New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Ridge Pointe Tahoe

Ridge Pointe Tahoe
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Stateline
Sacramento, California
“Clean, comfortable, and quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I really enjoyed our stay here. I have stayed in the main resort buildings near the clubhouse before, but never at the Pointe. I actually found The Ridge Pointe to be somewhat cleaner and quieter than the other resort buildings. My biggest complaint with the Pointe is the check-in process. We arrived at around 5:00 PM. There are maybe 10 or so parking spaces in the front and then a ramp that leads down to underground parking. It is clearly marked and you can't miss it. Signs in the elevator tell you what floor everything is on. Floor 2 (ground level) is where it said the office is located. The office was locked up and there was no one there, but there is a bank of lockers, a phone, and a sign that says, "FOR CHECKING-IN OR TO CHECK-OUT PLEASE DIAL #3100". I pick up the phone and dial #3100. I get a busy signal. I waited and tried again and again got a busy signal. I waited and tried 2 more times with the same result. Finally, just to try something different, I dialed 3100 without the # in front of it. I got through to reception at the clubhouse up the road. The sign is telling you to dial number 3100, except they abbreviated number with the # sign and it is confusing thinking you have to hit the pound key. The woman on the phone gave me the locker number and the code to unlock it. She said to look for an envelope with my name on it. There wasn't one - only an envelope with someone else's name on it. She told me I would need to drive over to the clubhouse to check in at the front desk. Fortunately, having stayed at The Ridge before, I knew how to get there. They were very nice there and when the guy asked how my day was going, I said fine other than the check-in process, which is confusing. He apologized and gave me the code for free Internet for my trouble. After getting the keys, we drove back over to The Pointe and had a beautiful room on the 4th floor with a kitchenette, couch, nice big flat screen TV, and a mini-fridge. There is no air conditioning, but I knew that already. Most hotels in Lake Tahoe don't have air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan and that worked well enough for us, though without it and the window open it can get warm and stuffy. The furnishings, bedding, and carpet seemed new and there was even a scent of new carpet smell. The renovations seem not to have made it to the bathroom, which was decked out in 80s brass fixtures, but functional and clean at least. There is a nice BBQ area around back with a patio and tables facing a wonderful view of the valley, woods, and main resort. Here, there is also a spa that's 3 1/2 feet deep. All the pools and other activities are at the main resort clubhouse, which is only a short drive away. It would almost be within walking distance, but with the steep inclines and downgrades to get there, I wouldn't recommend walking. The elevator here is noisy, slow, and a bit scary, but that's no big deal. When you use your key to open the door to your room, it actually opens up into a little square entry where there are two more doors for 2 rooms and a stacked washer and dryer so to get to your room, you have to open the outer door and then the room door. There is a beautiful walking trail just across the street from The Point and you can see the Lake from it. I was not sure what to expect here. I've had some wonderful rooms at the main resort buildings and some not so good ones. This was definitely better than expected and I would stay again summer or winter!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JHunter26

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
County Armagh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is the first time I've ever left a bad review but I felt I had to warn people so they don't waste their money. Basically there is no air conditioning so if its warm weather the rooms are stiflingly hot. I paid for three nights but had to leave after one losing my money as I had booked through a third party. It was like a scene from cool hand Luke, waking up in a pool of sweat at three in the morning. You have been warned.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Balsie

Travelers are raving about these Stateline hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I would not recommend this hotel suite. They left a nail on the floor and I stepped on it. When I called the front desk, they just ignored me. Getting someone at the office also was really hard. Everything was locked and I had to go to the main office which was miles away just to check in. I booked this place base on good reviews, but apparently it was not all good. Finally it is located in the worst area where you have to drive up and down on one way streets to get from the front desk and back.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank leviathanultima
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed in a 2-bedroom condo through an Interval International exchange. This was my first trip to Lake Tahoe, and this resort is in an excellent location for day trips throughout the area. The condo was spacious, clean, and the kitchen was very well-equipped. Grocery stores are nearby.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Karen K
Gardnerville, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

This place was amazing- we stayed just one night, wish we could've stayed longer. The two bedroom suite was huge- nice big living room and kitchen, our bedroom had a large spa tub in it and the other bedroom had a sofa bed in it. The second sofa bed was in the living area, the kids said it wasn't very comfortable...we used the hot tub and sauna and the game room with pool table. It was my parents anniversary and we were considering other options but glad we chose this one because it was big enough to hang out in and make meals, watch movies, etc. The price was unbeatable too- we got a great spring deal for half off the regular price. I will definitely recommend this place to our friends and most likely will return myself. The only negative is the check-in is 4pm and the check-out is 10am. We arrived early and they did let us check in at 2pm so that was nice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank mellisnv
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

Ridge Pointe is complex with several buildings on top of a ridge next to the Stagecoach Lift at Heavenly. One of the buildings is a hotel whereas the other buildings are timeshares. I took the newly built gondola from Stagecoach lift to the main building. Check out the gondola. It's really cute and fun.
They left me check in early, which was great since I was really tired from skiing. The room was clean and quiet, so no complaints there. However, upon my return in the evening, the room temperature was 80 degrees. There was no controls anywhere to turn off the heat. I probably should have called, but just turned on the ceiling fan. It was strange to be so warm in a room in the middle of January.
There is underground parking in case it snows.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank lapr
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

I've stayed here about six or seven times over the years and never been disappointed ALTHOUGH I CAN UNDERSTAND SOME OF THE COMPLAINTS BY OTHERS, especially if they were renting rather than timeshare owners already famiiar with the place. I already knew, for example, that a studio suite would not have a full kitchen nor a view of the lake, and that there isn't much staff on site, and the somewhat unusual check-in methods/locations which can be difficult if they don't inform you in advance. The one-bedroom units do indeed have fireplace, COMPLETE kitchen with everything you could want, balconies with views of the valley. The lack of restaurants doesn't bother me as we usually go with the plan of cooking in our room to save money, and we ride the resort bus over to the free movie theater, ping-pong tables, exercise classes, etc.

My last trip was in Oct. 2009; the one-bedroom had been completely renovated with new furniture, IPOD dock, etc. I felt relief that my timeshare maintenance fees were going for something.

My brother and I, in 2006, decided to try out ALL 13 of the hot tubs in the Ridge Tahoe complex in one day [it actually took one afternoon and one morning.] We decided the one at Ridge Pointe is still the best [although it was closed for repairs when I was there in 2009.]

I've stayed at one other complex on the same side of the mountain as Ridge Pointe -- don't remember if it was Kingsbury or The Ridge -- and found Ridge Pointe to be much more modern, much better lit, better quality everything. From the limited glances I've gotten of other rooms in other buildings as we walked by, I still like Ridge Pointe best.

There are reasonably-priced restaurants down the hill a short distance, some with two-for-one coupons available through Entertainment.com for timeshare owners.

I'm going back in Oct. 2011 and hope everything is as good as I've always found it to be.

And I will add that in 1999 or so when we rented for a couple of nights, the fold-out sofa that the children were to sleep on was broken. We asked for a different room, and were told too bad, just like if you went to a hotel and the TV was broken, that would just be your tough luck and you wouldn't get another one. But in the end, they gave us an entire additional studio suite for the children, so it worked out even better than having the sleeper sofa in the living room fixed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank Ispeak4u
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stateline
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#10 of 68 in South Lake Tahoe
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe
The Ridge Tahoe
The Ridge Tahoe
#4 of 8 in Stateline

Been to Ridge Pointe Tahoe? Share your experiences!