“A nice place for lighter appetites”

Sparks Black Bear Diner
Ranked #9 of 273 Restaurants in Sparks
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Ready for a big meal after tackling the Sparks Marina or Wild Island Family Adventure Park? Do you need a big breakfast to kickstart your day? Want to wind down after work with a yummy dessert? No matter what your day or night entails, the Black Bear Diner knows exactly what you need — reliable service and tasty food! Come down and treat yourself right!
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We ordered from the lighter fare menu. I had the pork bbq ribs which were perhaps a little over-cooked and a bit fatty, but didn't stop me from eating it all. Good service, not terribly busy, which can be a plus. This is my 4th Black Bear diner to eat at. I like the decor and relatively low noise level, but the food itself is average. Steak at an Auburn, CA site was rubbery. Nice to have a lighter appetite fare for those not starving for a big dinner.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

For at least 4 years now, we eat here very regularly (anywhere from once a week to once every two weeks). They serve home style diner cuisine in "bear size" portions. They also offer smaller sized ones on their "little less" menu section..The restaurant is decorated in bears and usually has a free jukebox going. We regularly order the Tri-tip or the trout. Mama Bear, their mascot, make occasional appearances for the kids, as well as they sometimes hand out balloons, although recently they moved them to the back for the convenience of people allergic to latex. They also readily stamp our son's hand with a bear paw- all you need to do is ask. This location no longer offers kids eating free on Teddy bear Tuesdays though.

1  Thank Drevik
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is a wonderful place for eating out with your children, especially for breakfast! We typically go to the Black Bear Diner off of S. Virginia in Reno but today, we stopped here for a late breakfast after running errands. They have plenty of tasty menu options for kids including a huge portion of choco-chip pancakes for only $3.99! We were seated immediately, our server was very attentive and the food was prepared quickly and tasted great! Our server (Marilee) had several larger tables she was handling but she always kept us on her radar and my kids commented several times about how nice she was :) The restaurant was doing a fundraiser for Make-A-Wish and it was nice being able to contribute to that foundation after enjoying a great breakfast!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We always try to stop at a Big Bear Diner for breakfast, or lunch. We have eaten there for dinner. The menu is varied and the food very tasty. I can't recommend the corned beef hash though, unless you really like brisket. The restaurant is always busy, so service is usually very good, but can be a little slow. Good bet for diner type food.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My friends and I eat here every year when we are in town for Street Vibes. We have a group of about 15-20 and have always been able to be seated with in minutes. This year I ate the taco salad and it was fantastic, could ne even finish it it was so big. The other dish I usually have is the chicken fried steak. There are two sizes to this meal so make sure you order for your appitite because the big one is surely big. See ya next year ;)

Been to Sparks Black Bear Diner? Share your experiences!