“They charge for everything you ask for”

Circus Circus Hotel and Casino-Reno
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersBronze level
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“They charge for everything you ask for”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

The rooms were reasonable. When we arrived to our room, I requested a different room with a view of the city. They said sure, $20 more dollars (same type of room). There was a refrigerator in the 1st room but not the second. When I asked for a refrigerator, they said, sure, $5 more dollars. What happened to getting it right the first time ... or making it right the second? Paying additional fees to get things right, after I already paid for the room rubs me wrong.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed in Reno one night on our way to California. Got a room here for under $40! The room was spacious, clean and the best value of our whole trip!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Beale AFB,CA
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for two days (Wednesday and Thursday) in late June. I've read some negative comments so I was a bit wary, warier still when I was quoted an insanely low price ($30-40). This was with the generous 20% military discount. Luckily I had nothing to worry about.

The room was on the 21st floor of the Sky Tower and was very clean. It was a basic hotel room, there was no mini-fridge, the tv was smallish and had very few channels. Also the TV patently told you that you could not hook up game systems or other media. Some people might find this a bit of a racket, but we weren't interested in spending much time in the hotel room. The smoke smell that was complained about in depth was not present, my room smelled very fresh and clean. The bathroom had no mold and was large.

Another strong point was the location. The hotel is located in the heart of Reno and most everything in the city is within walking distance. We never once used our car during the trip, leaving it in the free parking garage (which had ample room). The Automobile Museum and Nevada Art Museum were two fun places to spend some time, as was the Truckee River walk. All the other casinos were nearby as well. Also, since we had my ten year old niece with us, entertainment suitable for children was a prime concern. Circus Circus has a midway, much like the ones at your local carnival (without seedy looking carnies). There were also free circus style shows on the Midway, that took place roughly every hour, although they were only about 10-15 minutes long. Finally, Circus Circus is connected to the Silver Legacy and El Dorado, which also have shows. In particular the Shake, Rattle and Roll show at the El Dorado was a real winner.

The hotel has a rather good pet policy as well, While pets aren't allowed in the hotel proper, they have kennels where you can stash your animal, for 10 dollars a night. They are not too small, especially for smaller dogs like mine, about four feet wide by 6 feet long. You have to take care of your own pet though, so you have to make a few stops to give them a walk, feed them and such. Interestingly enough, there is a channel where you can get multiple camera views, to include a view of your pet in the kennel. One peice of advice, make sure to bring some bedding, the kennels are a simple concrete floor, with a grate for accidents. They provide free poop-pickup mitts as well.

If you live in Northern California and are looking for a fun trip, without an insane drive to Vegas, I highly reccommend Circus Circus.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We made a last minute reservation for a Friday night stay, so we expected to pay more than usual. But at $215 for the 28th floor of the Sky Tower, we expected much more. Supposedly this is the newer tower and we had reserved a deluxe non-smoking room. We were told we had a non –smoking room upon check-in. However we ended up with a smelly stale smoking room that had burn marks on the bathroom linoleum. The upholstered chair was filthy, the room was supplied with 2 small pillows and two thin bath towel and two measly bars of soap. No shampoo, no extra towel. The bed was so uncomfortable we were awake half the night. Now I have not had a 19” TV in a hotel room since about 1995, but low and behold this hotel still has 15 year old 19” TVs!
The floor ice machine did not work nor were there sodas in the machines. I found the accommodations here terrible. I have had better and cleaner rooms at a Motel 6. Don’t waste your money here it’s pathetic.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WellTraveled35
Manteca, California
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We were traveling with my wife and 13 year old son for a youth soccer tournament. Here are the positives: 1. Reasonably priced, there are much more expensive facilities in the area. 2. Location is convenient to other casinos in the DT Reno area. 3. Parking is easy if you learn to choose the appropriate structure adjacent to your room area. 4. The Sky Tower rooms were reasonably clean.

Now the negatives....1. There is no pool or spa available in the facility....they contract with the Silver Legacy next door for the use of their pool but it costs a chunk extra for access....not good when you have kids. 2. The food at the buffet was only average to poor. 3. There is outside laundry service, but no coin laundry facility...again not good when you have soccer uniforms to wash! 4. The circus acts were sporadic and we never ended up seeing an act in progress. The schedules were posted for the following day but not today's schedule on Saturday. 5. wireless Internet is $10 bucks a day. 6. The business center is closed on weekends. 7. Circus decor in rooms just a little gaudy and for some maybe even scary!

Overall, we were disappointed and will likely not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Sonora, California
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I thought I sprained my ankle. We went anyway. They supplied a wheelchair. They gave us a room that was roomy enough for the wheelchair. Everyone was helpful and kind. Turned out I broke my ankle and ended up in the hospital for a day. We are going back. I'll try not to fall again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Fremont
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I have to admit, I had a sour experience with my recent brief stay at the circus. I booked a reservation w/ AAA at a good rate. I got there around 7pm and they couldn't find my reservation. I had all the confirmation information, the woman checking me in was horrible. She asked if I was sure I was staying at this hotel and more really stupid questions. Then she finally picks up the phone and someone there knew about my reservation but hasn't entered it in yet. Next they get my rate wrong, just wanted me to sign something w/out a rate. Another call to someone else. After they get the tower wrong. I showed the desk girl my email confirmation stating which tower and she wouldn't budge saying they were full in the main tower. I was told to take the escolator and shutle to the other tower quite some distance away. The escolator was closed and wouldn't go up, I was lost. Finally got up to my room 40 mins from attempting to check in. Room was clean, looks like they attempted to somewhat renovate it. Bed's been around the block several times, way too soft, like a phone book would sink in it, and linens were low end. Other than that room was fine. Since, I've emailed AAA who insists that they made the reservation w/ the hotel and the property clearly dropped the ball and the circus. Circus has yet to respond, if they will ever. I wanted to eat something. Went to their resturant cafe and surprise the 24 hour establishment was closed. Good luck keeping people there this way fellas.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo