“Good location, needs work, terrible blocked view”
Review of Harveys Lake Tahoe

Harveys Lake Tahoe
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Stateline
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Good location, needs work, terrible blocked view”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay so we could ski, and gamble. My husband chose upgraded room, but a lower floor since we wouldn't be in the room much. Lower would have been ok but they didn't say blocked view when we booked online either. The room was large, and decor was more updated than others in pictures, but the bathroom didn't match the room updates. Bathroom was in need of upgraded decor and carpet seemed worn more than decor. There were 2 sinks and lots of space with tub and shower. The room was supposed to be a mountain view, but there was a wall blocking our entire view, so I have no idea how they consider it mountain view. They were only half full on the week day we arrived but the weekend portion supposedly was almost fully sold out, so I have to assume that was the reason for no view. There were problems with the elevators and we had to be escorted to use stairs. During our last am there, pipes burst causing the lobby to flood due to extreme cold. That made getting to hotel floors difficult. We had checked out and were planning to shower in the gym. They actually charge $5 per person to shower and use their changing rooms after you check out. That was super cheesy. Casino drink service can be very slow with weak cocktails. The hot tub seemed like it was very old and the water level was low. This could be a much better place with some work. I have stayed at Marriott and I would stay there again and walk the block to the casino next time.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
rocklin
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Of course a casino will offer you discounted rooms to entice you to stay and gamble. I booked a room for my boyfriend and I, which was over $100 at the discounted price, and attempted to add an additional night. Nothing going on in the city; yet, price went higher in 20 minutes of booking.
Rooms are clean, but simple. I'm assuming this is the tower for the "discounted" rooms offered. We tried to enjoy the spa at 9:30, and shockingly they closed at 9pm. Wow....never heard of any spa closing so early, especially in Nevada. Casinos were slow, last time stating here. Stick with Monte Bleu

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank tr21
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I didn't realize I left my house keys and camera in my room safe until a few day's after I got home! Called Harvey's housekeeping and got the friendliest person " Esmerelda" on the phone! She found all my stuff! Soooo Happy! Thanks Esmerelda!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have stayed in hotels all around Tahoe and this might be my least favorite. It's just not my cup of tea. If you like to gamble, and ski/board it is walking distance to Gondola and has a lot of casino action. In the summer they have concerts and they have good banquit facilities for corporate meetings.
The Pool is bla and the hot tub is nothing to write home about either. We have had two different rooms here, one updated and with a lake view and one... well... not. Your room can vary wildly so book early and ask.
I have stayed across the street at the Marriott for less, with better service, nicer pool and only thing missing is the casino. If you are not there to Play, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Good hotel right by ski mountain. You can walk right to the Gondula.Good food and nice casino. Room was big and bathroom was nice also. Great place for the price and location. Ski rentals were easy right in the hotel........................................................................................................

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mountain View, California
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I unfortunately got bad rooms - they overlooked the roof of a building with piping and smelled of cigarettes even though I had booked non-smoking and had been led to expect a lake view. After essentially being told "Tough luck" by the hotel staff - I tried to resolve my dissatisfaction by compromise - offering to pay for one upgrade of the two rooms i had booked. The staff, including the manager not only uninterested in resolving the issue, they were very rude about it - telling me they would easily sell out the hotel and make the $25 per room from someone else if i wasn't prepared to pay. Clearly this hotel is more concerned over $25 than ensuring their customers are happy. If you dont mind that the staff are rude, at least do yourself a favor and ensure you book a deluxe room - the standard rooms are sub-standard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Glen A
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We always stay at Harvey's between Christmas and NYE every year and still love it. First off, you can't beat the Stateline location. Secondly, Harvey's is a stone throw to Heavenly Village where you can take the gondola up to ski/snowboard and where there are plenty of shopping and dining options to choose from. One of our favorites is Fire + Ice; check it out for sure!

While the rooms in the main tower (not mountain tower) are a bit dated with older fixtures and wallpaper, they're pretty spacious with large bathrooms and vanity areas. I especially like that the separate shower has glass a door instead of a curtain. Germaphobes can appreciate that I'm sure. The beds and bedding are nicer than average plus there are in room safes. There is also a desk, small table and flat screen TV.

We absolutely LOVE the outdoor heated pool and hot tub, especially in the winter when its snowing. There is nothing better than sitting outside in the hot tub, looking up at the falling snow and having it evaporate before it hits your face. If you prefer something warmer, Harrah's allows use of their amenities and has an indoor pool and hot tub.

If you're a Total Rewards member, the Diamond Lounge is awesome with free appetizers and adult beverages.

While Harrah's is more upscale than Harvey's, it can sometimes feel like more of a party scene. The casino is busier and there is a night club there. If that is what you're looking for, the properties are connected so you won't have to worry about walking outside in the winter and can easily shuffle back and forth between both.

Of all the years we've been coming to Harvey's, we did have a few setbacks this trip:
1. We could hardly spend any time in the casino because the cigarette smoke was so thick. We don't normally experience this here so we hope it was just a one time flaw.
2. Two of the on duty Total Rewards (Diamond) hosts was neither accommodating nor friendly. I'm sorry to say, but if we're loosing major bucks in a casino it would be nice to not be treated poorly on top of it. While our room may have been comp'd, we definitely paid for it and then some gambling.
3. The valet kid was rude and impatient. This of course translates into making a guest feel like we're taking up his valuable time. In turn, I ended up having to find a bellman to assist with our luggage. He was of course pleasant.

All in all we still love Harvey's and will be back to stay again. We would recommend it to travels visiting South Lake Tahoe.

If you're an experienced ski/snowboarder, make your way over to Kirkwood for the day! The terrain is much more fun than Heavenly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the "California side". I've always thought this was the best pan...