Circus Circus Hotel and Casino-Reno
GreenLeadersBronze level
California
“Ew”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Ok, I always want to start off with the good, so I'll start there, but keep reading to find out the truth of the hotel because the bad far outweigh the good.
The good:
We stayed in a double non-smoking room on the 9th floor in the Sky Tower. The room was very large. The bathroom is large as well. We received a low rate of $35.00/night which, to me, seemed very low, but I actually did hear one lady totally complaining. Our room did not smell like smoke. The towels were fine and not transparent. There is granite in the bathroom.
The bad:
Dust bunnies and dust trails in all corners and edges of the room. I didn't want to walk on the carpets (barefooted anyway). The comfort of the beds were only ok. My mattress was not as horrible as my son's bed. He is 18 and his back was very achy the next day. Oh...the sheets are not fitted, and on my bed, the bottom sheet was untucked and short-sheeted. I had to make the bed myself, only to find out the "mattress pad" was a small, flat, felt piece of material that looked like the type of thing you'd put at the bottom of a baby's crib. I also saw that the sheets were stained--ew. Thank goodness I don't own a blue light--the iphone probably has an app for it, though. The bedding is old and outdated. They actually have red bedspreads still, like grandmas! Speaking of outdated, the TV is an old 19" box/tube kind, but it WAS a color TV at least! I was surprised a remote control worked such an antique. The hutch it was in was nice, but dwarfed the TV. I was going to rent a movie the next night but considering I could barely see the screen, I decided against it.
The walls are very thin. I could even clearly hear the child next door crying while in the shower, and I understood ten minutes later when I, too, took a shower. For whatever reason, the water goes from ICE cold to HELL HOT...and you stand there in the shower knowing you shouldn't turn up the water when it gets cold because you know you'll fry when it finally kicks in, but you're shivering, so you do, and so on...It was soooooo bad, I did NOT take a shower the next morning. Ugh. There is mold in the shower and around the edge of the bathroom.
The snack bar in the Sky Tower has very limited hours, so you need to walk to the casino side for food. We were surprised that most restaurants were closed so early.
When I checked in, the clerk asked me if I wanted an upgrade, for $30/night. Next time I will take the upgrade to a different location, that's for sure. I was really disappointed because we plan on doing a lot of family traveling to Reno and Circus Circus would be an inexpensive family choice for us, but it's just too gross to go back, and too hazardous for my children with the shower problem.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CaliforniaC_c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Lancashire
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Me and my husband stayed here for a couple of nights whilst passing through on our road-trip. Check-in was quick, we decided to go for an upgrade to a suite as the offer was pretty good, for what we paid the room was very nice.......if you are expecting a suite then you may be dissapointed but it was nice, clean, comfortable. I don't know whether it's because it was mid-week but the hotel (apart from the casino) seemed really quiet which was lovely to be honest and I got the best sleep of our trip whilst here.

I was dissapointed with Reno, the town seemed a bit run down, a lot of things were closed or closed on certain days or at certain times ?? It may have just been our bad timing but we followed this trip with Vegas and there is nothing closed there!

We did like that the hotels were adjoined and due to one of the Italian restaurants being closed on that particular day, we went to Gecko's BBQ (not sure whether this is in Circus Circus or the one next door) and had the best pizza, good service and value for money also.

I probably wouldn't return to Reno again but if I did then i would stay at the Circus Circus hotel

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
marion va
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Me and my husband stayed here in Sept. 2010 and this is the best casino ever!! Very clean, rooms super nice. Food was great We didn't win but a few dollars but we enjoyed ourselves. They have entertainment for all ages and we hope to return soon!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank luckycatMarionVa
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 29, 2011

my partner and i stayed here for one night while travelling from san fran to salt lake city. the price was great and could not be bet. room was big with all the usual stuff required. didnt get breakfast with room was only negititve thing i can say.... there are plenty of places to eat in casino anyway...

we were on budget and felt we got good deal for a sunday night. got a good night sleep with a little bit of gamblin throwin in...

oh also has a gym with few cardio and weight machines

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bopper12
Port St John, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I went to Reno with friends to participate in the 2011 USBC Nationals tournament. We chose to stay at Circus Circus because my traveling companion had a discount coupon from a previous visit, which reduced the cost of our room to about $46 per nite. It was a very good value at that price. Our room was adequate to our needs, and the hotel, restaurant, casino and bar staffs were helpful and courteous. My only problem was with the en suite iron/ironing board. Attaching the iron to the board (presumably to keep us from walking off with their iron) not only creates a safety hazard, but it makes it near impossible to use those tools for their intended purpose. C'mon Circus Circus, gimme a break (and the benefit of the doubt).

Room Tip: Get high. We had no noise issue on the 14th floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank TWFlash
Lynden, Washington
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed 6 nights and generally the accomdations were fine. Clean room, quiet and comfortable. The did not replentish the coffee packets every day which was my only complaint of house keeping. The TV was an old, small tube style and the picture quality was the worst I had seen in a hotel to date. There was no fridge, mini bar or safe in the room.

They had a computer crash one day and the restuarant could not take anything but cash. This would be fine but they could not read our players cards so we did not get the 10% discount nor could I use my points to pay. We were offered nothing but excuses and while I felt bad for the teller, she should have called a manager or been trained to deal with this type of problem.

The Casino is out of date, very few new games, way too many slots and could never get a coctail hostess.

I would stay again becuase the price was so reasonble but I would not recommend this hotel to anyone that wants better accomdations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Orovada, NV
Reviewed June 9, 2011

This is my favorite place to stay. The rooms are large and extremely comfortable. The nice touch is the coffee maker in the bathroom, as well as the pleasant lemony soap, shampoo, and lotion. Kokopelli's sushi restaurant is the best in Reno. If you go on the right days, the breakfast buffet is the best deal. It's in a great location, and yu can walk to two other hotels without going outside. Parking is plentiful and easy.

Room Tip: Go to Last Minute Travel.com
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple