“Outstanding Hotel and Dining” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nugget Casino Resort

Nugget Casino Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Sparks
Mono County
“Outstanding Hotel and Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

The Nugget is the best hotel and dining value in the Reno-Sparks area! We live about 2 hours away and travel to the Reno area frequently for shopping, etc. The Nugget is a large facility, but far more friendly and personal than the other Reno-Sparks Hotel Casinos. The food is always outstanding, from the economical buffet (intimate dining) to the first class restaurants. The indoor spa and pool are incredible--you have to see it to believe it! We always stay here if they have room.

• Liked — Large clean modern rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Mono_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Polish first
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

Another pleasant stay. Beautiful, spacious hotel in Sparks. Air package included Executive Floor room (28th floor) with nice view. Quiet room, large bathroom, good facility. Dining was outstanding . The Steakhouse, Trader Dick's, and Orozko - food and service was excellent. Free airport shuttle. City bus stop right ourtside their door. I will be back.

1 Thank David'sTravel
San Anselmo, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2007

We checked in, went to the room and were so turned off by a horrid smell we left. The room was also completely outdated. I spoke with the front desk and they didn't have an alternative, so we went home. We were there for an event. I emailed the hotel and never heard back. I'd stay elsewhere in Reno, the Siena or the Eldorado.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank NVRam123

Travelers are raving about these Sparks hotels

Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2007

I booked through Hotels.Com for one night and directly through the hotel for 3 additional nights. Was advised on check in that I had to check out the next day and check back in because I used Hotels.Com. The room was dirty (stained sheets, blood on wall in bathroom) and furnishings were old and dated. When I wanted to be moved to the tower (nicer portion of the Nugget) for the remaining 3 nights (the price was slightly higher but worth it) I was advised I would be charged a cancellation fee of one night and then told by two separate managers there were no rooms available. After bringing it to the attention of the Hotel Manager the next day, I was moved to the tower, upgraded to a suite, and comped one night. Cancellation fee was waived. If not for the total turn around thanks to the Hotel Mgr., would have been the worst hotel stay ever.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2007

The hotel is located between a railroad yard and a major highway. I stayed in the East Tower on the 15th floor overlooking the railroad and didn't get proper sleep for 5 nights due to the noise. I woke up with the noise of giant cranes loading the traines at 2 AM and called the manager on duty and complained about the noise. He said that he could move me to the West Tower but then I would complain about the highway noise, so the best way is to use ear plugs! He also said that the hotel management does not hold themselves accountable since the external noise is out of their control.

I think that is outrageous! I understand that they may not be able to stop the external noise, but they should inform the potential customers about this fact. They should write in their web site and reservation forms with big bold letters that the hotel is located between an active railroad yard and a busy highway.

The wireless connection was also very poor. When I complained at the end of my stay one more time, the manager said that I am the only one that complained, but this is not true becasue I stayed there as part of a conference and many people that I spoke to complained about the same problems.

On the other aspects, the rooms were OK. There are several restaurants in the hotel. The buffet and the steakhouse are very good for Reno standards, but they close early, sometimes even before their standard close time. There is a 24/7 diner that becomes handy after hours. The pool located on the 5th floor is very good.

The interpass between the hotel and the parking lot is located on the 2nd floor. The interpass is surrounded by the video game arcaide in both sides which makes it difficult for families with kids to take the interpass. They should contain the video games behind the walls so that only those interested in the games can have access.

In summary, I wouldn't stay in this hotel again. This place is suitable only for frequent gamblers who prefer to stay up all night long in the casino.

• Stayed May 2007
6 Thank thatismeAz
Manhattan Beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2007

I stayed here for a convention May 4-5. This was my first time to Reno and to the Nugget- needless to say I was not impressed with the city or the hotel.

I was warned by fellow colleagues to only stay in the West Tower which had updated rooms. When I walked into my room on 24th floor it was like was like taking a trip back to 1982. I can't imagine what the East Tower rooms are like. The room was decorated in an awful blue tones and when I pulled back the blue-velvet bedspread, there were stains all over the inside of it. My view was of train tracks and a junk yard. If you are used to staying in chain hotels...Marriott, Westin, etc...be prepared! There are no large hotel chains in this city and now I know why!

The food at the deli downstairs was not that great either. Let's just say I'm glad I only had to spend one night there!

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank beach567
Sacramento
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

I did not anticipate writing a review and did not take the camera to document this $245 "Petite Suite". What I did anticipate was a romantic overnight stay with my wife. Put it this way, neither one of us was "in the mood" at this place. It might not have been so bad if we had packed our flip flops to wear from bathroom to bed- the carpet was that disgusting. The decor was so dated and cheap, I felt like I was on a college-budget roadtrip. The only saving grace is that the Jacuzzi tub worked, but the toiletres were anything but luxurious and the bathroom fixtures were rental unit fare. The room was hot and humid when we entered and did not cool down by the time we returned from our show. We would have requested a different room, but only had time to dress for the show and it seems that most of the property hasn't been updated since we were there 12 years ago. I was impressed by the indoor pool area (a dozen years ago), but it has been neglected over the years. I emailed the hotel and gave them a week to respond. Since they have made no attempt to contact me, this is what I have to say, "Don't waste your money on a 'Petite Suite' at John Ascuaga's Nugget Casino Resort."

• Liked — Entertainment
  • Disliked — Room Quality
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank mblar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparks
Circus Circus Hotel and Casino-Reno
The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Victorian Inn
Victorian Inn
#6 of 17 in Sparks

Been to Nugget Casino Resort? Share your experiences!