“Relieved” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Sparks
Sacramento, California
“Relieved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

Booked this place on Hotwire. This property came up and I was very concerned due to the past reviews. Upon checking in, the lobby was nice; the front desk was friendly and smiling. I was telling my friends I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. First room we got had a defective sink (according to housekeeping). We get our new room within minutes. Believe me, I inspected that room and I could find nothing wrong with it. The room was clean. The bed was comfortable. My room was situated just above the pool area. It was quiet. The sound insulation from the outside is amazing. I walked across to my friends in their hotel room that faces the freeway. I heard nothing! I thought to myself...what is wrong with this hotel? We were here for the rib cook off, and they had a free shuttle (roundtrip) which was very convenient. If you happen to arrive back at the hotel late and a lot of events are going on (a concert, the rib cook off, Burning Man), parking gets scarce and you need to create your own parking space. Other than that, I'm a very happy customer. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool area have a southern sun exposure, so you'll have the sun shining into you...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
workatholidayinn, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us over the Rib Cook Off in Sparks. We appreciate your candor and our goal is for you have a great stay in a clean and comfortable room with a caring staff to serve you.

We hope you will come back and see us the next time you travel to the Reno-Sparks area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

I just want to say I was very please with my stay at this hotel. The bed slept good, no problems with the elevators as my other family members experience sleeping else where. The staff was very friendly and helpful the shuttle to and from the cook off was a blessing! Than you holiday Inn for making our stay worthwhile.

Room Tip: 7th floor not bad
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for letting us know about your great stay and experience here at the Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks over the Labor Day Weekend! We appreciate knowing that you were well taken care of and it was convenient for the Rib Cook Off too.

We look forward to having you come back next year!
Buckeye, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We had this tripped planned for a good while. We went for Hot August Nights, 8/29-8/31/2014. The lobby of the Hotel is nice, front desk service not so friendly. It wasn't crowed when we arrived, we walked straight up to the front desk. However, the female that was working alone there had her head down and did not acknowledge us until she was finished doing whatever it was she was doing. A simple common courtesy of "be with you in a minute" would have made things a bit nicer. To top it off are room was not ready. Once we did get checked in hours later, our room smelled so bad and the carpet was so dirty. On Saturday night around 12 midnight, we returned to our room exhausted from a very fun and exciting day in Sparks and Reno. Our bed was made up nicely but when we pulled the sheets back they were dirty from the night before. I called the front desk and they offered to come up and change them. I told them no, they should have already been changed and that I was going to report this on Trip Advisor. About 45 minutes later, awaken out of our sleep, the hotel phone rang and it was the front desk offering to give us free tickets to breakfast at the hotel. We turned that down. We had already experienced tasteless food the morning there of. However, the waitress that worked that morning was very nice. Also, on Saturday morning I went to the gym to workout on 1 of the 2 treadmills...neither of them worked. Once again I went to the front desk and guess who was there??? Ms not so friendly. I told her that both of the treadmills needed lubing, which is what it said across the screen. She looked at me like I was crazy.

This was my second time giving Holiday Inn a try this year. The other time was in Tucson, AZ. I should have learned my lesson then. Will I stay there again? NO! Would I recommend this hotel to friends and family? NO! Not even strangers.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Colette B
workatholidayinn, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Thank you for your review and providing feedback as it is the only way to improve our services.. We value all feedback to look for ways to make guest experiences better. We will definitely address the customer services issues you encountered and the restaurant issues. The fitness equipment has all been repaired, and we have placed a new piece of equipment into service. We are a "green" hotel and only change sheets for stayovers if the guest requests. We do strive to keep our guest rooms spotless, and we will use the feedback to continue focusing on that.

Travelers are raving about these Sparks hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

we drive to CA from MT with 2 pups several times a year. 13 hrs into the drive, we LAND @ Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks, totally dead, exhausted. Being greeted by Brandi (PM) & Annette (AM), having breakfast under care of Hope in restaurant.....REALLY welcoming, clean, comfortable!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
workatholidayinn, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for sharing about your great experience and the excellent staff here at the Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in the Reno-Sparks area.
Casper, Wyoming
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

The plan was to drive/camp from the midwest to the North coast of CA, but after a LONG, hot day of driving we were ready to have showers, a pool and someone else to cook and clean-up.
The pool was murky, in a scary way, the hotel restaurant was served by the bartender, the food took forever to arrive, the check/receipts could not be printed because the machine was broken.
The room I had was OK, but smelled mildly of cigarettes, either a converted smoking room from back in the day, or someone was smoking outside of the air-intake vent.
The main desk staff were polite, but the bartender was impressive. She covered both the bar and the restaurant solo, with food being served both places. She also had to write out all tabs and receipts by hand because the printer was not working.
By the time the food started to come out from the kitchen we could have set up camp; by the time the last plate was served, we could have had a dinner cooked over a camp stove. It really was THAT slow.
We decided to look for breakfast on the road rather than repeat the dining experience.

Room Tip: Check reviews before booking in Reno
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
workatholidayinn, Manager at Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We apologize for the slow food service in the restaurant. With the Micros system down it must have been a challenge for the kitchen staff as well as the server. I am not sure what happened there.

The pool is cleaned and chemically balanced daily but we have been having extremely stormy and windy afternoons this last couple of weeks so it is possible that the weather has been effecting the clarity. If you had called the Front Desk to notify them that your room did not smell fresh they would have contacted the Housekeeping Manager and offered to move you to another room. Our policy is to deep clean any non-smoking rooms that may get smoked in which includes shampooing carpets and changing out all elements of the guest room.
Napa, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Not a bad hotel for a business traveller. It is convenient to I-80 and restaurants and a short drive into town. The Hotel is older but clean and rooms have a small refrigerator and microwave. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful.
The internet is a bit slow and could use an upgrade, I think, but that was the only problem I encountered.

Stayed July 2014
workatholidayinn, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for staying with us while you are doing business in the Reno - Sparks area. We strive to provide you with excellent customer service and clean, comfortable rooms. We apologize that the internet was not as responsive as you would have liked. We are working on improving that as well and we hope you will come back as stay with us the next time you are in town.
Eatonton, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

On the positive side, the hotel is in a convenient location, easily accessible to attractions, shopping, restaurants, the airport, and downtown. My room was updated, large, clean, and the bed was comfortable. The bathrooms were large with long vanities, and the room included a round table and a desk. A mini refrigerator was included, and I was asked if I needed a microwave. The hotel is older, but has been updated. The fitness center is available 24 hrs a day, parking was sufficient, and there is a restaurant on site. The front desk clerks, the 1st tech I encountered, and the waitress were very pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, I only caught the names of one front desk clerk, Cayley (sp?), and the waitress, Hope. I did accept the offer of a microwave, which was promptly delivered by a very nice tech.
On the negative side, unfortunately, my phone message lights were on and neither the desk clerk nor the tech was able to disconnect it. I told them it was not a big deal since I had my cell phone, so we unplugged it. The next morning, I left for the office and left a note for the housekeeper to have maintenance check out the toilet, which wasn't flushing properly. Upon my return that evening, my door was ajar! I called the front desk before entering my room, and then peeked in to see if someone was there. I requested maintenance to come up to be sure the room/door was secure as the latch and lock we're not working properly. I was very upset that my room/belongings were accessible to anyone, and probably all day!! The desk clerk was understanding and apologetic. When someone knocked on the door, I assumed it was maintenance, but when looking through the peep hole, it looked like one of the many construction worker guests staying in the hotel. The man was not in uniform, his shirt was wet, and he had drinks/snacks in his hand. When I asked who he was, he said maintenance. I was afraid a construction worker had overheard my conversation in the hall since he didn't look like an employee. I asked him where his ID was and why he wasn't in uniform and he said he was new, so I called the front desk, and he took off down the stairwell. Very concerning! The desk clerk asked if he had on a green Polo shirt, and he did not, further concerning me, so I requested a manager or another employee to come up with maintenance. After 45 min and two calls, a Manager, Trevor, came up with the guy that came to the door earlier, this time he was wearing the green shirt. The manager was very nonchalant, never apologized, or addressed my security concerns. He acknowledged that the door had to be closed hard and said it would be taken care of the next day! I felt like he thought I was over reacting and interrupting him! I secured the door from the inside and stayed in the rest of the evening. The next morning, my toilet overflowed as I was on my way out for the day. It was flooding the bathroom, so I immediately called the front desk, but had to leave. When I returned that evening, the lock had been adjusted and the toilet worked better. In addition to all that, the restaurant also had staff issues. The first morning, when I went down for breakfast, there were no employees around. Since there were other guests in the restaurant, I waited. After about 5 minutes a stressed waitress (Hope) came rushing out of the kitchen. She acknowledged my presence, but was very busy and didn't get to ask for my drink order for a while. She was alone, and literally RUNNING from guest to guest, to the kitchen, to the register, etc. The whole while, very pleasant to everyone. When she finally got to me, I asked why she was alone, and she said the other waitress quit that morning. In addition, her computer wasn't working and she couldn't get anyone to help her. I had time and was patient seeing she was doing everything she good to keep everyone happy and she was pleasant. It took an hour to get oatmeal with fruit and toast. I had requested a side of berries for the fruit, and she told me the cook didn't have blueberries, so gave he me extra strawberries. Come to find out, it was a cup of melon, with one large sliced strawberry and 6 blueberries on top hiding the melon! I let the front desk know what Hope was going through, that she needed help and that she should be recognized for her efforts and pleasant attitude through a very stressful situation. The next morning, the situation was the same, and there were more guests! However, she remembered what I drank the previous morning and what room I was in! I ordered a spinach and cheese omelet, and received only a cheese omelet, but didn't have the time, or the heart, to send it back, so I ate it. Again, I was there an hour. I did note that, what looked like a manager, cleared some tables for her. The 3rd morning, her computer was fixed, but she was still alone. She said it was a little less stressful because she came in extra early to get everything setup so she didn't have to worry about that in addition to serving, and that she was concerned about her guests eating and getting to work on time! She was so pleasant and positive! I hope she was paid for the extra time she put in, and she deserves a bonus/raise and some verbal appreciation! She could have walked out, like the other waitress under pressure, but didn't. What would the hotel have done then? Good thing room service isn't provided! There should be cross training to be sure guests/employees do not suffer when the hotel is short staffed. New employees, especially maintenance, should be provided with ID immediately, and there should be extra uniform shirts until the employee is fitted with their own. If not, he should be accompanied by another employee until then. The employees make the hotel and it doesn't matter how nice the hotel if the staff is insufficient (in numbers, training, performance, attitude, etc.) I don't go to Reno often, but I think the next time I will try another hotel.
Oh, I was never offered any compensation for my inconveniences and concerns...and I'm a platinum member since 1990, which I rarely through around.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank DeeDee134
We appreciate your valuable feedback being an IHG member for a long time. Your observations are important not only for training purposes but in order for all the staff to work on improving customer service and the awareness of our guest's perceptions.

The comfort, care and safety of our guests is of primary concern to us and we are continually working on communicating promptness and professionalism with our team in taking care of any issues that arise in the guest rooms or common areas of the hotel. We apologize that your experience didn't reflect that. Our goal is to provide excellent care and we are working on this daily.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparks
Western Village Inn & Casino
Harrah's Reno
Harrah's Reno
#19 of 64 in Reno
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,042 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks? Share your experiences!