at pizza place in Harvey's that was also quite unkempt (trash all over the place, tables not bussed). So for me, it's kind of a turnoff. The room is large and reasonably nice. We were told they were just renovated. I'm not sure what is new--the bathrooms have some peeling plaster and wallpaper. Maybe newer carpet? Beds are fine furniture is scuffed so that's not new. We do have free coffee in the executive room and two free waters. Not sure what else I paid extra for. Room is clean but not perfectly so. Bathroom floor had some stuff on it (not cleaned entirely). In sum, for $300/nt its way overpriced. Maybe an off time for $100/ night would be a good value. The years of recession is showing in this part of Tahoe and at Harrahs for sure.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank sanfran58
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Harrah's features large comfortable rooms with sitting area, two bathrooms, and floor to ceiling views. Definitely a cut above the sister property, Harvey's, the hotel still offers great weekday rates, and discounts and comps with the players card (Total Rewards). The casino is great fun, staff much friendlier than Vegas. There's a good buffet with incredible views on the top floor. My only nitpick is the rooms and common areas starting to be in a need of a little touch-up; beds and pillows a little soft. Still, it's my place to stay in beautiful Tahoe.

Room Tip: Best views on the south side
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank john_northbay
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed three nights at Harrah's Lake Tahoe and two nights at Harrah's Reno in August 2012.. I expected to like Harrah's Lake Tahoe better - expected it to be nicer and higher end than a property in Reno - but I was incorrect. I debated between Harvey's in Lake Tahoe or Harrah's in Lake Tahoe (both Harrah's properties) - but wentt choose Harrah's Lake Tahoe as reviews were better for Harrah's in Lake Tahoe. We weren't disappointed with Harrah's Lake Tahoe - but we actually preferred Harrah's Reno. The customer service was superb there and I preferred the casino and look of the hotel. The pool at Lake Tahoe was indoor with a very small outdoor space - there was no bar/food service and lacked a fun and lively atmosphere - no music, etc.. There is an outdoor pool at the Reno property. If a nice pool experience is important to you in the summertime- don't choose Lake Tahoe. Of course - the beautiful scenery in Lake Tahoe can't be beat - it is simply stunning!
I was comped all five nights as Total Rewards member - so who can argue tor complain if it's not perfect! We much prefer Las Vegas and the Harrah's properties there - plus the overall experience and fun! But since we had to travel to Lake Tahoe/Reno for our son's concerts - it was great to get our stay comped - and we did enjoy our stay at both properties. They are good but not great. We will likely be returning next summer as well and will choose Harrah's Reno.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2012

It has an arcade. It has stores. That what makes it great. The spa was Excellent!! I loved the food.
People were friendly. I would go back again. I don't gamble, but it looks fun. The pool area excellent!!!!! The rooms were nice and clean. I would come back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Linda N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stateline
Montbleu Resort Casino & Spa
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Lakeside Inn and Casino
Lakeside Inn and Casino
#2 of 9 in Stateline
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe

Been to Harrah's Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!