“Good room for the price”

The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Ranked #31 of 64 Hotels in Reno
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good room for the price”
Reviewed August 8, 2005

Recently returned from a 7 night stay at the Sands. Our trip occurred during Reno's Hot August Nights, although we werent exhibitors. The hotel is being renovated and does show its age, however the staff was friendly, maid service was prompt and courteous. We stayed in the Regency tower and our only gripe was the 3/4 inch space under the entry door. It allowed hallway noise to echo into your room at all hours of the night. It was a complaint, but for the price (35-120) per nite and considering it is a CASINO hotel and a major party weekend it wouldnt discourage us from staying there again.
It is very convenient to all the downtown casinos, and easy traveling distance to Peppermill and Atlantis.
About 5 minutes from the airport if not Rush Hour or construction.
In closing,,if you are looking for a plush resort..go somewhere else. But if you want a place to stay..invest some money in slot machines, and have easy access to the beautiful Lake Tahoe region, then give the Sands a try.
PS the Tony Romas inside the casino is not quite the quality of the stand alone ones but not bad for the convenience.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed July 16, 2005

We stayed at the Sands because of the reviews posted here. It was in a great location right near the other big hotels/casinos. It was clean and we had a decent size room with 2 queen beds. The best part was that it was only $36! We were there on a Monday, so I'm not sure what the rates are on the weekends. They had they're own casino, which we spent time at in the mornings because the tables had low minimums. That was a plus for us. They also had some good restaurants right at the hotel. Overall it was a nice hotel, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank sandcastles99
Gilroy, CA
Reviewed July 5, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Sands for the first time on 4th of July weekend. At first I was kindof leary because of some of the reviews I read. But we decided to try it because of the price and the location. The Sands is a great hotel. It is as good as the other hotels in downtown Reno. The rooms are HUGE! The only thing we didn't like about the hotel was the mattresses were a little firm and uncomfortable. Mel's Diner and Tony Roma's which is on site are great restaurants. It only took us about 5 - 10 minutes to walk to the other casinos downtown. We suggest for the price, to go to the Sands.

6 Thank redmustconv04
vancouver, wa
Reviewed June 15, 2005

Everything about this place, from the staff to the food to the great price, surprised us in a good way. Even though it's a couple of blocks off the main road, there's no better place to stay. Rooms are good sized and clean and even though the slot machines killed us, we had a good time.

6 Thank DeepFriedTwinkies
seattle
Reviewed April 20, 2005

It could be a nice place. While the grounds & common areas were messy and slovenly, the room itself was large, clean and decently appointed. The staff was civil.

But I had a "non-smoking" room and yet obviously people had smoked there. A lot. The place stank. In fact the entire hotel smelled of cigarettes. (Of course you could say "What do you expect in a casino hotel?" Fair enough so merely consider this a warning.) What was worse was that the windows don't open so I couldn't get any fresh air. Horrible stay.

• Stayed January 2005
9 Thank davidinseattle

Travelers are raving about these Reno hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2005

I visited Reno for the first time and decided to stay at the Sands Regency, due to service by bus. I liked the fact that they treated the bus passengers right by giving them EZ Money cards to use at the slot machines. I stayed in the Regency Tower on the 5th floor. Not a bad room for $35 a night. I was expecting the room to be a bit cramped, but I was wrong. The room I got was nice and big and the bathroom was very clean. The casino was my favorite place to be in. Although their table games selection was limited (I'd love to see them include Spanish 21), they did offer low limit tables and $2 craps. Mel's Diner had a delicious prime rib dinner and they have other restaurants inside, including an Italian buffet, which I didn't have the opportunity to try :(. All in all, a great hotel and I definitely plan on going back the next time I'm in Reno.

• Stayed April 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Jose, CA
Reviewed March 16, 2005

Let's face it, this is not a luxury hotel. But the rooms are clean, large, and cheap. I've made Reno my base for skiing this winter, and the Sands is my hotel. I've paid from $9 (yes, I'm not joking) to $19 for a room per night, and never more. I don't gamble, and eat elsewhere, as the restaurants are not that good. My skiing buddy from Romania (not quite a 3rd world country, but almost) commented that this was the best combination of price/accommodations he's ever seen, including Romania!

• Stayed January 2005