“Dirty, lame Wi-Fi setup”

Motel 6 Reno - Virginia Plumb
Ranked #44 of 63 Hotels in Reno
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I thought I'd save myself a few bucks by staying at this Motel 6 in Reno rather than one of the casinos. I should've spent the extra $25-30 and stayed somewhere else. For starters, the carpet had most definitely not been vacuumed prior to my arrival, or if it had the job was done very poorly as there was lint, etc. all over the floor. Secondly, I found a hair that did not belong to me in the shower (it was jet black and I have brown/gray hair). Thirdly and most annoying to me was their wi-fi setup. They charge $2.99 for internet access to begin with and no other place I stay at outside of Reno and Vegas does anyone charge for wi-fi. That alone annoys me but what made this place worse is that when I went to get online, the only way I was able to do so was to download 2 "updates" to my Java. I have traveled a LOT the last 5 years and stayed in a lot of different type of places and not once until this Motel 6 have I been asked to download anything to access the web. The snotty clerk told me it was to avoid getting viruses in their system which I feel was a load. I am frankly not interested in downloading anything from a place I have no knowledge of. I did receive a refund for my interent access fee but was unhappy over the lack of access.
I might also add the surrounding area is a bit sketchy as well though that is no fault of the motel itself that I could see. Also, kudos for the mattress quality. It was excellent.
Overall, very much not recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here over the weekend to attend a dog agility competition ...
The good: price - one of the lowest in town, plus no pet fee! Convenient location. Staff reasonably friendly. Aside from traffic noise, our room (101) was very quiet at night. And aside from the smell (see below) the room was acceptably clean, with comfortable beds.
The not-so-good - no fridge or microwave in room; I thought this was standard at motel 6. No parking in front of our room ... Parking seemed pretty scarce for the whole complex. Although we left them hanging to indicate we didn't need them changed, the towels were removed from our room and not replaced, necessitating a trip to the front office. Although our room was non-smoking, the bathroom absolutely reeked of smoke, with the stench becoming unbearably worse when we turned on the light/vent/fan. We ended up using the bathroom in the dark for the whole weekend to avoid stinking up the whole room. And, there really wasn't a very good place to walk the dogs.
Overall: I am becoming convinced that there just isn't anywhere to stay in Reno in this price range that is pet-friendly and not kind of scuzzy ... and given those parameters this place is not horrible by a long shot. The deal-breakers for us were the smoke stench and the lack of fridge/microwave ... because of those problems we probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne A
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Spent the night here while overnight in Reno. Chose this motel by price and decent reviews. Office staff was very helpful and pleasant. Room was small but clean. Bare basics... Tv reception was poor on many channels. Was apprehensive about how safe and secure we were ...seemed a bit sketchy.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have family here so have stayed a few times. Its convenient to walk to the casinos (Peppermill, Atlantis), clean, friendly and quiet on the pool side. standard Motel 6 features. Good price and great location for downtown exploring.

Room Tip: stay on the pool side, away from the intersection
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bonnie B
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Chose to stay here as opposed to all the alternative casino resorts which were much more pricey than I expected for Reno. Stayed here to attend a 5-day conference at the Peppermill Resort. I requested a room with a small fridge and microwave which was very convenient in that I didn't have to eat out three times a day. I really appreciated that. Room was clean with the very basics--towels, soap, and TP. Don't think there was even any tissue/Kleenex but I wasn't looking for anything fancy either. No issues with the staff. They were helpful when I had questions. I also paid a few dollars extra to have internet access so that I could work on my laptop. No problems with it either. I can't recall the exact price for 24 continuous hours of internet access but it was reasonably priced also ($4?). The motel is conveniently within walking distance (across the street and then a few steps beyond) to a grocery store, a park where I went running (about 1 mile around the pond), and to Peppermill Resort (less than a mile away which isn't a big deal to me and I like to fit in my exercise when I can). I had a room towards the back of the building away from the busy streets so didn't have a problem with that as per some of the other reviews. My only complaint was for the first couple of nights, some of the other occupants were a bit noisy but once the weekend passed, it was much better. Cant have much control over some of the clientele, I guess, given the price. The noise eventually subsided later in the night and I was well rested anyhow. As a single woman visiting, I didn't venture out at night but overall, I felt safe in that area during the day. There always seemed to people walking along or jogging so didn't have any concerns walking to Peppermill in the morning and evening before the sun went down.

Room Tip: Request a room not along the major cross streets. Some rooms have a small refrigerator and microwave...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hammygal
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Arrived late and checked in without checking location. This motel 6 is actually in the middle of a very trafficked junction with noise 24H and too far outside center Reno for comfort. Rooms are poorly insulated, small but everything works and at $35 a night and free parking outside, it just barely suffices.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank MortenDK123
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have a 2 yr old and being from CA, we definitely wanted a non-smoking room. So we reserved a non-smoking room, and when we checked in, I specifically asked again that it is a non-smoking room, right? And the clerk said yes. We go to the room and voila, it's a smoking room. We were already so tired and it was a packed weekend so we were going to just suck it up. But I thought I'd give the front-desk a try. I said that I was very disappointed that she lied to me about the smoking room. She said she was very sorry and that I would talk to the manager in the morning to get a refund or she could give me a refund now. What good would that do, all the rooms in town were already filled that night, where could we go?

So we started to unpack but just a few minutes later, we couldn't take it anymore. I was literally choking, my eyes were blurring, and I was going to pass out, except the smell was so strong that I dont think I could've stayed passed-out as I would be choked awake. So I called the front desk again and said that I have a 2 yr old and whether they could perhaps let us take a room that someone else hasn't checked in yet. It took a few minutes but finally she found us another room, which we rushed into. It was literally like being brought back alive. Later that night, another guest tried to get into our room but we said it was ours. I think the front-desk changed shifts and they didn't update the room numbers. ANyhow, we got to stay in the non-smoking room.

The room itself was small, nothing fancy, just your basic amenities. I wish the fan would be self-adjusting. We kept having to get up to turn it off, then on, then off, as it would get too hot, then too cold again once we switched off. It was really stuffy, too. But it's a motel, you know.. we weren't expecting a whole lot.

Anyhow, as you can imagine, we finally got the non-smoking room that we thought we had reserved, so that's the good news. But the fact that we had to struggle to get them to honor what we reserved in the first place is obviously frustrating. I would almost swear that I would never ever stay there again (and further, given it a 0 star review if i could) had the clerk not righted the reservation, which frankly, she could've actually messed up / decided us on in the first place.

If you're looking for a cheap and ok place, this is it. Just remember to insist on real non-smoking room when you reserve/check-in, or they might give you a smoking one hoping that you don't notice. But for non-smokers, you will definitely notice, so be careful.

Room Tip: Make sure to insist on real non-smoking rooms if that's what you reserved. We were initially gi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family