“My stay was fine”

The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Ranked #36 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Prior reviewers seem to either love this place or hate it. I just needed a place for a night and found that it met that need very well at a very low price-tag. My room on an upper floor was quite large, comfortable, with decent amenities. (Decent shower pressure is a must, and the Sands didn't disappoint.) Perfect, or to love? No, the TV was a touch fuzzy, no free wi-fi, and like pretty much every casino-hotel I've been in, you've got to trek through the length of the smoke-filled casino to get to check-in. I also don't like it that they charge my credit card when I make a reservation. I don't mind securing the reservation with my card, but rather they didn't charge it. Awful, or to hate? No. Room was quiet, clean, comfortable, staff was friendly, price was low (at high season prices, I might rate it a 3 instead of 4.) I'm not a gambler, but casino did feature some $1 roulette and blackjack tables, if that's your interest.

Room Tip: The clerk asked me if I wanted an upper floor. I said yes and would recommend others do the same.
1  Thank ghp3

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Don't even bother spending your hard earned money at the Sands!!!! We had the WORST stay I have EVER had at a hotel/casino in Reno! We booked a three night stay, and didn't get more than a few hours sleep our entire stay.

The first night we endured a screaming baby. We requested a room change, and it was given the following day. The screaming child was replaced with noisy, rowdy room neighbors that banged and slammed into the adjoining walls and doors throughout the night. Their drunken obnoxious behavior (including yelling, fighting, and profanity) extended into the very wee hours of the morning, and after repeated calls to security, nothing was done. The behavior continued two nights with no relief from the staff or security.

We booked a king size non smoking room, but even after being moved, they still couldn't accommodate our original reservation. The first night we were given a room with two full size beds, then they moved us to a room with two queen beds. We never got the room we reserved.

Both rooms were in horrible condition. The decor was old. The carpeting in the hallway and room was old and fraying. The floors in the bathroom were not clean.

The second room was the worst of the two. Not only was it run-down, dirty looking, and dingy. The toilet paper in the bathroom wasn't even on a roller. We had to call housekeeping several times just to be able to have toilet paper roller brought to the room. I can't believe they thought the toilet paper on the back of the toilet would be acceptable to a guest. The shower didn't drain well. The hairdryer was broken off wall. The basics weren't even placed in the room (ice bucket, ice bucket liner, bathmat, shampoo, lotions, etc.)

We stayed in a non-smoking room, but there was smoke coming through the ventilation all night long in both locations.

If you are expecting coffee in your room -- DON'T. We were told that a $3 Walmart coffee makers are too expensive for this hotel to provide even when room rates begin at $139 per night.

The hotel staff didn't even handle our concerns respectfully at check out. The manager stated they would have to check with security. They couldn't "verify" our calls to security or the issues we reported. Seriously???

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had for a stay in the Reno area. I am appalled that a company doesn't value the consumer at all in this economy. We had to come home to get rest and relaxation.

Room Tip: I am not sure there is a good room in this hotel.
3  Thank Laura B
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My boyfriend & I just got back from a trip to Reno & stayed at the Sands Regency Casino Hotel.We stayed in the Dynasty Tower.Our room faced the parking lot and pool area.The rooms have windows which open a bit which is great.The room was very large and spotless.The first thing I noticed about the Sands is everybody is friendly & helpful.I was wondering around trying to find the Dynasty tower & two guests offered help.The atmosphere was very cozy & relaxed.The energy of the hotel was very relaxing.Upon entering a "smoking room" it did not smell like smoke.The room smelled fresh,it was spotless,and the air conditioning worked.The water pressure in the bathroom was great & plenty of hot water.There were plenty of hangers in the closet,the desk chair & desk were comfortable.The beds and pillows were comfortable.We found the gaming really fun at The Sands.The location of the hotel is really nice because you can walk right down the st. to the main drag,Virginia and yet you are not on the main drag.There was plenty of parking inside covered parking & a flat ground parking as well.We did so well gaming at the Sands I was really surprised at how many slot machines they had.The had the newest and some older ones that I was happy to play.I also found a few cool one's only found there.The food was also beyond my expectations.My latte was great and so was my breakfast at Mel's.I had egg's Benedict and it was perfect.We also enjoyed eating out by the pool at night,it was romantic.We made a wish in the fountain.While the Sands may need a facelift in the remodeling it will not diminish our positive experience as the most fun we've had in Reno.

1  Thank jessica_41
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently stayed at the Sands Regency to basically shower and take a 4 hour nap before flying home after being at Burning Man. While my rate of $100 wasn't the most expensive I could pay (Sunday before Labor Day) I feel it's way too much for that property. It really needs an update. The carpeting in the hall and my room was stained, the decor (furnishings, wall paper, fixtures etc) were just so outdated. It works as a flop house for tired Burners needing a shower, but I'd never really recommend this place to anybody.

The staff, on the other hand, was very nice.

2  Thank cbonk
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Every time we're in the Reno area for an event or vacation we stay at the sands. It has a great layout and the staff is wonderful. We recently had a problem with a noisy guest next door and the security staff handled the issue within seconds and the rest of our stay was perfect.

Room Tip: 6 floor always has an elevator waiting.
1  Thank h a
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We went up on Labor day weekend, accomadations were great. Checking in was long but the staff was great and quick. Husband asked for the sixth floor away from the train noise, and the staff found us a room where he wanted.

1  Thank sar1gin
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The front desk clerk was very friendly and I was checked in quickly. A computer and printer was available at the front desk area so airline check in is possible. The diner located in the casino/hotel (Mel's) was very good with friendly and quick service. The room and it's furnishings were more than adequate, and I was most surprised to find such a large bathroom. It was fabulous! Everything was clean, and everything worked. The best thing about The Sands Regency is the rate - extremely reasonable for the amenities. And finally, the shuttle service to the airport was on time, and my entire stay here was seamless and pleasant. Based on my experience, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Tracy-BO1