“Tired, Old rooms”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Jose, California
“Tired, Old rooms”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Pros
Pricing
Nice bed and bedding, duvets pillows etc
Towels nice
Good water pressure and shower head
Quiet (on 20th floor)
Friendly and efficient staff
Nice, comfy chairs to sit in
Good sconce lighting by bed
Valet parking at no charge
Fast elevators
No resort fee added to stay

Cons
No matter how much sanitizer you use it can't mask the old cigarette smells
Large stains on carpet, probably from spilled drink
Furniture has a lot of dings and scratches
Not enough outlets to plug in electronics, bring long power cord to set yours up
Urine/cigarette drips on bath ceiling where steam has caused the airborne particles to congregate
TV bolted to table.
Lots of add ons such as internet at $11/day

Make sure to look at pricing from various sources. You can get some incredibly low rates. ($32-$45/ night). We paid $75 for one night. Still an inexpensive rate. I have very mixed feelings whether I would stay here again. Most likely I would opt for another hotel to get out of the cigarette laden furnishings.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ALifesJourney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,151)
Sun Valley, ID
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We only stayed one night on our drive to California and for one night it was okay. The hotel is tired and verging on the shabby and not a place to spend a vacation. The dinner buffet was very good and they do have up to date slot machines. The room was adequate, but check in took a long time. The rate was cheap and you get what you pay for. So saying, I would possibly stay there again when passing through as it was close to the freeway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SVTraveller
Tenmile, Oregon
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed at the Reno Harrah's in September 2013. I was really surprised at how nice the rooms are. They are not only comfortable, but beautifully upgraded. Our room was in the 2nd tower and we overlooked the "Reno" arch sign. It was quiet and easy access. We ate at one
of the cafes and the buffet and were very pleased. The only complaint I had was the slots were
not generous, but that's why they call it "gambling".

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed midweek at a very affordable rate. My room was clean and in good condition, with most of the features I would want. I learned several things that other travelers might want to know.

I picked this hotel because it does NOT charge a "resort fee". I think resort fees are fraud, pure and simple, particularly since if you aren't aware of them beforehand, they will be a rude surprise on your bill. Harrah's makes up for the resort fee with other charges.

The Wi-Fi in the room is $11/day = outrageous ! I'm told it is free in the Starbucks on the 2nd floor though. The bottled water in the room is clearly labeled as being $3 each. I think you could get free water from a cocktail waitress in the casino though. I bought water and liquor at a liquor store across the street for a much lower price.

If you live withing 100 miles of Reno, be sure and get a players card with the "Reno Local" sticker on it. Also book the room through the rewards program. The buffet "Carvings" is outstanding, and a great value for "Locals". The dinner price was $16 but $8 for locals. Savings with this card are 25% at other Harrahs' owned restaurants.

Overall I had a nice stay and would definitely recommend. I did have one upsetting incident though. Twice, the elevator refused to let me out on my floor, and a third time it refused to pick me up. I reported this each time, and I was very unhappy that it wasn't taken car of after the first report. Someone else might have panicked. I made a big deal about this on check out, and I just noticed that my check out charge disappeared from my CC bill. Maybe its their way of apologizing.

Room Tip: The West tower is less expensive.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BiffCanlett
mississippi
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had a wonderful Reno / Tahoe / Virginia City trip planned. A family member became ill during our stay. The staff were very helpful and sensitive to our needs!! We ended up staying in the hotel rooms for most of the trip, except for the time spent at the hospital ER. The hotel was in average condition. Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. It was comped, so we have no complaints. Casino was satisfactory. Would return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This hotel is right in the down-town area of Reno. It has seen better days but still is ok to stay for a few nights. The west tower is the better of the two towers facing the famous Reno "sign" and try to get has high of a room as possible to avoid street noise.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor and to the south to avoid train noise
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gary K
hk
Reviewed November 15, 2013

If you book ahead, the price is quite good around US$54 per nite. However, everything in the room cost $$$. Even bottled water (no complementary water) , and coffee with coffee machine the the room, wifi cost around US$10 per day. Got smoking room and non smoking room. The room I got is 2 double (not Queen) bedroom. It may fit 2 skinny people, therefore, the room may fit for 4 person.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on higher floor. Got better view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends