“Terrible Is An Understatement” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sands Regency Casino Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Reno
A TripAdvisor Member
“Terrible Is An Understatement”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

Worse hotel experience of my life. Rude, poorly trained staff. Advertised "newly renovated" but I never saw it. The carpets are dirty and stained, wall paper starting to peel from the walls. Waited several hours for a non-smoking room to become available and then was put in a smoking room. 24-hours without water!!!!! Continued to check guests into rooms without water and did not notify the guests. Surprise! My friends used the public restroom in the lobby and my shower. The Sands refused to compensate the guests for the water issue and would not move anyone to another room.
A friend won two "comp rooms" with her players card and offered one to me. The hotel refused to accept it as my room was "pre-paid." I asked for a credit to my credit card. The front desk supervisor refused and kept the coupon. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
San Francisco Bay Area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

When we stayed at The Sands a year ago, we were satisfied with the bargain price and quality of the hotel. However, we returned to The Sands last November and were very disappointed. The rates were still low, however, the quality of our room was terrible. The room was dark, looked old and dirty, and the toilet was old and stained. We usually aren't too picky with the rooms in Reno since we spend a lot of time in the casinos, but we couldn't look past the dingy, dirty appearance during our last stay. We'll definietely pay higher rates at a different hotel for better quality next time.

• Stayed November 2005
10 Thank tikaye406

Travelers are raving about these Reno hotels

Waco Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2006

The first thing that should be done is to fire the dining room staff at the eatery in the hotel called Antone's. It is avertised as Italian restaurant but it is not. Is now called a Steak Buffet but by no strech does it even come close to a good dining experience. It is like an after though from someone who was unable to make up there mind about what to do with area. The hostess is rude, the service or lack of it makes for a very umpleasant experience. The Steak is like shoe leather, thin as pancake and the price is way to much for the cost. Try and ask for a cup of coffee afterwards, we did and after the fifth request we were able to manage a 1/2 cup uot of one of the waiters, not even our waitress fulfilled our request.

We tried complaining about the restaurant at the front desk of the hotel and all we got was some giggles from the staff and was told that she agreed as she are there once too and did not like it.

The hotel was clean and well kept up but the next time I spend my money in Reno it will not be at that hotel, for the same price there are a lot of others there that are far a far better value and cost nearly the same. I say again the staff should be looking for other jobs.

The only high point was Mel's dinner. Some of the staff there was lacking but overall they are the only ones that should keep there jobs

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank Williamzb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

If you're looking for a full-service hotel at a good price, this is it. It's clean, comfortable, and in a great location. I didn't spend much time there, as there are nicer places to gamble and better food options at Silver Legacy and El Dorado, but Sands will be my first choice whenever I stay in Reno.

I found the bell/concierge service to be a bit lacking, but the housekeeping staff does a nice job and I had no problem with the front desk. The place is delightfully tacky.

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2006

Just returned from a weeklong trip to Reno and a stay at the Sands. The hotel was very comfortable and just the right size for me. The staff were all helpful and friendly and the room was great. I really enjoyed playing the slots and found the machines easy to get time on. There was a good variety. Only ate at Mel's Diner, and the food was very good for standard restaurant fare. Really really really enjoyed the Bingo, particularly the 9 am nostalgia games using the old fashioned chips and cards. I'm already planning my next trip to Reno and will most certainly stay at the Sands again.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Cape
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2006

We were there for a snowboarding trip. Location was great, rooms were wonderful and most of all, the price was great. We would stay again.

• Stayed March 2006
10 Thank dhodge30
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2006

Got our room booked for Sunday through Thursday night for 26.67 a night online. Requested a room overlooking downtown(had read a review that advised it) and the room was great, huge, big window on the 8th floor. Great service. We fiddled around the hotel had the specials, then walked down to other places to check them out. I like the close proximity to downtown but not Right in the middle of traffic. The health club on the 17th floor has beatiful view. Two walls are glass looking out on the mountains. Would go there again, good value for your money.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member