“Reno rib cook off!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Sparks
Sacramento, California
“Reno rib cook off!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have only stayed here for the reno rib cook off and have done so 2 years in a row now. I recommend arriving early or you will have to wait in HUGE lines for check in. I learned this after my first year staying there during the rib cook off. This is a great hotel to stay at for this event since that is where it is held. You can stuff your face with ribs then relax in your room. This past stay they upgraded our room for free! The rooms are a little dated, well a lot of dated. The hotel is in the process of doing room upgrades and haven't got to that tower yet. The room was LARGE and open, great for the main meeting place for all of our friends and it even had a jet tub in the bathroom!

Room Tip: Tr to get a room in the updated tower
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Polish first
Susanville, California, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I make it tradition to stay a night or two in Reno. So picking hotels is usually interesting. We picked The Nugget because of the low rates they were offering on a jacuzzi suite (~$70/night). When we arrived, the staff was very friendly. Entering our room, it smelled clean and looked clean. I think that the colors/decor was the only instant turn off. If I remember right, the jacuzzi was a burnt orange color. But besides the decor, we were satisfied with our stay. It was peaceful, the bed was comfortable, and so was the ugly couch :) The pool was impressive. I loved the little waterfall that we were allowed to swim under. I heard recently that it is no longer allowed though. It was large and had little personal corners that you can sit in if you wanted to be away from the crowd. The hot tub was nice too. Good stay, great rate!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

First time staying here. Booked the west tower. After reading trip advisor changed to east tower. Stayed on 5th floor. Close to pool and gym. Pool was gorgeous. Reminded me of cruise ship with covered atrium. Room was updated with flat screen tv and new furniture and finishes. Took elevator down to 2nd floor and could access covered parking garage via skywalk. Took elevator down to lobby and casino,Rosie's coffee shop,Starbucks, trader dicks, rotisserie buffet,noodle bowl and bars were there. Very easy access. One last comment. Every single employee we interacted with was friendly. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was at this hotel for a conference. I want to start with the positive. The staff is super nice. The cleaning ladies, the restaurant servers, the room service servers, and the desk staff except for the bell desk staff but I'll talk about that later. The hotel is also very clean and they offer little extras that others don't. For instance, there is a seven dollar a day charge and for that fee you get 2 free bottles of water a day and a free shuttle to and from the airport which is super convenient. I stayed on a high floor and the views of the mountain are breathtaking. The room service food is great, I suggest getting the chocolate cake for dessert - yum! Finally the maids are like magicians - I left my room late in the day for one short hour and I came back an my room was made back and spotless -these women are the best I've ever seen, give them a raise.

Okay prepare yourself to be transported back to the eighties. I stayed in the un-renovated west tower. Loud rose pattern wallpaper... loud! It used to wake me up at night. The carpet is some wild red and green craziness. I've seen carpet this wild in casinos in Las Vegas but never in a room. The bed was covered with this aqua marine velvet cover that looked like it was ages old. It had sneaker marks on it and was so yucky that luckily the maid never put it back on the bed. It was like a slip cover for a bed, I've never seen anything like it. I watched Argo on Pay Per View and the film is set in the seventies and I feel like the room set the right Ambiance. In the hotel code of conduct they had this rule that you could not wear vests or gang colors. I have never seen this at any hotel. I googled the hotel name and there was a motorcycle shootout between two groups in the last couple of years.

The hotel was clean and the staff was nice except for the bell desk. I called the front desk for an excursion or a day tour. They transferred me to the bell desk. I asked if there were any sightseeing tours. The man said, "one minute." He put the phone down, a women asked "what does he want." The man said, "he wants a sightseeing tour," and they laughed their heads off and then he said "oooppps" and click I was on hold. I wouldn't have called except a website said the hotel desk arranged tours and excursions. When he came back on the line he was half laughing and gave me a phone number to call; a dead end. I felt like an idiot. I stayed Feb 15-18, 2013 FYI.

My conference was in the east tower and it was like a completely different hotel. Renovated, new, light and bright. I felt cheated when I saw the east tower. I hated to leave the east tower at the end of the conference day. Sigh... Also cigarette smoke permeates everything. I love Vegas and often played in Vegas casinos sitting next to smokers but the ventilation keeps everything comfortable. Here there was this heavy smokiness to the air. I didn't notice it so much in the east tower but maybe the update decor distracted me.

Room Tip: Stay in the East tower. Demand it up front.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gmoney2173
New Harmony, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I travel to Reno/Sparks twice a year to visit his children. We have always chosen to stay at the "Nugget" because it is close to the children. The hotel does have some of the best food at great prices. We have always found our hotel room to be clean although when we took showers the hot water only lasted 5-7 minutes tops. One thing I want to mention is how loud the I-80 traffic is (having a north view room). We also valet and have our bags brought to our room. My husband noticed after 15-20 minutes that the bell boys just left them outside non-attended in the MIDDLE of the road where they could have easily been hit by a vehicle. When asked about that, they told him they were kind of busy right now. Hmmm To say the least, it was a very disappointing stay at the nugget.

Room Tip: I am not sure if they have any "quiet" rooms North is I-80 and south is the railroad yar...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Klamath Falls, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Have been staying at the Nugget for years. Seen the changes with the Great Recession but they are trying to keep quality. If you don't want to feel like cattle feeding at a trough the Nugget has one of the best buffets in atmosphere and selection of food. I recommend the East Tower for rooms since they have been remodeled, and eating at the Orozko Restaurant for food and quality of service. If you are there on a Thursday go to the Wine Tasting at the Orozko Lounge where they serve tapas paired with wine and have live music while you sip. The casino is clean with a variety of slots from penny to video poker machines and table games. It is lively on weekends with live music and dancing. The indoor heated pool is beautiful and loved by the kids, which can makes it less enjoyable for adults. If you are lucky enjoy the pool when the kiddies are in school. All in all the Nugget is for adults and families not for 20 year olds who want to party in Las Vegas style.

Room Tip: East Tower rooms are best. Hopefully they will remodel the West Tower soon. During summer lower flo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Southeast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a business conference. I did my research on this site, thankfully, and I knew I wanted a room in the East tower. My room was updated, clean, and comfortable. It was not upscale, but fine. Everything previous posters said is true-- the noise from the highway and the railroad was evident all night.

I visited a friend's room in the West tower and it was a different experience--dated, mushy beds, bedspreads with cigarette holes, and just plain gross. I would have not been able to stay in that room.

As the other reviews indicate, the hotel, as a whole, is outdated. The restaurants and casino have an 80s vibe. The exercise room has old machines (twice, two different treadmills stopped without warning). Everything needs refreshing. While my room was fine, given everything else, I will not return.

Room Tip: Request the east tower or find somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparks
Circus Circus Hotel and Casino-Reno
The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Victorian Inn
Victorian Inn
#6 of 17 in Sparks

Been to Nugget Casino Resort? Share your experiences!