“Average room with pros and cons”

Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Stateline
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Harrah's Lake Tahoe had it's pluses and minuses. We're casino people, so we've been to a quite a few casino resorts to compare. Harrah's gave us a good rate, so I can't really complain. The lobby was nice with a nice selection of stores (and a Starbucks) for a smallish casino. I bought a great watch in one of the stores. The hotel location was good, given the small size of the town itself, and the amount of modest to upscale places there were in the town and the few number of casinos. On the plus side, both of the rooms we had, had two bathrooms, which was helpful and convienient because there was more than one of us per room. The rooms were modestly clean-- the rugs and furniture could have been a bit fresher/cleaner. Again, not grotestquely old or dirty, but noticable in places. The bedding was clean and fresh and comfortable. Rooms were of okay size. Having stayed last year in a very large Harrah's mini-suite in Vegas last year, I'm a bit spoiled and comparing it to something which probably doesn't exist at Tahoe.
Mixed: The casino itself was nice in an okay small sort of way-- and always crowded. Limits were always a bit high for our tastes (okay, so we're low rollers!); the slots were not paying out as well. It is connected to the Harvey's which is nice, and Harrah's centrally located to the small number of local casinos in South Tahoe.
On the con side--The food was unspeakably bad-- please see my review of one of the resturants. The buffet smelled bad, so we didn't try that place. The steakhouse on the top floor was VERY expensive so we did not try-- though I can see going there for a romantic drink since the view was special. The pool area just sucked-- smelled moldy and was VERY small. I know-- people go to Tahoe to ski and gamble, but I bet if they improved the hot tub into the kind of space the Atlantic City Harrah's has, it would be a spectacular resort.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank dkm1776
Write a ReviewReviews (3,864)

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was my first hotel room with two baths and a walk-in closet. Each bath had a little TV. Wow. What a huge room. It also had a large sitting area. There was a Keurig coffeemaker with no coffee. You had to go to reception and buy the little coffee packs, so bring your own if you want coffee in your room. We got a great rate with our players card and it was well worth every cent. The casino has several shops and restaurants. The location is perfect -- next to the Heavenly Gondola and the many shops of Heavenly Village. Dinner at Harrah's Forrest Buffet was good and quite varied. The only downside to Harrah's was the practically non-existent casino drink service. They have a huge problem in that department. Twice our orders were taken and the server never returned (after waiting 30 minutes). One actually went off duty without fulfilling our order!! Gamble someplace else if you like your free drinks.

Room Tip: Use your Harrah's players card for great rates.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed just one night at Harrah's. Enjoyed the casino, the room was nice - a little strange to have 2 full bathrooms in a hotel room. The TV in the bathroom was pretty 1980's - but overall, it was a nice place to stay, conveniently located with a great view.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2011

It supposed to be a luxury Hotel but they charge you for Wifi and lot small items. I believe they attempted to rip you off with this and after you with a lot usually free items. Their so called business center charge a min of $10.00 for 10 minutes of internet use and $3.00 for a colored print and $1.5 for a black and white one. That is ridiculous

So think twice before you book with them. You need to add $20.00 to their room rate if you want to enjoy your stay as with other hotel which includes free wifi and coffee etc.

Room Tip: add 20.00 to the rate they offer
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I recently stayed at Harra's Lake Tahoe for Four nights. Upon arriving, check-in was hassle free and there was no waiting. The room I requested was ready for me and I found nothing wrong with the room. The room was clean and so were both bathrooms as well. Each day the cleaning service performed their jobs and I came back to my room with fresh towels and a clean room. The staff was friendly and the buffet upstairs was delicious. The only suggestion I have for them is to make smaller portion desserts so the food doesn't go to waste. I sampled seven different cakes because they all looked so good, but felt bad wasting so much food. I did use the pool and hot tub as well. Both were fine and enjoyable. The only drawback is that I too wish they offered free Wi-Fi. Overall my stay was pleasant.

Room Tip: Get to the buffet about thirty minutes before it opens because the line forms quickly and may get lo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We got an excellent rate directly from Harrah's and stayed three nights. The room was far better than we've found for the same price almost anywhere else. Spotless, well renovated, comfortable bed ... and, of course, two bathrooms. Not having to share is just one less thing to worry about. The bathrooms were not small, either. Good plumbing, nice towels, good-quality soap.

Harrah's seems to be the best of the mega casino hotels in Stateline, judging from reviews, and I'm not surprised. The downside of staying in any of these is losing some of the pleasant qualities of a mountain lake in the summer. It's the full-on Reno experience in miniature, though with nicer views. At Harrah's, you can buy a pass to a private beach for $5 a day, but it's quite a walk. I can see the appeal of a smaller beachside resort.

Apparently a lot of other people can, too, because Harrah's was not crowded at all, except for the Forest Buffet during the dinner rush. Our room was very quiet.

We ended up eating at Harrah's several times, and though the dining is not cheap, there are good options to be had. The ribs at the American River Cafe were excellent, and I got a very big portion for the price.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed here one night during our driving trip around the lake. Loved the dual bathrooms. All was comfortable, clean, and as expected. Staff was polite and helpful.

Room Tip: The walls seem thick so I don't know if there is a bad room in the hotel. Very quiet. Near He...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stateline
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe
Montbleu Resort Casino & Spa
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
#9 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Harveys Lake Tahoe
Harveys Lake Tahoe
#3 of 9 in Stateline

Been to Harrah's Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!