“Economical & well-located, close to UNR”

The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Ranked #34 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Campo Grande, MS
“Economical & well-located, close to UNR”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Well located for access to UNR and events/businesses in downtown Reno.
Large, nice, clean rooms, & quieter than I expected at a casino hotel. Nice staff.
Rooms could use a microwave, frig. & free internet access for business travelers that use the web frequently.
An option for stronger, higher-quality coffee would be nice at hotel restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Don E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We really enjoyed our room here. For under $30, the bed and linens were nice, and the decor, although obviously old, was in good shape. It was clean and comfortable and the amenities were adequate. I prefer this to spending a bunch of money for a room in Reno. The bartenders here are a hoot. Centrally located, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Hope the Sands doesn't change. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2012
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great place. The floor they put the pets on looked a little dated. The only thing that I remember about the room was there was a small, who cares, wear spot right as you come in the door. It looked like maybe somebodies dog didn't like being left alone and scratched the carpet.

The room was clean without smells or other problems. The casino is nice the food is okay, I've stayed there before when in town and it will continue to be my number one choice when staying in Reno.

The only comment I do have is we are truck drivers. There is plenty of room to park a tractor, and RV if that's the way you roll, but, the first time I stayed there I took my trailer. I was in and out, with effort, but if you are a bobtail you shouldn't have a problem at any time. They do have a special place for trucks, RVs and people with trailers.

Room Tip: We had a great view of the roof top AC unit. (sarcasm). They put all the pets on one floor and we w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 24, 2012

the sands isn't exactly luxurious, but its good if you're on a budget. i usually stay here after snowboarding at Northstar (it's about a 40minute drive).

i was in the Empress tower, a newly renovated one--lucky, i guess. rooms are GIANT, with floor-to-ceiling windows. beds are veeerrrryyy comfortable, and i didn't hear much noise surrounding me. was i there on a slower night? cable channels are adequate.

i usually stay here when i'm traveling solo, because you can't beat the price!

the fitness center, jacuzzi and steamroom are pretty good. usually not very crowded.

parking is free, and easily accessible. if you're there in the winter, it gets VERY cold at night--you're likely to find lotsa frost on your car windshield in the morning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 22, 2012

A must visit when in Reno to add more points to your Player's Card account. Great buffet too! The best part of the Sands Regency is the liberal Free Slot Play you can earn. You can also use your points to pay for your meals. The Health Club has the best jacuzzi and is seldom crowded. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Stay in the Main Tower as that's where the Health Club is.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We traveled to Reno, the location was nice. The staff was friendly and made us feel welcome at home . They gave us good directions , which was very helpful. When we checked into the hotel, the rooms were clean and the view of downtown Reno was spectacular. The slot machines paid real well. I think that if I stayed another time, I would play bingo. To all of my friends I made , hope to see you again.

• Stayed November 2012
Seattle
Reviewed November 15, 2012

For an authentic Reno experience, you can't beat the Sands. I booked my room for just $15 using the hotel tonight iphone app, checked in without even putting a deposit down and couldn't have been more pleased with my spacious room, complete with a lounge area and view of the biggest little city.

I liked the cheesy imitation art deco furnishings in our room and the bright flashing lights on the building's exterior, though they might annoy some people. The room was quite large with floor to ceiling windows and even a sitting area. I didn't eat any of the in house food and wouldn't suggest anyone else do so either as there are plenty of cheap food options in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

The casino is very smoky but otherwise okay and the staff become very unpleasant when you are late checking out. There is also a free shuttle to the airport, though I wouldn't necessarily depend on it if I was running late!

Room Tip: Ask for one higher up!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple