“Good value, great for Casino fans” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Western Village Inn & Casino

Western Village Inn & Casino
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Sparks
Princeton, New Jersey
“Good value, great for Casino fans”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

If you like Casino style decor, thins is the place for you. (I don't but we needed a hotel in Sparks to visit some friends and this one was well located for that.). I checked several other standard chain hotels (including some I had stayed in before) but all were more expensive and in less convenient locations. For us, the great advantage of this one was it's proximity to Sparks Marina which afforded a great place to walk around. (The Reno/Sparks area used to be such a desert because of its lack of recreational and cultural amenities but over the 30 years that we have been visiting it has added a number of attractions, including a wonderful river walk in Reno, the Sparks Marina, and the Reno Art Museum.). The hotels associated with casinos tend to be garish but often fairly good deals price wise. This one certainly was - a good sized room (although the bathroom was a little small) for 3 nights cost about $50 less per night that several other chain motels I checked. No free breakfast, but for $50 you can get a pretty good breakfast for two people! One reason we stayed there was that we intended to take a group to dinner at the Steak house that is part of the complex. It had been described by my Reno friends as a "local secret." Unfortunately we didn't try to make a reservation until the day we wanted to eat, and. It was already fully booked - suggesting that the locals are right.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gogocar
WV_guest_service, Guest Relations Manager at Western Village Inn & Casino, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy that you found our property to be affordable and conveniently located. I'm sorry to hear that you were unable to experience what your Reno friends talked about. I have to agree that our Steakhouse is truly a "local secret" and everyone who experiences it loves the food, staff and all the extra touches we provide.

Thank you for sharing your comments, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Robin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Montara, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I needed a hotel in Sparks and this one came up as a "Peppermill owned" property, and since we always stay at the Peppermill downtown Reno we thought this must be good.

Pictures are deceiving!!!! I could not have been more wrong. We asked for a non-smoking room, but as soon as we entered we bombarded by the smell of stale smoke. It was like someone had just smoked a pack in there and did not open any windows or turn on a fan. GROSS! You can tell they tried to mask the smell with a very strong air freshener.

Bottom line - I could not breathe! It was horrible and I could not wait to leave the next morning. Thank GOD they had a window I could open, which helped. My advice is DO NOT STAY HERE, it's cheap for a reason. Furnishings are VERY OLD, it's run down, even though they did update the beds, the rest of the hotel is old, worn and dated.

Restaurant was average, Casino is small and a little out dated as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Debbie S
WV_guest_service, Guest Relations Manager at Western Village Inn & Casino, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Debbie S ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize that your room was not fresh smelling. Please don't hesitate to come back to the front desk if there's a problem.

We are in the process of installing state of the art smoke abatement technology to help with this issue. Also we are working on some refurbishing of the rooms.

We do hope that in the future you would consider giving us another try.

Robin
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

A very nice steak house: but only second best in Reno/Sparks area IMHO.
Start with the bread, 3 different types to enjoy, appetizer next: Scallops wrapped with bacon, prepared nice but not much taste in the scallops They do a Great Job servicing soup and Salad, The entire was served and the potato was just left sitting on the plate with the condiments sitting on the side, waiting for something to happen. I was disappointed.
The meat was of good quality; wish they would use a Prime grade.
Overall it is very good, I will dine there again, maybe they will read this and give the potato half the attention they give the rest of their meal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael B
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Clean room with comfortable bed. Mini fridge, no microwave. Dated decor. Flat screen TV with about 35 channels. Easy parking with elevator. Casino short walk across parking lot. Lots of fast food nearby

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SkiUSA
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My experience at this hotel was very, very nice. I was there for 10 days and found the staff, from the registration desks to the cleaning staff to the restaurant servers to the casino workers to be excellent, friendly, and helpful. My room was very nice and clean with a refrigerator. I especially appreciated having a place to keep fruit and drinks. The room also had free wifi and free coffee. I mention the coffee because I did not have this in the next place I stayed. This hotel is in walking distance to local restaurants, convenience store, and bank. I will add that the bed was extremely comfortable, quite the opposite of another review of this hotel. They offer free shuttle service to downtown and the public bus stop is directly across the street from the property. Finally, the food was very good and inexpensive. Although local gamblers were coming and going at all hours, I always felt safe in this hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I was offered a room with a view of the marina, so I suppose you could request it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Fritz6233
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I went with a beautiful person and had a great time, food was great and we won some money, sometimes the experience is the best part, I would go back if I could take the same person, plus there is an awesome sporting store and the other side of the lake

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank dagwood11
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Front desk is near casino and the place is filled with smoke but the room was descent and I like that there was a walking trail nearby. The hotel also had a restaurant with good waitstaff and good food at a reasonable price defintiely would stay here again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BellaAng
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparks
Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Nugget Casino Resort
Nugget Casino Resort
#2 of 17 in Sparks
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,475 reviews

Been to Western Village Inn & Casino? Share your experiences!