“Nothing special”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had oysters & peel & eat shrimp. Oysters were good. Shrimp were a little rubbery. Good beer. Decor needs to be updated, it's vey dark & dated. Almost musty.

There are newer reviews for John A's Oyster Bar

Reviewed August 27, 2013

o.k. the place looks a little cheezy with the nautical décor,and the uniforms. but get past that and enjoy some of the best seafood anywhere at a great price.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

It was not busy and they sat us right by the soda/wait station. The bread is hard as a rock. Fish was awful. I had the shrimp scampi and it was ok. the shrimp kind of tasted like bleach though if you ate one by itself :( We won't eat there again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We did enjoy this restaurant, however, I wish they had a broiled seafood combo or more broiled choices on the menu. My husband and I enjoyed what we had, and the prices were very good. I had a huge lobster roll and could barely finish. He had the cioppino and enjoyed it but not his usual choice.

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

After walking a long walk through the Nugget Casino, we finally made our destination where we were seated immediately. We were immediately served iced water and bread. The bread was a quarter of a small loaf and it was awful. We started with the oysters on the shell, nicely iced with lots of lemon wedges, a hardy horseradish and cocktail sauce. The field greens salad was just about all chopped romaine with a half egg and two small tomato, not too exciting. My steamed mussels were ordinary and my husband's salmon scampi was very average. The decor was very pleasant on the nautical theme but food very average.