“They totally rip off parents and young people.”

Circus Circus Hotel and Casino-Reno
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersBronze level
“They totally rip off parents and young people.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We should have suspected they would, they give virtually no incentive for benefits for joining the players club. All slots are way too expensive, up to 2 to 3 to 10 times as much as it says it take to chip in, and they pay virtually nothing back. The kids rides are entirely expensive, and they give out old burger king toys as prizes to them. Furthermore at a slot tournament where only seniors were getting points, I ended up publicly declaring to everybody that I believe the whole place is rigged and I would never come back here again as I threw my players club card at them... so my final word on this place is they use children to lure adults, take both of their money and then give you nothing for it. If you were tired this place is great if you are family do not bother. The only kid friendly place in reno is not very friendly at all.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank mommavenegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Not the hotel for me! Avoid a visit to this hotel at the weekend as it is so busy it is difficult just to walk through it for the waves of people coming from all directions! It was almost impossible to get on an elevator either up or down! Never, never in all my many travels in many countries over many years have I had to stand in a line for ages to get on an elevator. Many guests were giving up at one point and using the stairs which just wasn't an option!!! 16 floors up, no way!!! We were put in the Sky Tower, no choice, NIGHTMARE! Hotel was over run with kids, many unsupervised by adults. Expected children to be in hotel but not running around in wild packs, not that their parents were any better! Some very very rude inconsiderate people! Bedroom, like the whole hotel is a bit tired and dated but adequate enough for our needs. Free wifi access. The buffet evening meal was at least good value for money although nothing special! Pay the extra and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Attending a conference in Reno recently, I stayed here because I could get a room for around 1/3rd the cost of staying at the nearby Silver Legacy where the conference was being held. Ever heard the cliche, "you get what you pay for"? I certainly did.

While the room was adequate and even appeared to have been renovated fairly recently, the atmosphere (and I'm NOT discussing the smokiness abounding in about any casino) and the attitudes of the staff at the hotel and its restaurants were awful. Lackadaisical, uncaring and glacially slow is how I'd describe it. After two bad experiences in two different restaurants there, I ate elsewhere for the rest of my trip.

Knowing the theme of Circus Circus and the family oriented midway of circus games I feel a bit a bit like the grumpy old guy yelling at the kids to get off his lawn, but the amazing number of children -- young kids under ten, including lots of toddlers -- boisterously running around and making it difficult to get from place to place, even late at night, was something that I had not expected. This does not feel like a place for grownups, even if it does have a casino.

Room Tip: The Sky Tower is separate from the rest of the complex, and getting to or from rooms there requires...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

They may just be a victim of the awful people that stay at this hotel, but be prepared that this won't be a pleasant experience. The rooms are dated, the beds are just OK. Our room had an old tube TV in it - I haven't seen one of those in 10 years in a hotel. It didn't really work either. The worst part of the whole experience is the other guests that you pass in the hall. It's like being at a penitentiary (or Wal-Mart), same crowd and a bit scary. If you're paying their weekday rates (under $50) you're probably getting your money's worth, but those weekend rates make it highway robbery.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have stayed here 3 times. The rooms are a steal. I stay in the Sky Tower, work out at the nearby St Mary's Club One fitness club, and go hiking all day. Reno is close to some great hiking not to mention Lake Tahoe. I got a room for $35 at the 50% off sale over the July 4th Holiday (plus $6 "resort fee" per day and $2 pery day City of Reno surcharge plus tax). Still, at $55 a day for a decent hotel room I am not complaining. As others have noticed, the check in line can be long (I rushed to the check in when I got off the airport shuttle) and you don't check in at the Sky Tower where many guests stay. Despite these annoyances, I am not complaining. Yes Reno is not Vegas and yes, Reno and Nevada is not the boom town it once was. My only complaint (no fault of the hotels) is that air fares to Reno have gotten so high.

Room Tip: Get west facing room (facing the mountains)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Colorado, U.S.A.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was in Reno for a conference, so I stayed at Circus Circus from Tuesday night through the following Sunday morning. When I arrived, the pop machine on my floor was out of Diet Pepsi, and I discovered that the drain in my room's tub was slow, so the water would back up when I showered. Thursday, I left a note for the cleaning people about these two issues. The room was serviced and the note removed, but the pop machine was never restocked during the rest of my visit, nor did anyone come to fix the drain. It's possible that the cleaning person never passed along the information, but either way, there was a distinct lack of effort on the hotel's part to fix the problems.

I was in the Sky Tower, and often had to wait in a line to take the elevator up to my room, or wait for upwards of five minutes on my floor for the elevator to go down. As far as I could tell, the issue was that only about two or three of the six elevators were working at one time, and the computer that controlled the elevators wasn't working efficiently. For example, I learned by the end of my trip there that if I called for the elevator to go down, it would show up relatively quickly. I'd take it down one floor to the ground level, then hit the 15th floor to go to my room. It would take me straight up to my room, bypassing the second floor where everyone else was still waiting for the elevators. This happened every time I did it, so it wasn't a one-time fluke.

The A/C in the rooms are on a motion sensor, so they will not cool your room while you're gone. The hotel also keeps their public areas warmer than the adjoining Silver Legacy and El Dorado hotels, so by the time I got back to my room, I would be hot, and I'd have to wait the 30 minutes or so that it would take to cool my room back down to an acceptable temperature. The same would happen when I slept--I apparently don't move enough for the motion sensor to pick me up, so the A/C would stop working during the night and my room would get hot again and wake me up.

The internet required a code that is only good for 24 hours. So the front desk gave me five different codes for me to use during my stay--which I had to enter each and every time I logged onto my computer. And, each and every time they tried to up-sell me for faster internet at $2 a day. The default is set to accept the up charge, so I had to pay very close attention every single time I logged in to make sure I didn't accidentally agree to the extra charges.

Basically, I feel like this hotel does not even attempt to balance making a profit with providing a real service. They are more inclined to inconvenience their customers in order to make a buck here and there than they are to think of new and better ways to make their customers happy. With Circus Circus in Reno, it's all about the mighty dollar, and the customers don't seem to matter.

Room Tip: The Sky Tower is farthest away from the casino and the adjoining Silver Legacy and El Dorado, but th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Hanan00
washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Rooms are fine..nothing special. Bed was reasonably comfortable and room tempreture was good. Food in the hotel is not good. I would say eat elsewhere. The midway was the typical carnival/fair type midway with lots of games for the kids to play and win useless junk that we parents would like to get rid of as soon as we are done jumping up and down for our kids because they "won it". That said, I spent 2 hours on the midway with my kids and it was fun quality time. Expensive...but fun time with the kids. The hotel staff is OK. These folks are not trying to go the extra mile to please or impress, or compell you to come back, just doing their job nothing more, nothing less. We came to Reno for a Track Meet. I did attempt to consult with a marketing and sales person at the Hotel to do a group booking of 15 rooms versus just our one. Could not get anyone to return my phone call and I called 4 days in a row before just telling everyone to book individually. If you are just a family looking for a kid friendly place to stay this is fine. If you are trying to book a team or large group, in order to get priority check ins, food credits or room discounts , I would say that this hotel isn't interested in that kind of business.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family