Message from TripAdvisor:

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed their Chrismas week to be near family and did not want to stay in the smoky downtown hotels. Checked in at 9:30 on a Wednesday eve but all hotel retaurants closed other than coffee shop. Rate quoted included breakfast but the confirmation did not include it so when checked in they would not honor the room with breakfast included. The lobby and common areas are beautiful and have been redone, but our oversized room's remodeling basically included new plumbing fixtures in the bathroom. Toiletries in the bathroom were on par if purchased from a 99 cent store and towel thickness was on par with a budget accomodation. If you are planning on a luxury vacation this is not the place but if you just want a budget motel next to the airport with a casino then this hotel is fine as long as the price is right!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ericsdad
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We strive to create the best possible resort experience for all of our guests. We’re disappointed to hear this was not the case for you. We’d like to discuss this occurrence with you further, please email us at social@grandsierraresort.com.

There are newer reviews for Grand Sierra Resort and Casino

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I recently visited the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, Nevada because I wanted to spend time away with my daughter during school Winter break. I would like to say that it was an interesting stay. First, let me began by commenting on the front desk staff. They were definitely not very warm and pleasant. The lady and the gentleman were straight forward and to the point; even a little rude. Since this was my first stay at the resort, I am going to contribute this factor to the way in which I was communicated with. I noticed the large volume of Asians and others checking in and it seem to be a more welcome reception. The next thing I am going to comment on is the price list in the room. I was almost afraid to touch anything because of fear that I was going to be charged an additional cost for a towel that the limited english speakers placed in the room. Yes, this was an interesting stay. It is children friendly and clean but they need to work on human relations skills. Please keep in mind, not everyone comes to gamble!

Room Tip: Please ensure that you verify your room choice. It was my understanding during my online reservatio...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MinnieMe2014

Hi, thank you for posting to TripAdvisor. We apologize that you did not receive the best service possible when you stayed at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino. We'd like to discuss these matters with you further, please email us at social@grandsierraresort.com.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We come to Reno a lot and normally stay at another hotel, but decided to give the Grand Sierra a try and so far I am not impressed at all. Let's start with the positives:

Large selection of restaurants
Friendly employees at check in
An awesome keno runner in the cafe
The bed is comfy

Negatives:

While the room had modern furniture the room displays a lot of wear and tear for a concierge suite

We ordered drinks twice in the casino and waited forever but they never came

Our air conditioning doesn't seem to be working so we called guest services and they were supposed to call engineering but we waited almost an hour and we needed to go to sleep so we cancelled the call, guest services didn't even try to make it better. Again, not what I expect from a concierge level room.

No extra pillows, but I didn't want to call housekeeping as I had a feeling it would take forever to get the pillows.

I am only on my first night here and the hotel is not busy enough to justify the lack of service on the casino floor and from the hotel staff to fulfill guest requests, but I am just getting the feeling that the guests comfort is not a priority. Also, if your cocktail servers are not going to bring drinks in somewhat of a timely fashion they shouldn't bother taking orders. One thing I know for certain I am not impressed with this hotel at all. This is my first and most likely my last stay here.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle T
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Sierra Resort. We're pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay. However, we're disappointed that we didn’t exceed your expectations. We would like an opportunity to discuss this with you. At your convenience, you may contact us at social@grandsierraresort.com. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here for New Years and had a fantastic time. We find the resort to have a great balance of adult and children activities, great amenities for prices and all in one services. Only opportunity I would highlight is better programs or offers at kids arcade especially if you frequent it. You don't get gsr reward points for anything there and the points to ticket exchange is crazy with no deals for buying lots of tokens. The team in the arcade is also not always fully informed. Good gambling, beverage service and overall atmosphere.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent experience at the Grand Sierra Resort we are happy to hear that you and your family had a pleasant stay with us. We strive to create the best possible experience for all of our guests. Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed here for a business conference, and was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting typical, tacky Reno (sorry Reno lovers!), but instead, I felt like I was in a classy, high end Vegas casino. I had a Grand Suite in the Summit Tower, and the room was awesome. It had a huge bathroom with a big walk in shower, mini fridge and microwave, chaise couch, large tv, and big windows. The rooms had a very modern feel, and the only complaint is that they are a bit dark. I had every light on when I was in the room and it was still darker than what I normally prefer. I thought the two restaurants I ate at, the steakhouse and the Asian restaurant were just okay. I have celiac disease and they had no idea what they could and couldn't serve me, and the steakhouse waiter didn't even know what celiac entailed. Didn't understand what I could and couldn't eat, and wasn't sure on ingredients of dishes I asked about. At another casino I've stayed out previously, every restaurant had options and felt confident telling me what was safe to eat and what wasn't. This made for a long, hungry trip this time, but I did come home 6 pounds lighter (no joke). The airport shuttle driver was delightful! Overall, I would for sure stay here again. The gorgeous rooms made me feel fancy and luxurious!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and many of our great amenities. We strive to create a positive experience for all of our guest. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have had. Please stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Good deal with Groupon: Breakfast included. Nice clean, big room. Delicious breakfast.
Easy parking and check-in.
Only downside is the cost to use the spa facilities: $15 or $30 EACH PERSON, depending on day of the week.

Room Tip: High floors, 17+, have pretty good night views of the city.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hello, thank you for posting a review of GSR to TripAdvisor. We are happy to learn that your stay was enjoyable. Please stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This is the second year I've stayed here with 7-8 friends in 3-4 rooms over New Years long weekend. The price is good, averages out to just over $100 per night.

Our rooms on the 11th floor were clean and adequate for sleeping. You can't really hang out in the room other than sitting on the beds. At night the room is really dim, like there aren't enough lamps. It was pretty hard to see into my luggage and it makes the full length mirror on the wall nearly useless.

My biggest complaints are the smells. The front lobby smells very very very strongly of what reminds me of that stuff used in airplane bathrooms to overwhelm your smelling senses. The casino floor, adjacent to the lobby and elevators, is a smokers den. My nonsmoking floor was less smelly but it felt like I couldn't get a clean breath of air anywhere. The windows don't open but there are small venting covers you can open.

A draw of the place is supposed to be the collocated activities, but everything seems to close early, including most of the food options. This is pretty disappointing.

The reason we stay here is one of our group used to like their New Year's Eve activities. But the last two years there hasn't been anything other than an emcee who more or less just notes that its the new year. Last year there was a dance floor and live music, this year there was no dance floor at all (there was what seemed like an impromptu dancing area in an empty spot in front of some slot machines).

We eat at the buffet most nights which is expensive and very very inconsistent as an experience. I wouldn't go back myself but it's a decent option for a large group that's too tired/lazy to drive elsewhere. We've also eaten at a few of the other restaurants in the hotel and they are similarly "meh" and expensive.

The theater is small and since they have tables and booths (like a restaurant), half of the people have an extremely uncomfortable experience twisted around to see the show.

Since all of our daytime activities are in the Tahoe area (1.5-2 hours away) and there's really nothing we enjoy in particular about the resort, we won't stay here in the future.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

We are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your last visit to the Grand Sierra Resort. We take pride in providing each guest with a good experience every time they visit. I would appreciate it, if you would take the time to email us at social@grandsierraresort.com so that we may contact you to discuss this further. Kindest regards