“Good overall value in Reno”

The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Romania
“Good overall value in Reno”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Recently refurbished hotel, rooms with modern amenities, nice view over the mountains or downtown Reno. Good parking nearby, for free. Casino could be bigger, but it's nice. Good food court.

Room Tip: I preferred the view on the mountain side
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ggabi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Ferndale, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here on a recent trip, returning from Yosemite...early August. My husband found a great web deal (an unbelievable $29.00 per nt.). My expectations were cautious, but optimistic! Wow, we were very pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious, updated, clean and the beds were very comfortable. The hotel isn't right on So. Virginia (Reno's "strip"), it is very close...2 blks. walking distance. The hotel has a Mel's Diner in the lobby area and a very large outdoor swimming pool.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a nice view of Reno's skyline/lights. Empress Tower is more favorable. Also...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sandybeach818
grass valley, ca
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Honestly, we have stayed here before because of the price. Cheap! For some reason we always get a deal and the hotel is nice, clean with friendly staff and the bed is comfortable. What else can you ask for? The resturants have good food, it is centrally located and cheap! The only problem is with check-in. They do not have enough staff to make it go quickly. But they are cheap! They also have a great pool area. We will return. Oh! and they allow pets.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mjnightingale
San Jose, Calif
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The Sands Regency Hotel Casino located near downtown Reno is one of the best budget friendly places in Reno. The Casino is a little worn and usually smoky but the rooms are pretty comfortable. I have stayed here at least two nights for the past three months and I have been happy with the accomadations. I always ask for an updated room that has new bedding so maybe thats why I feel the rooms are descent. The pillows are big and comfy and the mattresses are pretty good. I was happy with the air conditioners as it kept the rooms nice and cold. Overall the rooms were pretty clean. I have been lucky to have gotten free rooms every month. If I were to pay for the room the price was usually under $40 a night. Ohh yeah I forgot to mention that dogs are allowed at this hotel for an extra fee.I have had no luck gambling in the casino here so I like to walk a block East to the Eldorado, Silver Legacy, CIrcus Circus & Harrahs. I wouldn't recommend walking alone especially if your female as some of the street people look shady. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank drinkwiz
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I just stayed at the Sands for 9 nights,I arrived late & the front desk was busy but moving people at a fairly fast pace. My room was everything I had asked for in regards to my reservation request .Still not impressed with the smell of cigarette smoke filtering into the room,even though I was on a non smoking floor,there needs to be an improvement here,the smell made me feel sick everyday.Housekeeping staff could be a little quieter when they come on shift at 8 am every morning,I was woken up everyday by there crash banging around and loud talking in the hallways. The Casino itself still needs to clean up some of the questionable looking people that seem to hang around inside and outside the Hotel, not a good image for quest to have to see & feel somewhat uncomfortable around. I ate in 3 of the Hotel restraurants, Mel`s was average but always quick and cheap, Love the Cabana Cafe good food and again good prices,was not too impressed with the Copa Bar & Grill. I asked the Hostess if I could use my players card to pay before I was seated and she said do you have any Cash to pay, not sure where she was going with that statement. My first dinner there was the PrimeRib,I asked for it to be cooked well & it arrived almost rare, so I sent it back and when the server brought it back the potatoes were stone cold,hence I was done with eating at that point.Someone came over & spoke to me about my meal but I had to ask her who she was first I guess she was the restraunt manager,she did offer to take care of my meal but by that time it was already paid for.Overall most of the employees where plesant in the Hotel,from the front desk staff,Cage staff and Casino employees,but there were a few who looked totally miserable.I still think there are areas which the Sands could improve but I guess time will tell.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank Burnaby55
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed August 26, 2011

the room was just ok lots of room in it the staff and the food was great and only 2 blocks from down town nice pool if your on a budget this is the place to stay...........

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank rickann5511
just outside of St. Louis, MO
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This casino/hotel is about 2 blocks from Virginia street. We happened to be staying here for two nights during Hot August Nights classic car event. The hotel offers free parking but if it's a big weekend you may not get a parking spot even if you are staying in the hotel (we narrowly got our spot the first night) This was my first time in Reno and the Sands. It was nice enough and cheap enough (like $35/night). For the price it fit my expectations. I almost wish I would have spent more and stayed somewhere a little nicer--the car show kept the clientele decent but I could easily see some dodgy people hanging out here because of the cheap rooms. The housekeeping staff was friendly and wished us a good morning when we were going out. The front desk seemed to be consistently under staffed, most times I noticed just one person working. There was a Mel's Diner downstairs but I didn't eat there, we opted instead to find an authentic burrito joint in the residential area. I don't gamble very much but we did go to the casino and it gave us about 2 hours entertainment for $40 and beer is free while you gamble so that was a plus.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple