“1st time to Reno”

Ranked #28 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Littleton, Colorado, United States
“1st time to Reno”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my first time to Reno. Business trip. I need to start by saying that I don't Drink, don't party and Don't smoke. So the casino life is not an allure for me. Ha Ha, sounds boring. I will not stay at another casino hotel when traveling on business or personal vacation if I can avoid it. I prefer not to have to walk through a smoky casino to get to my room, it is kind of hard to hold your breath that long and no matter how fast you walk through your hair and cloths will inevitably smell like an ash tray.

The room was ok, but minimal. The bed was hard. When I went into the bathroom to take a shower the glued in nonslip mat was unglued from the tub leaving the glue remaining and mold growing in the glue. I told house cleaning and they did send up maintenance right away. They scraped all the old glue off and put in a new non slip mat.

You have to pay $10.00 a day for Wi-Fi. Casinos like to discourage you from staying in your room so they also had a minimum of channel selections available on the Television.

Yea, it is just an older hotel/ casino. Old TV, old decor, etc. Attached to Mel's Diner so you can walk down stairs and eat or they do room delivery.

Room Tip: Get a non Smoking room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Shawn A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are much nicer than I anticipated. Clean & modern look to them. I was impressed with the soft pillows & comfy sheets.

The service was kind of crappy though. Tried to get Mel's room service, but they could cook anything because of a "monthly cleaning". I've never heard of that before & it seems odd to close down the entire restaurant. But besides that it isn't too bad

• Stayed February 2013
Kingsburg, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in early February 2013. The hotel is old, so you have to know that going in and take it into consideration. My room was clean and well prepared; just old! The TV reminded me of one we had in the 1980's. It was old it was a lousy picture - but I didn't go there to watch TV, so no biggie I guess. By far the worst thing was all the smoke! Being from California, I am not used to that because it is, thankfully, illegal to smoke inside a public building in CA. Well, not only is it legal in Nevada, but it seems that everybody smokes! I swear there were 100 or more people smoking in the lobby, casino, etc. I found it overwhelming and disgusting. I was gagging and coughing. I could not sit down to play cards in the casino without smoke being literally right in my face. Just awful.

The only place I ate was Mel's Diner. It was just okay. Not terrible, not especially good. I had french toast, eggs and bacon for breakfast. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 5 or 6 at best. For dinner I had a bowl of chicken noodle soup and a turkey sandwich. I'd give that a 4 or 5.
So I can't really recommend the place, but it certainly is convenient and they do offer a little bit of everything. So, if smoke bothers you, stay away from this place or you'll be sorry. If you don't mind it, and you like $1.49 for a bottle of beer, you're in the right place! I gave the Sands 3 out of 5; the smoke almost makes me want to take it down to 2, but you're gonna find smokers anywhere in Reno I suppose. Also, a number of people got stuck in elevators while I was there so you might want to consider using the stairs!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank BeanoC
Fallon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Hotel needs major major renovations. All areas.

Room blankets tearing, furniture old and chipped etc.
Sheets are wrong size for bed (too small)
The hard surface floors on the casino - they pour on some liquid to fix it, and maybe it does but looks horrible. Patch jobs everywhere!

We were even told not to park in their parking garage because they DID NOT have security cameras, and our car would be safer on the street!

This is the first time (for us) that Hotwire has missed the star ratings! And we use Hotwire alot.!
The star rating at best is a 2 star.

But for us the real problem is their clientele -- if you like lots of tatoos, piercings and biker types etc then this is the place for you! (now don't tell me about bikers, I owner a motorcycle shop shop for over 25 years - so I am not talking about the normal or usual biker but the scruddy ones, you figure it out).

The rooms are large and the beds were good.

Trip Advisor has also got the star rating wrong!

Room Tip: It seems the star rating is too high for resort gambling towns! Use Kayak for these towns.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 1ScubaDiver

Travelers are raving about these Reno hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

i recently ate at mels dinner, i had the cheese burger and fries . i got food poisioning. i was very sick. when i told someone at the hotel . i was told i had the flu, and was totally ignored. this is know way to bring back people. o wasnt trying to get anything, just warning them. to check out there food. i will not be back. i was there for the cribbage turnament. barbara downey

Room Tip: away from the trains
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Barbara D
Redding, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Sands had cleaner room during this stay :-). They have raised the prices on the seniors menu. An ice cream was $.50 on our last stay and was $.99 this stay. Depending on who serves you and when; the cone can be large or small. They had some free party favors of cupcakes and a special bar drink and plastic cup (these folks were quite friendly). The bartender at the bar - back by the front hotel desk - was in a bad mood and treated us very badly (3:20pm). I told him I no longer wanted a drink from him, as I did not understand his rude behavior. The woman bartender in the front area by the gambling tables was sweet and polite. We were kept awake both nights by a yelling couple in room 1189. We had 1191. When we called the Front Desk (2:30 am) and complained that a woman was screaming: "call 911"; no action was taken- (the woman clerk said she would contact "Security") ..?? I finally pounded on the door and they finally stopped. The hotel recently changed ownership. I believe the management is trying to do a good job with very limited resources and a few employees are 'jaded'; not realizing they may 'kill' their own jobs. I would go back (I am deaf); however, my wife says: "never again!" the "2for1" food coupons only covered select restaurants and those restaurants were not open on some days.This hotel caters to very budget minded folks; such as myself, however, a number of us seem to lack 'social graces'; thinking only of the immediate.I will return only with my men friends.

Room Tip: We thought higher room may be quieter; but not so this time?
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lippylemurian
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was at the Sands as I go up there once a month. Decided to give the Copa the final last try after 2 dinners already. Ordered Soup, got my soup, being raised in North Beach San Francisco, I asked for cheese for my soup, I was appalled, Was told CHEESE IS EXTRA $. Are you f______ kidding me. If you had a restaurant in North Beach, they would have shut you down. Cheese is on every table in abundance. As I was eating my soup.......here comes my entree....Hello...I haven't eaten my soup yet. Ordered pasta, the waitress asked if I wanted cheese....I of course asked is it extra $??? She was affended. I WILL NEVER EAT AT THE COPA AGAIN. Management please pay attention.... Maybe we should have Chef RAMSEY come up there and help you out!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple