“Home Away from Home”

Circus Circus Reno
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 15, 2006

My husband's work required him to travel to Reno 32 times a year for 3 years. He spent many of the these trips at Circus Circus (and I was with him on some occasions). The mid-week rates (M,T,W) are hard to beat- anywhere from $18-28 a night.

They were always very nice there even once they knew us and realized: 1) that we didn't gamble; and 2) that we always had a super deal with the Hotwire rate. It's a very straightforward place.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank JG166
Write a ReviewReviews (6,851)

Reviewed September 4, 2006

We stayed on Sept 1-4, 2006, as my family ( 4 adults and 2 children) were involved in the rib cookoff. The hotel ROOM was GREAT! It was clean, the bed(s) were comfortable, the bathroom had lots counter space, there was plenty of room for luggage, and the a/c and heater combo was thermostat controlled, so it was perfect ( we used it as a refrig, as well)! The housekeeping was wonderful, with extra towels, and always keeping the room clean! Very friendly! Check in was great, 8am is sooooo much better than 3pm! And check out very easy, espress or on the TV... it is at 12 noon...you can do a late check out for $11.00, additional, till 2pm, or $22.00, addditional, for 4pm...after that it is a prorated amount based off your daily room charge price...great deal if you have a late flight/departure and want to hang in a room, instead! Parking was FREE..and there is plenty, very small tight spaces...unless it is Saturday night, when ALL the locals bring the family to play in the arcade...then forget it! NOT a space to be found!!! The price was good, for Labor Day Weekend...but on other days, it is a MUCH better deal! We payed $90.00, a night, plus tax. But you can get the rooms, for far less, on not so popular times and dates.
Now the BAD parts. Dropping off the luggage was a pain! The valet wanted to take our truck, even though we had to off load a BBQ...and they asked us 5 times within 5 minutes if they could take the car....it was VERY annoying! The bellhop was a bit rude and told us they had NO pool. It was true, but you can use the pool nextdoor at the S.L, for a fee, which he NEVER told us about. I called the front desk 3 times and they told me the fee was $8.00 pp, the others told me they did not know of a fee. But everyone at the front desk was very nice and attentive! The elevator took FOREVER! We were on the 19th floor in the Sky Tower, that is another story...a bit of a hike from check in and out. Stay High, because the lower floors NEVER get a chance to get an elevator! The casino, children's game area, and the resturants smell SO HEAVY of smoke...it is GROSS!! The ventalation is horrible!!! I worked in a casino's, in Tahoe, Las Vegas and in Reno. Circus Circus has to do something about it! The Sliver Legacy, nextdoor, was not HALF as bad as C.C.
Speaking of which, that is where your pool is, at he Sliver Legacy...a $10.00 pp charge to use it. It is VERY small and not too warm. They have a bar out there, serve yourself, with some food items, but it is VERY pricey! Not really worth the effort...if you need and have to have a pool, I suggest you stay there. There is a sky bridge that you can take to get over to the C.C., and food areas. The game arcade, circus preformances are packed into a tight space and can get VERY loud and VERY crowded...hold on tight to your kids, or they will be gone! The games give out, tickets,(which you can "cash in" for "valuable prizes" at the booth...we earned a small HOT WHEELS car for $10.00 worth of effort) UGH...but the kids love it... and"furry friends" of the carnival type...cheapo stuff kids love...The circus acts are good...but it gets a bit overwhelming at times! The people at the casino were, well, pretty sad. I would say below poverty level. Nothing like seeing brand new babies, in a smoke filled casino, at 11 o'clock at night, sleeping in their strollers, while Mom and Dad played video games....nice.... It is a different side of humanity up there, prepare to see a lot of unfortunate types. DO NOT bring your laptop, unless you want to pay for the wireless! The wireless is NOT free, although it is in everyroom, you MUST pay for it. The rates pop up, when you plug in. You can use the business center, for quick access, downstairs. The room TvVs were a bit small , but they had some good stations, so we were amused.

All in all, a good place, just average. I think the Peppermill is the BEST Reno has to offer. But, it is way off the strip. And so is the Grand Resort ( used to be the Hilton), it looks pretty good. I have also stayed at Harrah's, The Nuggett, and the Atlantis. Reno is a different kind of place and town. It is NOT Vegas or Tahoe. So be ready to see Reno and all it has to offer...or not.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank AVATE4U
Reviewed September 2, 2006

I stayed at Circus-Circus August 12th-16th, and was pleasantly surprised.

I had stayed there a little over a year before, and was a bit put off by unravelling carpet in the hallways, peeling wallpaper in the room, and general air of disuse about the property on that trip, but I saw none of those problems this time around. Everything seemed to have been freshly scrubbed and tidied up, and my stay was much more pleasant this time because of this.

I arrived at about 9:30 pm, so the check-in line was virtually non-existant. Instead of the smoking room with a king bed I reserved online, I was offered a non-smoking room with two queen beds (I don't hold this against Circus-Circus, as I have never had an online reservation service get my room preferences right at any hotel). The desk person was most apologetic. He arranged a smoking room for me and gave me coupons for two free breakfast buffets as well.

The room I was given was a handicap-accessible room, which means it had an enormous bathroom and numerous handrails in the shower. I found I prefer this to a regular room, and I may specifically request a handicap-accessible room in future.

My room was clean and the bedspreads appeared to be new.

One feature my room had that every hotel room everywhere should offer as standard was one thick, firm pillow on each bed in addition to the usual thin, flaccid hotel pillow. This was the first time I've been able to sleep on a hotel pillow without having to fold it double, and I greatly appreciated the extra comfort.

The food at the buffet was also better than it was on my previous stay, although still not as fresh and tasty as the buffet at Fitzgerald's nor as varied as the buffet at the Eldorado. If I hadn't had free coupons, I would not have eaten there.

Check-out Wednesday morning was a breeze, as there were no additional charges and all I had to do was let the hotel know I was leaving.

In summation, Circus-Circus seems to have cleaned up considerably in the past year without raising their rates, and they are a very good value for the price.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
9  Thank Scott in Alabama
Reviewed August 29, 2006

The hotel was more expensive than I had remembered it was, but there was a convention in town. My son loved it -- not sure why as he is only 16. It did seem that everything was "extra" -- like the internet access.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank quinnt5
Reviewed August 20, 2006

Stayed at Circus Circus 8/18 weekend. The rates were fair. Room had two Queens and very small T.V. Bathroom pretty good size. Room clean. We didn't have a Do Not Disturb Sign so I called Housekeeping early in the morning to tell them no room cleaning, but they came by anyway twice! We weren't too happy with that. We were in Sky Tower. Only drawback is it takes awhile to get to other areas in the Hotel and layout confusing. Ate at American Cafe great prices, not so good food. BJ tables are $5 was nice. Slots tight not much variety. Ventilation not good. Silver Legacy has much better ventilation. Next time will stay out El Dorado or the Peppermill.

6  Thank slotsgal
Reviewed August 19, 2006

I am a 27 year old male from the SF Bay Area whose parents, as a kid, would take me and my brother at least once (sometimes twice) each summer on a day trip to Reno, NV, where we would go to the Circus Circus Reno Casino and Midway.

The reason we always went there was because the Midway provided entertainment for us kids. One parent would stay up with us on the Midway level and the other would play casino games, and trade off. We always had a blast and since our family did not take many vacations (my dad was frugal), this was it, and it was awesome.

A few years ago one slight change to the Midway was made that still bugs me, but it is not as bad as the others I will mention later: The Snack Bar on the Midway level was removed. Each time we'd go to Circus Circus back in the day, we'd have lunch at this snack bar. You could get burgers, fries, drinks, and my favorite item there, nachos (basically it was concession stand style food, but had a good sized menu as I recall). Try finding a place in the entire Circus Circus/Silver Legacy/El Dorado now that offers concession style nachos in a fast food type atmosphere. Good luck.

When I went to the Circus Circus Midway 8/20/06 with my parents, brother, and my wife, in a trip just like the ones I'd take as a kid (Except I was driving my new SUV), I was in horror over the other changes I discovered there:

1.) Skeeball has been removed. There used to be Skeeball next to the area where people wait to watch the circus shows. It is noticeably gone and kind of in its place is another rip off game where you shell out loads of cash to try to win a stuffed animal.

2.) Remember the arcade area that was next to the restrooms that required you to take a few steps down from the midway? The restrooms are still there, but the area that was the arcade (which used to hold the classic arcade games) was converted into an authorized personnel only room.

Now for the big changes

3.) Remember the fun game in the corner where you pick up a gun and shoot light at targets, and if you hit the target, something happens, like something that makes the piano man play piano, or create animal noises. It's totally GONE. This was the mainstay of the Circus Circus Midway and it is gone.

4.) THERE IS A SLOT GAMING AREA ON THE MIDWAY. The Midway is supposed to be a fun area for kids, but there is now adult gambling on the level. They try to justify it by saying it is a non-smoking slot area, but come on: slots on the midway???? That's blasphemy!

Honorable mention: Silver Legacy took out its arcade in favor of new shops, like a Harley-Davidson store. Whoop-dee-do.

My point in writing this review is that Circus Circus (or more likely parent MGM) made these changes to increase revenue from the Midway, because the focus is all the rip off games. This is complete - because the whole point of the Midway is to draw families there and have the parents gamble, while the kids have fun. The Midway should not be a revenue source, but rather a loss leader which gets people into their casino.

I will choose to remember the Circus Circus Midway of yesteryear, because today's is a complete joke.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Pappy97
Reviewed August 12, 2006

I stayed here as it is connected to the Legacy and Eldorado. Made it safe and easy to cruise theother casinos late at night. I stayed in the sky tower. I was on the 6th floor, a non-smoking floor. My room was very clean and tidy, There was not one stain on my carpet, as I have seen at the other hotels. Maybe my room had just been updated because it was so new looking. The bathroom was large with lots of counter space good water pressure. A/C was working fine. I really noticed that the room didn't even have a faint hint of smoke and neither did the hallway. The only thing that would have been good was a coffee pot in the room. The closest place to get a morning coffee is on the 2nd floor (right where the shuttle is) It is Starbucks, and I don't care for it. But I will stay there again on my next trip. Hopefully I'll get the same room or almost the same

Stayed: July 2006