“Hotel Excellent, Food Adequate, Casino Below Average”
Review of Harveys Lake Tahoe

Harveys Lake Tahoe
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Stateline
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was my second stay at Harvey's, and I was NOT disappointed with the hotel either time. The rooms are excellent (I was in the 2 Queen Luxury room), and this year the price was much better (because I lost so much money the year before). I was able to get a room for 3 nights at about $35/night, but for non-gamblers, the rate is usually about $100 per night (sometime as high as $130 depending on season). Rates can change weekly, and look for their promo deals in advance of your trip (2-3 months before). When I first booked my 4th night it was $130, and I ended up getting it for $90 4 weeks later.

The rooms were big enough and the bathrooms were excellent. I was there with friends, so I have no idea about the views (we stayed on 5th floor with a view of parking garage, but we knew that and it was no big deal for us). The one issue I did have is with the TV reception. The TVs were new, but the clarity of the picture was distorted a bit (maybe because the HD connection was slower?-----but this was not a huge deal unless you are there to watch a lot of TV).

The convenience to the gondola was excellent, so if you are there to ski, you walk 1 block into California, pick up your skis from one of the two rental places there, and you are set. They also give a discount at one of the places for Harvey's guests. The jacuzzi is outside and they keep it and the heated pool open all year. TIP----Bring crox or some type of shoe you do not mind getting wet walking to-and-fro to the jacuzzi (the ground is COLD). Jacuzzi is full of skiers in the evenings, but we can behave ourselves, and can tone down the language when kids are around.

I reviewed the casino in a separate entry, but as stated in my title, I think the casino is below average mainly because of the comp system is flawed for poker players and the blackjack always pays 6:5. I would never plan a trip here just to gamble.

I ate the American River Cafe (on the Harrah's side), Hard Rock Cafe, Caba Woba and at Starbucks. Food was good, but nothing special. I heard good things about the fancier restaurants, but did not go there myself.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank NorthCarolina621
Write a ReviewReviews (3,512)

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We had a great weekend at Harveys in Lake Tahoe. The location is just fantastic and you have everything you need right there! Now it is a casino- which was great with me... but you do had the smoke to consider. Yet there are so many choices in the hotel to eat, drink and have fun. We ate at the Hard Rock Cafe, Cabo Wabo, Starbucks, and the Local Cafe- all were just great. If you want more choices- the hotel is connected to Harrahs via underground walkway. We also went to the comedy club- very fun night. The location for skiing was the best- a very short walk to the slopes and ski rental. So convenient
Now the rooms were just ok. The bathroom was great and the rooms are very large- however, the furniture is very outdated and the carpets old and stained. But overall, clean and quiet. The service was wonderful and everyone in the entire town was sooooo nice. We received great service everywhere we went- check out the local brewery for good beer, food and great service. Overall- the stay at Harveys was great- especially for the price.

Room Tip: A higher room is better to avoid noise from above.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank rawtravel
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Went to Tahoe with a few friends and decided to stay at one of the casinos for the first time. Usually we stay and the smaller less classy hotels but this time we wanted a change. It was the best decision. Instead of walking in the freezing cold to from a small hotel to the large casinos we were already there! I love that there is a tunnel connecting Harvey's and Harrah's. Seriously the most convenient Tahoe stay ever!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed February 17, 2012

As a skier, being forced to walk through a smokey casino to reach my hotel room after each day was a turn off.
It's hard to believe, but there's really no breakfast in the hotel other than a little Starbucks without food!
You can do better.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

I planned trip to Lake Tahoe for my wife's 30th bday! We have traveled to Rome, Florence, Zurich, Luzerne, and all over the United States. Tahoe in the snow is one of the prettiest places we have ever seen. We came in from Sacramento and Highway 50 was amazing! So is hwy 28 up by Emerald Bay (only about 20 mins or less drive from Harveys). Almost all the rooms are designed "like" a corner room giving you a panorameric view of the lake. It is THE best view from a hotel in the South lake Tahoe area. Though Harrah's is closeby. Harvey's is also a 5 min walk from Heavenly Gondola (AMAZING skiing and views!!!), which is well worth the $32 even if just for the view on the way up. (don't go when cloudy). We are not big gamblers so don't know about all that.

We didn't eat here either. However, Harvey's is pretty central and you could walk 10 mins to many hotels/casinos, restaurants, shops, heavenly gondola and village.

We had a wonderful stay. Lake Tahoe South is just full of surreal beauty so go with a upper level room! Lastly, the people were all very nice. Concerige took great care of us as far as making reservations for excursions or restaurants (free!). We have been to many upscale resorts and these rooms are very nice (maybe a lil dated but still....) and the service is grand!

Reviewed February 16, 2012

We spent Feb 10 here for a small family get together. We love Harvey's as it brings back great memories. In May 1998 we had room 1701, the best suite in the hotel, for 2 nights. We got married in the wedding chapel...white, mauve and black colors with 18' windows on 3 sides.
We used this fabulous 1701 suite for our wedding reception as it is a VERY large suite with a balcony and windows on all 3 walls overlooking the pristine Lake Tahoe.
The rooms are very spacious, clean with lots of marble and amenities...and, of course, a great view of the lake.
Harveys will always be one of our favorites.

Room Tip: just ask for a room with a view of the lake:)
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We were looking for an affordable hotel in Tahoe that had dining and gaming options. We wanted to save some of our money for skiing and other activities. This hotel fit the bill. The room was nicer than I expected. Some deatures in the room were dated, but overall, it was nice and our room had a very spacious bathroom.

The dining options in the hotel were OK. Duting the week, the selection was more limited. We had plans to venture out to dine around Tahoe, but the weather prevented us from going to far. It was nice to have the starbucks in the lobby.

We enjoyed the casino as well. It was more smoky than the large Vegas casinos (this was especially noticeable on the weekends).

My favorite part was the view from our room. We had a lake view tower, in a room above the tree line. The view was stunning, loved it! And I highly recommend this room category.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stateline
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Lakeside Inn and Casino
Lakeside Inn and Casino
#2 of 9 in Stateline
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#7 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#9 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to Harveys Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!