“Great Hotel, Great Value, Bad food”

The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Ranked #31 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Rocklin
“Great Hotel, Great Value, Bad food”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We got a king bed in a large non-smoking room for $30 a night. I booked it online and was pleasantly surprised when I got to my room. It was big! Had a nice view, and cool furniture if not a little outdated. Both nightstands were equipped with a pull out tray (very handy) and my favorite feature was probably the small vanity with a counter, mirror and stool right outside of the bathroom with its own light. Heard a little noise in hallway throughout the night but had no trouble sleeping. Not huge on casino's, first time and all but it seemed fine. Good price on drinks about $1.49 for bottled beer or well drinks. Check in was fast and they were very helpful at the bell desk when we wanted to know where the river was and such. Nice pool, wish the bar had been open though. No one seemed to be attending it but there were always clean towels. I will most definitely book here the next time I go to Reno. Very convenient location, no more than 2-3 blocks to Harrah's, Circus-circus, Silver Legacy, Java Jungle, the river. Tons of parking but we had no need to drive after we got there. Be prepared to pay for wifi if you want it and I would highly recommend finding somewhere else to eat. Tried Big Daddy's Cafe- Horrible. Even the turkey sandwich was bad. Second day we tried Cabana Cafe because we figured they couldn't screw up coffee too bad, had iced caramel latte and it was awful. Avoid the pastries as well. My friend got a muffin which turned out to be ham and egg on an english muffin (he wasn't paying attention and thought he was getting an actual muffin for breakfast) but that turned out to be decent. So to wrap it up overall it's a great place to stay but dine elsewhere. Maid staff was also very considerate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was sadly disappointed in the Sands Regency Casino Hotel, especially as it related to the quality of their rooms. The first room we got, which was their basic room, was just a little bit better quality than motel 6 in my opinion.The first room also had no closet. The floors were hideous very dirty( pictures provided)!! So dirty I thought about leaving and wanted to complain but the room was registered in my friend's name and he didn't care. We upgraded to a suite 20$ more the following day and it was a bit better but the floors were still dirty! There was a thin blanket provided on the bed, I thought they had actually forgotten to make the bed with a comforter! Had to turn the heat on in order to stay warm through the night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank forealzchola

Travelers are raving about these Reno hotels

sacramento, ca
Reviewed September 26, 2012

i've stayed here many times and always had a good experience. it is really cheap from sunday-thursday. the rooms are large and clean. i also like the jacuzzi and the pool. also the drinks are very cheap, beers for a $1 and well drinks for $1.50. the mel's diner is also a good place to eat. the casino isn't very nice at all though, don't bother gambling there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sams0n
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Prior reviewers seem to either love this place or hate it. I just needed a place for a night and found that it met that need very well at a very low price-tag. My room on an upper floor was quite large, comfortable, with decent amenities. (Decent shower pressure is a must, and the Sands didn't disappoint.) Perfect, or to love? No, the TV was a touch fuzzy, no free wi-fi, and like pretty much every casino-hotel I've been in, you've got to trek through the length of the smoke-filled casino to get to check-in. I also don't like it that they charge my credit card when I make a reservation. I don't mind securing the reservation with my card, but rather they didn't charge it. Awful, or to hate? No. Room was quiet, clean, comfortable, staff was friendly, price was low (at high season prices, I might rate it a 3 instead of 4.) I'm not a gambler, but casino did feature some $1 roulette and blackjack tables, if that's your interest.

Room Tip: The clerk asked me if I wanted an upper floor. I said yes and would recommend others do the same.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ghp3
California
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Don't even bother spending your hard earned money at the Sands!!!! We had the WORST stay I have EVER had at a hotel/casino in Reno! We booked a three night stay, and didn't get more than a few hours sleep our entire stay.

The first night we endured a screaming baby. We requested a room change, and it was given the following day. The screaming child was replaced with noisy, rowdy room neighbors that banged and slammed into the adjoining walls and doors throughout the night. Their drunken obnoxious behavior (including yelling, fighting, and profanity) extended into the very wee hours of the morning, and after repeated calls to security, nothing was done. The behavior continued two nights with no relief from the staff or security.

We booked a king size non smoking room, but even after being moved, they still couldn't accommodate our original reservation. The first night we were given a room with two full size beds, then they moved us to a room with two queen beds. We never got the room we reserved.

Both rooms were in horrible condition. The decor was old. The carpeting in the hallway and room was old and fraying. The floors in the bathroom were not clean.

The second room was the worst of the two. Not only was it run-down, dirty looking, and dingy. The toilet paper in the bathroom wasn't even on a roller. We had to call housekeeping several times just to be able to have toilet paper roller brought to the room. I can't believe they thought the toilet paper on the back of the toilet would be acceptable to a guest. The shower didn't drain well. The hairdryer was broken off wall. The basics weren't even placed in the room (ice bucket, ice bucket liner, bathmat, shampoo, lotions, etc.)

We stayed in a non-smoking room, but there was smoke coming through the ventilation all night long in both locations.

If you are expecting coffee in your room -- DON'T. We were told that a $3 Walmart coffee makers are too expensive for this hotel to provide even when room rates begin at $139 per night.

The hotel staff didn't even handle our concerns respectfully at check out. The manager stated they would have to check with security. They couldn't "verify" our calls to security or the issues we reported. Seriously???

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had for a stay in the Reno area. I am appalled that a company doesn't value the consumer at all in this economy. We had to come home to get rest and relaxation.

Room Tip: I am not sure there is a good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Laura B
San Rafael, California
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My boyfriend & I just got back from a trip to Reno & stayed at the Sands Regency Casino Hotel.We stayed in the Dynasty Tower.Our room faced the parking lot and pool area.The rooms have windows which open a bit which is great.The room was very large and spotless.The first thing I noticed about the Sands is everybody is friendly & helpful.I was wondering around trying to find the Dynasty tower & two guests offered help.The atmosphere was very cozy & relaxed.The energy of the hotel was very relaxing.Upon entering a "smoking room" it did not smell like smoke.The room smelled fresh,it was spotless,and the air conditioning worked.The water pressure in the bathroom was great & plenty of hot water.There were plenty of hangers in the closet,the desk chair & desk were comfortable.The beds and pillows were comfortable.We found the gaming really fun at The Sands.The location of the hotel is really nice because you can walk right down the st. to the main drag,Virginia and yet you are not on the main drag.There was plenty of parking inside covered parking & a flat ground parking as well.We did so well gaming at the Sands I was really surprised at how many slot machines they had.The had the newest and some older ones that I was happy to play.I also found a few cool one's only found there.The food was also beyond my expectations.My latte was great and so was my breakfast at Mel's.I had egg's Benedict and it was perfect.We also enjoyed eating out by the pool at night,it was romantic.We made a wish in the fountain.While the Sands may need a facelift in the remodeling it will not diminish our positive experience as the most fun we've had in Reno.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jessica_41
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently stayed at the Sands Regency to basically shower and take a 4 hour nap before flying home after being at Burning Man. While my rate of $100 wasn't the most expensive I could pay (Sunday before Labor Day) I feel it's way too much for that property. It really needs an update. The carpeting in the hall and my room was stained, the decor (furnishings, wall paper, fixtures etc) were just so outdated. It works as a flop house for tired Burners needing a shower, but I'd never really recommend this place to anybody.

The staff, on the other hand, was very nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo