“Hotel or Small Town?”

Best Western Plus Boomtown Casino Hotel
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed at the Boomtown Hotel & Casino for 3 nights while attending a function. My room was in the North Tower and was quite spacious for the price. Room was clean and well-attended to each day. Found everything I needed inside the hotel. Restaurant had a fairly good menu and Peet's Coffee was there when I needed a jolt of caffiene.
My only issue was with the front desk staff; they didn't seem to know what was going on. I had a box sent to the hotel front desk so I would have it upon my arrival but when I got there no one had any knowledge of a box. Luckily they got the person in charge of the receiving dept and it was locked away there. I was also having a problem getting WiFi to work with my iPhone and was told by the front desk that their WiFi did not work with any Apple products(??). Anyway, found out the next day that was not true and it just took longer to connect, but once in all was OK.

Room Tip: I think the North Tower rooms are a bit larger with a price differential of about $20-30/night. Wel...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mentor189
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Boomtown Casino Hotel

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Weeknight price was very affordable - last minute, unplanned stay. It is a VERY long walk from entrance to the front desk if you have luggage, however.....they have staff at valet that will help. We did not arrive until just before 10pm and even though a casino environment - were starving and with no place to eat except Peet's Coffee and choice of packaged sandwiches (not super appealing).
Breakfast the next morning was wonderful though. Staff very nice although checkout took a while due to only one person addressing all needs (questions, checkout, anything).
Room was great and looked new.....big television!

Room Tip: Just be prepared to walk - no matter what room or tower.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here. Upon walking in the room we were impressed nice size room. Casino areas were really spread out and small. Im no Vegas person but thought it would have better options. So we stayed the night and in morning i shower and look down and the water is passed my ankles. Drain didn't drain. Upon checking out we were told all the south tower does not drain and tvs do not work. We get what we pay for is what we were told. Won't stay here again. Recommend it

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank coral74
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Most hotels around the world have amenities and don't charge a fee for them. Boomtown, by contrast, charges a resort fee for amenities that don't exist. For example, there were no pleasant outdoor spaces with picnic tables or chairs, no operating swimming pool (it was out of service when I arrived), and no inviting indoor public spaces—just a casino floor, a few food outlets, and a large indoor children's play area.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I might as well just describe the experience.

I reserved two nights through AAA, for a room with a "mountain view," although the hills in Verdi, Nev., are pretty barren and won't qualify as mountains in most people's eyes. When I showed up, the registration desk had me booked for one night. The clerk said the hotel processes AAA reservations, so the fault lay with hotel staff. He was able to book me for the second night (for which I'd prepaid).

The registration clerk took my VISA card number although I'd prepaid and had me sign a form in which I promised not to try to steal the television. That was a signal of things to come.

I got to the third-story mountain view room, which had a view only of HVAC equipment on the casino roof.

Getting to one's room is a challenge. The warning not to steal the TV was a reflection of what seems to be a prison-management approach to the casino. There are only two or three entrances, requiring circuitous walking from your car to the entrance to your room. Given this, you would think the hotel would provide luggage carts, but I didn't see any. I think I walked about 0.2 miles back and forth (each way) to my car multiple times to bring in my luggage.

I suspect that this arrangement is designed to enhance surveillance and minimize people's ability to steal things from their rooms unobserved. The effect is that you feel like you're walking through a large and not particularly pleasant airport as you go from your car to your room.

You can't use the stairs; they're alarm-equipped with stern warnings. So you have to wait for slow, overcrowded elevators.

The room was clean and quiet and the bed was comfortable. Providing a docking station for one's iPod was a nice touch.

In the bathroom, however, there were no towel racks! Maybe people are ripping the towel racks from the walls? This was one of the recently refurbished standard rooms, and not one of the economy rooms (which I'm glad I never saw).

The overall feeling of Boomtown is that you're in a warehouse store-like space devoted to gambling, with hotel guests whom the hotel management seems not to trust. It is a very odd place indeed.

So why stay there? Aside from gambling, if you book midweek, you can get a good room for about $70 and drive 30 minutes to Truckee, where you might pay $200 for an equivalent room. But I'd be reluctant to go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Mtnbiker2
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stopped by this casino when traveling over I-80 on Sept 22, 2012. I had intended to have dinner and maybe stay the night as well as gamble. The first employee I asked for directions from was rude and unhelpful. I wrote that off as someone having a bad day. The next one I encountered and asked a question to was equally rude and unhelpful. I decided at that point not to try to spend the night but just get dinner and gamble a bit. I went to stand in line to access the Lobster buffet, which smelled great. Unfortunately while waiting in line I heard nothing but negative comments from the dinners exiting as they passed by. I asked a couple coming out and they highly advised I not waste my money on the buffet so I didn't. I went to play a few slots instead.

What I noticed as I walked the casino floor looking for a machine to play is that the atmosphere was poor, didn't seem like anyone was winning or having much of a good time. The other thing I noticed was that the place was dirty. The first machine I sat down at I had the unpleasant discovery that something had been spilled on the seat and the machine. Yuk. I found two other machines I would have liked to try but they were malfunctioning. The next machine I moved to had heaping piles of cigarette butts and trash around it but it worked. It certainly wasn't my lucky night, $20 in and not a single pay out of any sort. I decided to use the restroom before getting back on the highway. It was filthy enough I decided to drive to the rest area at Donner Summit instead. A disappointing stop and I won't be stopping here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Coast2CoastSolo
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here two nights. Pretty quiet, partly renovated, and less expensive than downtown Reno. New ownership shuffling slot machines, lots of barren space on casino floor. Unfortunatly, swimming pool is outside & a good 1/4 mile hike away from hotel. There is no shuttle service to town & only to airport if scheduled in advance. Probably would‘nt stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank FrozenAlaska
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I booked this room for my honeymoon, when we arrived I discovered that I had no choice as to smoking or nonsmoking. I was stuck in a smoking room with air conditioning that did not work. When I complained a employee came to my room with a machine that cleans the air, told me to turn it on for several hours, as it was 1100 Pm, we tried for awhile, but the results were not felt or smelled. The worse problem was the AC, which did not work, after several calls went unheralded by the desk we finally decided to call it quits, poor service, smelly room, AC that doesn't work. Think this would allow us to get some refund....Nope..all sorts of excuses, seems room quality is not something that you can get your deposit back, we stayed one night but couldn't stomach another night, they wouldn't let me check out, suspicious, to me this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Everyone I talk to will hear my review of this poor excuse of a hotel. I warn all others to stay away from this place

Stayed: September 2012