“Watch out for dirty beds!”

Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Sparks
Midwest
“Watch out for dirty beds!”
Reviewed September 28, 2007

We checked into this hotel at 11pm ( 1am our home time) after flying for 5 hours and we were completely exhausted. After changing into our pajamas and getting ready for bed we pulled back our bedding to reveal a very disgusting bed. The three pillowcases all had hair on them, and the sheets also had hair on them, and not just head hair! We were mortified! We called the front desk and asked for clean sheets and pillowcases. The front desk attendant told us he couldn't do anything for us because he was the only emoloyee there and couldn't leave the front desk. My husband offered to go down to the front desk to get the clean linens. He returned to our room empty handed. They didn't have any clean pillow cases. How could a hotel not have extra pillow cases??? Anyway, our options were to sleep on the dirty sheets or change rooms. We opted to change rooms. By this time it was midnight and we had to change out of our pajamas and pack up our things to change rooms. We were put right by the ice machine in a room that faced I-80. And did I mention it was bike weekend? All we heard the entire night were Harley motorcyles and noisy traffic from I-80. All I can say it was a less than desirable stay. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if it were free! The only reason we booked a room there in the first place is because it was the only hotel less than $300 on this particular Saturday night close to the Reno airport. Next time I would definitely pay $500 to stay at a clean hotel off the interstate!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HEAVENLYLT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed August 21, 2005

Stayed at the quality inn in NJ, the name spells quality BUT the service is exactly the opposite.
When we arived Sat had to wait to check-in as the check inn person was no where to be found..
The bathroom room was not clean, the drain was blocked by a clump of hair and an empty shampoo container was left in the bath!!!
Sat night a bunch of drunk youngsters with their cars congregated in the parking lot and were extremely noisy. Called reception and they called the police only at midnight to get them quiet!!!, as a result we did not get any sleep....
Even after the police came the drunk students were very noisy and load into Sunday morning no effort was made to get them quiet.
When we checked out another wait of at least 20 minutes, the hotel was badly understaffed to say the least!!!!

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 24, 2005

Place is old and rundown. Checked in late and person at desk stumbled through check-in. Got my credit card statement and was charged 4 times for same night!! Have been leaving messages with the GM "Tanya" about a refund but she won't return my calls. Book at the Silver Legacy or the Eldorado and avoid paying 4 times as much like I did.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2004

My family and I recently spent 9 days at the Hotel with my daughters Volleyball team for the Volleyball Festival that was held in Reno. Our Hotel stay was okay but there are a several things that could have improved our lengthy time there.
But before I go there I want to say that our room and bath were clean and the housekeeping seemed to do a pretty good job keeping it that way. The pillows were comfy and the AC in our room worked very well. Other than that that's really the only praise I can give the Hotel. The things that not necessarily made the stay there bad but a little inconvenient were, both of our room key cards failed once and had to get new ones. The ice machine on our floor was out of order the whole time we were there (9 days), so we had to go to other floors for ice. There was only 3 electrical outlets in the whole room. There was one in the bath, behind the bed and behind the dresser. This made it real interesting when we wanted to plug anything in outside of the bathroom. All the rooms have a sliding glass door that leads to a small balcony BUT the doors are screwed shut so you can't open them. I can understand the liability with something like that especially with an older Hotel but it's too bad that they couldn't have something retrofitted into that space with at least a window you could actually open for fresh air. Not being able to open up the door ( or window ) made the room feel a little claustophobic even though it was a large room. It rained twice while we were there and both of the elevators leaked quite a bit when it did. Lastly, because we were staying for such a long visit we knew there would be some down time during the day, and being that you are usually very limited in what the hotel has to offer regarding TV channels, and being that we do not gamble, we brought our DVD player with movies for those down times. WELL, that proved to be a little bit of a challenge also. But, never underestimate a handy husband with tools. Oh, and the local Wal-Mart.
First the TV didn't have any of those handy audio/video In-plugs on the front OR the back that would have made it oh so simple. Then, the antenna plug was covered with this plasic tube like thing that is supposed to keep you from unplugging the antenna so the TV can't be carried out of the room. We figured this would be futile against someone who really wants to take their TV due to the invention of Knives. Unplug the electrical cord, cut the antenna wire and "voila" you have yourself a TV. The tricky part would be carrying it out without being seen. Anyway, the people who designed that plastic tube thing didn't figure on my husband, he had that thing off in two minutes and $30+ dollars later for some kind of fancy plug, extra antenna wire and a multi-plug electric outlet from WalMart our DVD player was up and running.
Oh, I did forget one thing, the bed like all Hotel beds was a " Rack". Our backs hurt so bad midway through the visit that we headed back to Wal-Mart for an air mattress. We figured it couldn't possibly be as uncomfortable as the bed and anything by that point would be better ( except the hard floor ). Sadly, the $20.00 Coleman air mattress did prove to be more comfortable than the bed which in turn added a little more inconvenience to the stay by having to inflate it every night and deflate it every morning. BUT, the better nights sleep and the fact thet our backs didn't hurt nearly as bad made it worth it. Other than that the only other things that would have improved our stay and made it more convenient would have been to have a Microwave and one of those small refrig's in the room. Having to live out of the ice chest for 9 days was kind of a bummer. Wait a minute, I just remembered two more things. Just the simple act of taking a shower was very irritating. The shower temperature fluctuated terribly. After setting the desired temperature it would have spurts of hot and cold which is quite shocking first thing in the morning. We were also awakened almost every morning by our neighbors' bathroom faucets making these horrible loud rattling noises. Finally, I promise, and probably the most disturbing was the lack of security regarding the back door. The area behind the hotel is quite open and not secured with fencing or anything (except for the pool area) and I hate to say the location of the Hotel is not really what you would say is desireable. It is surrounded by an industrial area with the freeway directly in front. Anyway, the back door has a sign on it for anyone entering the Hotel after 11pm to use the front door but as far as I know the back door was left unlocked when it should have been locked by 11pm. I'm not sure they ever locked the back door. My husband and I came back to the Hotel after 11pm several times and came in through the back door. That whole back door thing is a real security issue that I really hope the Hotel tries to resolve. This hotel is definately NOT home away from home but if your only staying for 1 or 2 days, 3 days max. this Hotel is fine. Just don't expect much and you won't be sorry.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fremont, CA
Reviewed May 31, 2004

STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

We took a 12U Girls Basketball team to Reno to play in the AAU Pacific Association Championships. This hotel was listed as a sponsoring hotel so we booked 31 rooms. When we visited the website, it indicated an on-site Restaurant, outdoor whirlpool/hottub and seasonal pool.

When we arrived, guess what we found - Restaurant, hottub and pool CLOSED! Can you imagine how disappointed the girls were. Apparently the pool is seasonal (Memorial Day to Labor Day we were told). I guess when the management knew we were bringing a team, they didn't figure they would want to swim....you must be joking, of course the kids would want to swim. Fortunately there was a Denny's and IHOP close by because the management also did not think we needed to know that their 'on premis' restaurant was closed.

One of our non-smoking rooms smelled of smoke so bad, there was no way we could have our girls stay there. Atleast Tony was kind enough to give us another room. However, because this hotel is 'pet friendly' that means that we had two rooms on our floor that had dogs that seemed to bark when we walked by and early in the morning. What a drag! This caused two of our girls allergies to flare up with pet dander in the halls from walking the dogs! I guess if you stay here, you never really know if pets have stayed in your room.

Tony, on the evening shift was very patient and helpful. The day staff was incredibly rude and would not work with us at all.

All in all, pay a little more to get a nicer place AND don't always believe what the website advertises.

12 Thank S G
Reviewed July 19, 2003

***The next time you consider staying at the Quality Inn, Sparks, Nevada, you may want to seriously consider another hotel. ***During a recent stay there, I experienced lax security, repeatedly malfunctioning room keys, unreliable airport shuttle service and a hotel management that was decidedly amateur. In a phrase: never again. Here are the details:***LAX SECURITY: Not only was the lock on the hotel's back door was broken the night I stayed there. When I walked in at 3 a.m., someone had propped open the hotel's back door with a garbage can. Essentially, anyone or anything that happened to wander off nearby Interstate 80 at that time of night had easy access to the hotel.***PLASTIC ROOM KEYS THAT DON'T WORK: The plastic key for my room failed four times during my stay ~~ twice when I was attempting to get into my room, and twice when I was attempting to access the pool area. Each time, I had to be issued a new plastic room key ~~ a colossal waste of time.***DREARY POOL AREA: I managed to find a decent lounge chair among the mismatched selection surrounding the pool. Other guests had to settle for chairs with straps missing. Another disappointment: the pool area is surrounded by a number of trucks for Allied, Inc. and other companies. While pool-side, I heard many of these big rigs farting to life before heading out for their daily runs.***UNINSPIRING VISTAS: The hotel is surrounded on three sides by factory-like rooftops as far as the eye can see. Out front isn't much better: Interstate 80, with cars and trucks zooming by 24/7.***UNRELIABLE SHUTTLE SERVICE: While the hotel advertises free airport shuttle service, their tune changes once you actually land. Turns out, they'll send a shuttle out for you ~~ they just won't tell you how long it will take get there. When I pressed the hotel clerk on this issue, asking if it would take 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour or more, his response was "I can't tell you."***AMATEUR MANAGEMENT: My complaints to the hotel management about my repeatedly failing room key and the unreliable shuttle service fell on deaf ears. In the end, all I received was a "we could care less" attitude.***NO HELP FROM THE QUALITY INN 800 NUMBER: Often, a substandard franchise hotel can be brought into line with a call to the franchise's national customer relations number. Not so with Quality Inn. The franchise's policy regarding complaints: we'll send the hotel a letter by U.S. Mail about your complaint, and get back to you. Translation: forget about getting a problem addressed while you're actually staying at a Quality Inn hotel.

27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparks
Western Village Inn & Casino
Harrah's Reno
Harrah's Reno
#18 of 64 in Reno
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,322 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks? Share your experiences!