“Harrah's was fine”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oregon
“Harrah's was fine”
Reviewed June 10, 2008

We stayed at Harrah's for a week in March while my husband was in Reno on business. We got a great rate on the internet; otherwise, I probably wouldn't have been that thrilled. Their rack rate is a little high.

The hotel was fine, room was fine. Not super big, but good enough. The bed was comfortable, there was a small seating area, and the bathroom was great. The furnishings were nice and updated. There was a small coffeemaker in the room; we asked for a fridge and they brought a small one up.

We ate at their famous buffet and it was very good, as far as buffets go. I found the staff, from the housekeeper to the waitresses, to all be very friendly and helpful.

One big drawback is that they charge extra for EVERYTHING. I think it is ridiculous in this day and age to charge for internet; they also charge to use the gym. This should ALL be included in my room rate, or at least in the money I lost at their machines :) And we lost consistently.

• Liked — NIce room furnishings
  • Disliked — Everything costs extra!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank DPitZ
HarrahsReno, Customer Service at Harrah's Reno, responded to this review, February 22, 2016
Thanks for your comments about us here at Harrah's Reno. I am glad that you enjoyed our Carvings Buffet along with the Housekeepers and waitresses.

Caesars implemented a Resort Fee that covers the use of the gym, wifi and internet.

We look forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,063)
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Good Harrah's property with comfy rooms. As previous reviewers have noted, the rooms are on the small side. My biggest complaint is the layout of the bathroom -- toiler is crammed in a corner behind the door and a few inches from the sink...makes for some awkward maneuvering.

Food and service at Napa Cafe was very good. Drink service in the casino also good. Casino didn't have many "newer" slots.

We stayed here on a mid-week comp, but noticed a weekend rate pushing $300, which I think is way overpriced and I would not have paid.

Overall a good experience that exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DCA
I am glad that we exceeded your expectations here at Harrah's Reno.

New Mexico
Reviewed May 26, 2008

I stayed at the hotel for business, despite it not really being a business hotel. No free wireless but lots of bleed from other hotels who did have free wireless so if your computer is strong enough you can still get online. Was checked into a smoking room despite the non smoking reservation. Didnt think it would be such a big deal but after a bad nights rest of inhaling all the smoke fumes from the linen and pillows, I switched the next morning and it was handled quickly by the staff. Room was clean and quiet. Nice bufffet on site.

Overall the hotel wasnt as good as the Silver Legacy which is close by. In fact the best thing about the hotel was the location to the river, coffee shops and other casinos.

• Liked — its proximity to other casino/hotels
  • Disliked — no free wireless
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Bliss_Blister
Thanks for your comments about us here at Harrah's Reno.

We appreciate your feedback.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Harrah's Reno is (in my opinion) on par with Harrahs Las Vegas. About a 3 and half-star, I'd say. While it doesn't blow your socks off, it's a pefectly pleasant place to stay. Every employee with whom we had any contact at all was welcoming, personable, and helpful.

We were in the West Tower. Our room decor was definitely retro, and the condition of the upholstery and bedding made me think it had just been updated. There is a unique (I hope) furry lamp hanging in the window. Someone has posted some photos with their review, so I won't post mine. But it does fit well with the decor.

The most noticeable thing about the room itself was the size. I believe this was the smallest room we've ever stayed in at any hotel anywhere, ever. There was literally 18 inches from the foot of the kingsize bed to the desk at the end of the bed (we measured,) and with the chair pulled out to sit at the desk, one would have to crawl across the bed to get to the other side. Very, very small, narrow room. If you plan to request a rollaway or a crib, be sure to first ask if the room can accomodate one. Room #1004, will not.

But the room was quiet, and the bed was soooo comfortable! For all of the street noise we could hear earlier in the evening, I don't recall hearing any noises during the night. And if you absolutely must have a dark room at night, you'll love the window treatments...not a sliver of light comes through.

The room and bathroom were clean and neat. Iron and ironing board, and blowdryer were provided. There were enough towels and washcloths; plenty of hot water. Amenities (only shampoo, soap, and lotion) were Gilbert & Soames. There was also a one-cup coffee maker and styrofoam cups. Later, while we were downstairs playing, we asked the cocktail waitress for coffee, then took the cups to our room to use the next morning.

The closet is plenty big enough for clothes and luggage, and a good supply of hangers.

Our one big complaint about Harrahs, is that there is NO room safe, which can be a big inconvenience if you travel with any valuables. This is the reason we don't stay at Harrahs Las Vegas anymore--no room safe.

We didn't try the buffet, but the Napa Cafe is very good. We were there at 11pm one night, and it was showing no signs of closing, so I think it's open 24 hours. Portions are generous, so we split a classic burger with fries a couple of times. We also enjoyed the sliders and fried onion scoops. Service was quick, and the food was good.

The cocktail waitresses working on the casino floor made regular trips through the casino, so we always had something to drink.

This was our first trip to Reno, and to us, the main contrast with Las Vegas is the attitude. Reno was, "Hi, welcome to Reno, glad to have you here, are you enjoying your trip, what can I do for you..."

All-in-all, we loved Reno, enjoyed staying at Harrah's Reno and would absolutely stay there again.

• Liked — quiet, clean room; personable staff
  • Disliked — no room safe; small room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank KatKnapTrvl
Thanks for your very nice comments about us here at Harrah's Reno and the fact that you loved the Reno area.

We look forward to your return visit.

Travelers are raving about these Reno hotels

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2008

We have just got back from a 3 night stay at Harrah's Reno from April 13th - 16th and I must say, it is the friendliest place I have ever stayed at. From the people at check-in to the servers in the casino and the housekeeping staff, everyone was amazing! I can't say enough about all of them!
Our room was lovely as well, it was in the west wing on the 6th floor and had been renovated. The bed wasn't too bad for comfort however, we still have a motionless water bed so have a hard time getting used to anything else anywhere anyway.
The breakfast buffet at the hotel's restaurant, Carvings, was amazing and the price reasonable for the selection. They even offer steak which was so tender and full of flavour. It was everything you could ever want.
We didn't find too much happening in downtown Reno however, we enjoyed the casino at Harrah's even though some of the machines were "tight" but my husband enjoyed himself at the $5.00 blackjack tables .
We would definitely go back again should we ever be that way again. The only reason we did go there was because we were on our way to Hawaii and thought a couple of days somewhere on the way would be better than a long flight and time changes.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Cold air conditioning in the casino
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dazey337
Thanks for your very nice comments about us here at Harrah's Reno and for recommending our hotel/casino.

Ft. Myers, FL
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I got a reservation about one week I've arrived. Since I'm a Harrah's member, I got a room for $30/night. The room was very nice in the East Tower, about 1/10 mile for the Reno sign. If you are an adult, most times you will be seating downstairs. For breakfast, go to Cafe Napa. For 11 pm to 7 am, they have 2 breakfast specials for a nice price.

My only gripe is outlets in the room. There are 1-2 plugs to juice up. However, I had 4-5 plugs. But, it was a minor gripe.

I will be back.

• Liked — Gambling 24/7
  • Disliked — The outlets
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Thanks for your nice comments about us here at Harrah's Reno.

Shoreline CT
Reviewed April 14, 2008

This was my first trip to Reno, and booked Harrah's midweek for 40 bucks per night. The rooms were large, and clean. Room service food was better than average. The hotel staff are all very well trained and polite, they go out of thier way to make sure you get what you want! I needed hair conditioner, and they supply an all in one shampoo/conditioner, I left a tip for housekeeping and wrote a note asking for regular conditioner. That evening when I returned from working, the staff phoned to see if my request was met. I checked the bathroom and said, no, but that was OK, if they did not have any. Within 10 minutes they sent several bottles of conditioner to my room, I was impressed! This is a great hotel for the money, clean, good food, nice folks!

• Liked — Great Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank daisy20071960
I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay here at Harrah's Reno.