“Never again” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Reno
south lake tahoe
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2004

Keep in mind when you read this that I have stayed at least 12 trips per year at this hotel for the last 3 years. The service at this hotel USED to be great. The last couple of trips have been stressful. With that said, this is my LAST trip to Silver Legacy. The customer service all around in general has hit ROCK BOTTOM. I travel VERY frequently and have never had a problem like this one.
To begin with, I booked a room with 2 queen beds online. I had previously booked through an online travel web site, since 3 months ago the Legacy said they were completely sold out for the Sat. nite of my stay. A week before my trip I received email (I have a players card) from Legacy with a special offer so I went online and found that they DID have availability. (This is standard practice for this hotel to block all its rooms for special events and then try to sell them at ridiculous prices - $189.00/nite as opposed to the normal rate of $79.99) I cancelled my other reservation, booked the same room at half the price for the 3 days direct through the hotel online. I then CALLED THEM to let them know we also needed a rollaway in the room for the 3rd girl. I was told it was no problem that there was an additional $10 per nite charge. I checked in and was told we could not have the 3rd bed (fire code) - even though their sister property Mandalay has no problem with it AND I had been told on the phone it was no problem. All the suites were sold out, so they couldn't give us a larger room. I asked for a manager. Then had to ask for the hotel GM. (who, by the way was wonderful - but the only one who was) After an hour of argument, I finally won after suggesting that they could remove the table and chairs and place the rollaway bed in and be within code. They agreed and called to have the bed sent up (this was 5pm) At 9:00 pm the bed was not there - called again, got the same argument from the front desk, finally reached the manager (after 10 min's of argument) who said it would be right up. At 12:30 AM (the NEXT day mind you) the bed was IN the room, not set up and the table and chairs were there leaving no place to put the bed. We finally got it straight at 1:00 a.m The next day the GM comped our 1st night stay. When I went back to the room to check on the bed, my key no longer worked. I had to call the desk to get me in. Security was extremely rude, treating me like an idiot (as if I had used a credit card to try to get into the room) then I was forced to go BACK downstairs (at 1:00am) to replace my key (they couldn't have brought one up with them????) The next day I had lost my glasses, so I was looking around the room and found a bunch of JUNK under the bed. The carpet was filthy around the edges, and yes, the rooms are VERY small for the price. On Sat. night we had a bad dinner at their Sterling's restaurant. Our waiter was inattentive, and I had to finally complain about my food to the busboy. After 1/2 hour, I finally got the waiter's attention and asked him if the busboy had told him about my steak - he said "oh, yeah, he mentioned it" and walked away!!!! No "I'm sorry" "can I buy you dessert" NOTHING! I finally got to the Maitre'd and as it was closing time he was also too busy to deal with us (he asked arrogantly "so, do you WANT a cup of coffee?" I was extremely offended. On the 3rd day of our stay I requested the rollaway bed be removed as the 3rd girl was gone. It was never removed, I was CHARGED for it! And to make matters worse was treated EXTREMELY rudely by the front desk clerk (Randi) at checkout. (I guess she felt because we were comped for Friday nite that we weren't entitled to the $10 overcharge for the 3rd person!!! And while I was at her counter in the middle of checkout, she spoke PAST me to what I thought was a customer but must have been a big mucky-muck with the company and completley STOPPED my business and started his! I finally told her I had an appointment to get to and could we please finish up first?) ANOTHER call to the GM after I left, and surprise, surprise, I have never heard back from her. This is the WORST treatment I've EVER had in ANY of my travels and will NEVER stay here again (at least not until MGM takes over and they FIRE everyone in Legacy management!)

• Stayed June 2004, traveled on business
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
18 Thank tahoedee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Onalaska, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2004

We stayed here during the National Bowling Tournament and had a pleasant stay overall. All their staff were friendly and helpful, except for one Players Club attendant who was very unfriendly and obviously bored with her job. The rest of the staff, especially the shuttle driver, check-in clerk, and the waitstaff at the buffet, were smiling and happy to serve. The room is fairly small but pleasant. The only negatives we noted about the room were the tiny size of the bathroom and lack of a fan, which does make the entire room uncomfortably steamy after showering, and the TV is on the small side. But we don't go to Reno to stay in our room, so neither was a major detractor for us. The Legacy is connected to both El Dorado and Circus Circus via interior walkways, so it was nice to go into these places without having to go outside. Overall a very nice stay for us, and we consider this to be one of our top 2 choices to stay in Reno.

2 Thank strssr99
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2004

The rooms are small and cramped. The armoire that housed the television had broken doors. The bathroom had no working fan so the steam was awful after showering. The terrible beds were basically thin, lumpy, foam pads...very inferior for such a supposedly classy place. We could actually feel the springs in the beds. The chairs were both stained and the table wobbled. Although the theme of the Silver Legacy is mining, the rooms didn't reflect it. The bedspreads, curtains, and sad, out-of-place picture looked thrown together by somebody who, frankly, didn't care what the end result looked like. Too bad...that's just what this hotel needs to complete the on-going theme. The smoke was awful in the registration area but suprisingly not too bad in the casino. On the brighter side: The buffet was fantastic. Employees were extremely friendly and helpful (although required to wear ugly period costumes).
We'll definitely stay at another hotel next time...but we'll eat at the Silver Legacy.

• Stayed March 2003