Message from TripAdvisor:

“The hotel @ Asphalt Island”

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Very pleasant front desk and bell staff. Good meeting rooms, exercise facility and Spa. The hotel is isolated from its surroundings by an unbroken, uninviting, wide area of asphalt parking. The result is that guests who arrive for meetings without renting a car are isolated and entrapped at the hotel.

Restaurants within the hotel are adequate. Their kitchen(s) produced food which was slightly above what I expect to receive at well run, major franchises. The offerings were slightly above mediocre and quickly became boring. On the fourth day I rented a car, deeming it worth the cost to escape to better food.

The hotel would be much improved if it had outdoor landscaping. Guests would benefit from the option to stroll after a meal.

2  Thank akjim
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Good afternoon Akjim,

Thank you for the review. We pride ourselves on our customer service, and I am glad our valued associates met that expectation. Our Spa was recently remodeled, along with the Fitness Center; it is always pleasant to hear compliments regarding the changes. We have multiple upgrade plans in the next year to make changes to the outside areas of the property. We hope that we can welcome you back in the future to see the improvements. Once again, thank you for the review!

There are newer reviews for Grand Sierra Resort and Casino

Reviewed March 29, 2014

The rooms at this property are beautiful. It was really nice to be able plug in modern mobile devices using the compatible plug ins provided in the desk. The room was clean, comfortable and beautiful. I highly recommend the Grand Sierra Resort.

Hi Awallacenevada,

Thank you for the “WOW” review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit! Thank you for the compliment regarding your room. All of our rooms have been newly remodeled, and it is always pleasant to hear guests enjoy the design. We hope that we can welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I stayed at the GSR for a convention, and found the facility to be huge, with lots of great ammenities, a very nice place to stay in Reno. The rooms are large, and are well equipped. Internet is very good and stable. beds comfortable, and the air conditioning is actually quiet. Lovely view from our 6th floor window, with many restaurants right on site to choose from. My only complaint about the hotel is the absolutely rude, unhelpful, and useless bell staff. If a manager is reading this the whole works of them should be fired. When I arrived the entrance to the hotel was in complete chaos with cars everywhere. There was no staff anywhere to be found. When a cart was located, we loaded up all our gear to head to our room, where we were rudely stopped by some gorilla at the bell desk telling us we'd have to pay them a $5 tip for them to take our luggage to our room. I don't tip for bad service, (well nonexistant service) If the hotel has a policy on this great, but they are not communicating this anywhere to their guests, and there is no need to be rude to customers who could have just as easily chosen Vegas or a number of other hotels in the area to stay at. They forced us to remove all our luggage from the cart and carry our bags up to our room ourselves...which isn't so bad if the elevators to the hotel weren't on the opposite side of the building.

We were also promised by the reservation staff for a roll away bed for our third guest in our room, however once arriving...bell staff refused this to us claiming some sort of fire regulation. I cannot stress again how awful the bell staff is at this hotel.

In conclusion...great hotel... TERRIBLE HORRIBLE AWFUL RUDE bell staff!!

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage, bring your own dolly or cart and go in the back entrance to avoid the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank zippercat74
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Hello Zippercat74,

Thank you for staying at the Grand Sierra Resort during your most recent convention. We are glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities the resort has to offer. We truly offer a resort where you do not have to leave with the assortment of restaurants, shops, activities, and the casino. It is very unfortunate to read about your experience at the Bell Desk. That is certainly not standard of what our guests experience while staying at the Grand Sierra Resort. I sent you a personal message through Tripadvisor in hopes to find out more about this situation and make sure it is rectified immediately. I hope to hear from you soon, and once again, thank you for staying at the GSR.

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a business convention. Very close to the airport. The facility is very large. Hotel is clean and the staff was pleasant. Not much in the general vicinity of the hotel and Reno is nothing special. Of course, there is the casino and slot machines which are always present and making a bunch of noise. The best thing in the area is Lake Tahoe which is highly recommended for a day trip. Overall the facility is pretty average.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank KI57

Hi K157!
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all feedback as we strive to provide a memorable experience for our Guests. Grand Sierra Resort is the largest resort and casino in Northern Nevada and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your interactions with our staff. We pride ourselves on offering excellent service. Lake Tahoe is an incredible outdoor attraction, located only 45 minutes from Grand Sierra, and perfect for a day trip as you had recommended.
We hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had two events to be at with the first being up the road about three miles from this resort and it was a night and day difference. The Grand Sierra was such a joy to spend six nights of my time in Reno. The staff was friendly, the facility was clean, my room was fantastic. I didn't enjoy any of the walks through the casino because I don't like all the smoke, but I do admit they did a decent job trying to keep it not in a cloud of smoke. The restaurants were very good, from grabbing a tasty bite for lunch, to having a great meal at night. My only thoughts were each of the restaurants that open at night for dinner need to be twice the size as getting into them is a fight; you basically need to make a reservation the day before. That said if you did that, you could find yourself eating some of the best fresh sushi around, or a great cheese plate at the Italian place. I had a room with a great view of the mountains, and it was so nice to have a bed as comfy as mine was, with a fridge and microwave as a perfect added touch. Housekeeping was increadible, I asked for extra coffee the day after I arrived and each day after that without asking again they kept me stocked so I could enjoy coffee day and night. All in all this was a great place to do business at.

Room Tip: I liked the mountain view, with a room having the fridge and microwave, just in case. My AC was sile...
1  Thank wkrupa

Hello wkrupa!
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor! We enjoy receiving feedback from our Guests and appreciate your perspective as a seasoned traveler. We are thrilled you enjoyed your experience at Grand Sierra! We pride ourselves on offering excellent service and are glad to have exceeded your expectations. Our dining options are quite popular with our hotel Guests and tend to book quickly on busy nights. We are glad you were able to enjoy RIM and Briscola. Our Housekeeping team does a fabulous job taking care of all of our hotel Guests’ needs during their stay. We will be sure to recognize them for their outstanding service.
We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

At convention, all my experiences were great.
Exercise room was exceptionally clean and offered wide range of machines.

Ate at the Mexican restaurant, food was great and inexpensive.

Close to airport, and shuttle service was easy to use.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank kaybrick
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Hi kaybrick!
We appreciate you taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your convention experience with us, and we truly appreciate your business. The Cantina is wildly popular with our Guests, and we are glad you enjoyed your meal.
We hope to welcome you back to Grand Sierra in the future!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My friend told me this resort was nice and I found out about cashe AirSupply concert package deal and I came down. The place is like a little city all by itself; movie theater, bowling alley, Stores, Starbucks, restaurants, and an excellent buffet! The casino was very clean and staff was friendly. I would definitely come back again!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank CrzPnkLdy
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Hello CrzPnkLdy,

Thank you for the review! Referral guests are a true compliment and I am glad you had a great stay. We truly pride ourselves on our customer service at the Grand Sierra Resort. Thank you for visiting and trying the buffet, and the showroom for the concert. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!