“Nice hotel for the money.”

The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Ranked #35 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stay at the Sands a few times a year. For those fussing about the place being dated, I can attest that they are doing some renovating of common areas and rooms. The rooms are definately spacious, nice layout. There is a separate vanity for a lady to get ready for the day, but the lightly is so lousy it is impractical to use for make-up, but works for doing your hair.

My regular gripes about the Sands are the long check in lines and the noise that comes from the water pipes. If someone is taking a shower around you or flushes a toilet, that is no secret.

New gripes on this trip, the hallways to the rooms needed vacuuming, some badly. I had occasion to visit several floors looking for a vending machine that worked, and even though the carpet looked new, it needed vacuumed.

But it is always a friendly, nice place to stay. Well worth the price.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Sands Regency Casino Hotel

Reviewed October 3, 2011

The Sands Reno Casino and Hotel was definately the least nice place I visited in Reno. I went to ALL the major Casinos. Upon walking in the door I was overcome by thick ciggarette smoke. Thei filtration is either poor or non-existant. The class of people in the Sands was a cut below the average I found in other places. It was dirty and not well laid out.

The Sands is a few blocks West of the main Downtown Casino row, but definately walkable if you like the kind of placwe I listed above.

I do not know how it stays open.

I did not stay there or eat there, thank God, so I cannot comment on those aspects.

Overall I give this place a grade of "D"

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank hooglesnorpus
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We have stayed at the Sands several times and have always been pleased with the rooms. They are very spacious and comfortable. The rates are among the most reasonable in the area. The Sands is a couple of blocks away from the main casino area of Reno, but that has never been a problem for us. Check in was fast and the desk clerk was quite pleasant. Our only minor issue was a slight lack of attention the detail in the cleanliness of the room.

We were a little disappointed in the casino part of the establishment. We had trouble with the slot machines on several occasions and it took a very long time to get a slot attendant.

The Sands buffet is excellent. The prime rib was the best ever and the rest of the food was delicious as well.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emerald94
Reviewed September 28, 2011

one person working the front desk for check ins on a saturday afternoon needless to say long wait. I booked in for 3 nights on my second night after midnight big fight in hallway of ninth floor outside my room. On my last night I wanted to make an early start in the morning so went to bed at 11 but continually barking dogs stopped that. When i complained i was rudely informed i was on the pet floor, but if i insisted they would let me change rooms. like i say never again.

Room Tip: to choose a good room go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Tom W
Reviewed September 27, 2011

This is always a fun place to stay in Reno. The rooms are large and comfortable. There is no coffee maker in the room so this is a minus. It is close enough to other Casinos to walk to. Check in was easy and friendly. The price is great.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bmnme
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Stayed two nights midweek. They had by far the best price in town. Plenty of free parking. Arrived early afternoon and waited quite a while in the check in line - only one clerk. Room was large with a great view from the window. Room was clean and everything worked, but it's very old-style and the carpet was stained. Also, would have been happier if they'd had a non-smoking room available. Ice machine on floor was broken, so had to take elevator to another floor. Just a few blocks from the downtown casinos.

Room Tip: our room was at the end of the hall - very quiet
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bobcat10
Reviewed September 20, 2011

on our way to south lake tahoe my husband and I along with two other couples stayed on a Wednesday night. It took us about 35 mins to get all checked in. Our room was large however, the showers water pressure could have put a child or elderly person in the hospital! Even though our room was not upgraded, the bed was more comfortable than the one at the Mariott in tahoe! All in all we enjoyed our one night stay, we all left with smiles. The best part was the room prices ended up costing each person $8.25 and we won at the casino so it was like they paid us to stay there! You can't beat the $0.99 bottled beers either!

• Stayed: September 2011