“Easy walk to the casinos, amazing view, nice room, everything was great!”
Review of Plaza Resort Club

Plaza Resort Club
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Reviewed November 13, 2009

When I arrived there were some major issues with my reservation because of technical paperwork stuff and it was already after hours... the General Manager cme to the lobby, made a few phone calls and a few exceptions and made sure that I was happy and satisfied. I was very pleased with his customer service. =) I'm not a seasoned traveler but I was VERY pleased with my room. The bed was soft and there was plenty of comfortable furniture (a full dining set, a small couch, a comfy chair, an ottoman, plenty of shelves, drawers and closets), having a VCR was a bit outdated though... It cracked me up! =) The pool was great, the lounge area was accomodating and the rooftop spa was my personal favorite. Valet parking was mandatory, which seemed strange to me, having never even used a valet before, but the bellhops were all friendly and quick. The morning pastries left something to be desired ( I think it would be a grand idea for the hotel to partner with the fabulous little coffee shop across the street for discounts or something!) but otherwise my three day stay was terrific and I was very pleased with the hotel, it's quaint classic atmosphere, and the prices. I totally recommend the Plaza on the River.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank harness1978

Reviewed April 5, 2009

The Plaza is and elegant resort with a wonderful pool, friendly and efficent staff, beautiful furnishings, and within walking distance of the riverwalk. The 24 hour beverage area was well stocked and a fine variety. The breakfast pastries were enough to satisfy ealry morning hunger. The rooms(at least 1801) had a great view, was clean, with comfortable bedding. small frig and micorwave. Maid service is limited to towel change and bed making unless an extra charge is paid for cleaning. The area around this resort is older Reno yet has close acess to the Riverwalk, a nice brak from the casinos. Front rooms do face a night club that was loud for one night.. possibly closed down by police the next day since we never heard it after the first night. A perfect place to stay if visiting this "tired" city.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alfred S
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Just returned from a week stay in Reno and what a great place the Plaza was. Always try to list some of the disadvantages of a hotel but can not say one bad thing about the Plaza. Staff was wonderful, room was great and the location was perfect. Plaza was right across from the River and within walking distance to everything. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2008

I was misled by the #3 ranking of this hotel. It is OLD, but in very nice condition, CLEAN. As other reviews have noted the location requires a walk through 3 blocks of empty derelict buildings to the downtown casinos. Though it didn't feel unsafe. The lobby is cozy, the rooms are very dated. I thought I had gotten off of a time machine rather than the elevator (which was old noisy and slow) One elevator was out of service for renovation and modernization, not sure if the the one we were on had been modernized yet. The room was clean and well maintained but the furniture and decor were early 80s right down to the plastic flowers through out the hotel. Brass accents with oak wood, mauve accents. All the fixtures were sized for a midget, the single sink vanity was 30" off the floor if that, shower height is great for small children but not anyone over 5'2" , narrow tub/shower that you can barely turn around in.Vintage TV with built in VCR, huge microwave (they hadn't come out with the compact microwave in the '80s) Even the bed spreads were in perfect condition 1980's vintage. Nice big full wall of floor to ceiling windows with a view of downtown and side view of river. The rest of the place is dark through out all the hallways and lobby, so if you are looking for bright and cheery this is not it. The indoor pool looked nice and clean. I would say this is at best a $60 a night hotel, which charges double that. I would not stay here again. It is clean, functional and safe, it is not
romantic, cheery or luxurious.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MovieGuyParadise_CA
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I won tickets to Stevie Wonder on the fourth of July and needed to find a hotel that day. I called my usual casinos to find they were booked, but was referred to a referral service (free). They directed me to a west of downtown casino or the Plaza. I must say that the Plaza will be the only place I stay from now on.

The rooms were large and had a fridge, coffee maker, safe, TV, toaster and a microwave. There was no funky casino hotel room smell, as this is a timeshare with no casino. The excellent housekeeping meant the room was nearly immaculate. The bathroom was well appointed and the sink was separated from the toilet and shower. Floor to ceiling windows meant that it could get hot, but the A/C was acceptable and the views were great.

It is a quick walk to all of the Reno downtown casinos. But, the river location offers a different side of Reno with a beautiful walk, a dip in the river, listen to a vocalist on the patio or a concert in the park (we saw two in 18 hours).

No food here, except for some pastries in the morning. There is 24 hour hot drinks service. The gym did not have mcuh equipment, which was a surprise considering everything else was so nice.

There are a ton of great places to eat nearby. We were referred to Pegs by the front desk staff and were very impressed with the breakfast.

The price was a bit more than a basic casino hotel room, but cheaper than an upgraded casino room. If you are in Reno and think the casino thing is a bit old, try the Plaza, you will not regret it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RickBrad
Reviewed April 16, 2008

Don't judge Plaza by its dated exterior! It is charming, friendly and cozy inside. We booked 2 adjoining rooms for our family of 3. Our 15-yr-old liked the billiards/tv room and the FREE DVD movie rentals. I liked its proximity to good non-touristy/non-casino eateries (Silver Peak, Peg's Ham & Eggs, SBucks, La Famiglia, McDonald's), the picturesque riverside park where I drank my latte & watched ducks and geese swim and the FREE NO HASSLE 1-hour busride to Squaw Valley and Northstar from the nearby Sands Regency Hotel. My husband even got to see Joe Peshie and Helen Mirrin filming a movie in downtown Reno during the 2 days my son and I went skiing & snowboarding. The valets were friendly and efficient. We normally vacation at nice resorts in Maui or Las Vegas so our standards are pretty high. Contrary to its name, Plaza is no resort, but just the same we had a fun, relaxing stay there.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed January 15, 2008

This is an excellent hotel!!! Each room is really unique with antiques and balcony views. The pool in on the top of the roof of the 7 story parking garage and is very luxurious. The staff are friendly and helpful. Best part - no smoking in the hotel and no gambling!!! Don't get me wrong, I go to Reno play at the casinos but it is so refreshing to be able to escape the rat race and relax.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family