Message from TripAdvisor:

“10 day stay here, very mixed feelings.”

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“10 day stay here, very mixed feelings.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

SO I am on the last night of a ten night stay at this hotel. I have 10 of my staff here, so I got to hear the gamut. So lets start with what I had. I had a renovated room on the 8th floor. the room was nice with waterfall shower head, deluxe sink faucets, new tiles, very nice bathroom. Sleeping room had new carpet, new chairs, new bed. new 32" modern tv. Really I was very happy with the this room. Then I found out I had a renovated room, most of my guys were not so luckily. Their rooms we horrible, we're talking dirty ceilings, worn out beds, tube televsions. stained carpet. all very bad.....

The normals
The PROS
Renovated rooms really nice.
bowling, movie, gambling,golfing, eating. lots to do here.
rooms service was quick, but blah.

the cons:
very little consistency between hotel rooms.
because of Hot August Nights there was no parking. and the hotel didn't care that you were a guest, you were on your own to figure it out. (hint hotel: if I am a guest, I better have a spaced reserved in valet. You make me circle for an hour to park, means I guarantee I wont return,,,, lower level of hotel feels like a dungeon.
very very thin cheap towels.
just a small bottlr of shampoo. They can afford a shampoo and conditioner.
Power was a major issue, with one of my employees having no power all night long, my clock has been blinking for a solid week, quite honestly I feel iits housekeepings job, so i won't be doing it.

Dining:
Mexican cantina ( when it was open, closed at ddest hours, hey it 920 on friday night, lets closed) was ok/mediocre. Everything was slightly sweet. Not my liking.
Rim- chinese phenomenal, I would drive to the hotel to go there. so very good
port o subs. sad little port o subs, to get a normal sandwich order double meat, single sandwiches were soo small.

Room Tip: make sure to ask for a renovated room. Also don't be to close to pool pump, one of our rooms was...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Clyde_Betts
GrandSierra_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hi Clyde,

Thanks for posting your review of GSR to TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room; however, we are sorry to hear that your group did not have the same satisfaction. It is true, the property was very busy for Hot August Nights. We apologize for the parking issues you had. We'd like to discuss the rooming issues with you further, please contact us at social@grandsierraresort.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,243)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our first stop in a week long vacation. Lot's of valet's, no service. We sat/stood in and around our car with the trunk lid open, flagged someone down, went to desk to get some help. 10-15 minutes and no one stopped to help. It was only after we started to take our luggage in ourselves that someone finally stopped to help, at this point we were so annoyed that we just said don't bother. The valet responded in kind with a snide comment of his own. Terrible customer service. That never should have happened!

Walked into the hotel and it smells "old". Musty, cigarette smoke, old. We get checked in. Nice room. Enjoyed the concierge lounge. The staff there was great. The rest of the hotel, while you can tell they've made improvements, it still is a Vegas wanna be that isn't quite there yet. The shops on the first floor are mostly undergoing renovation or something.

I just couldn't get past the old smell. I preferred to stay in our room because that was at least updated. While it did smell like cigarette smoke, in a non smoking room, that was more tolerable to me than the musty old smell.

We did not find the valet staff to be helpful or friendly during our stay. It was preferable to avoid them. I don't think I'll stay there again unless the renovations are completed, they some how eliminate the funky smell and their customer service is greatly improved.

Room Tip: The Concierge level is a nice bonus and the rooms have a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi Kim, thanks for your review of Grand Sierra Resort and Casino. We will look into the issues your experienced with bell/valet. We apologize the treatment you received. Over the last year, we have invested more than $25 million into property renovations to ensure our guests have a positive resort experience. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the Concierge services.
The Plains, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Everything at this resort was "first class", clean, and well maintained. The cocktail waitresses were the best I have ever experienced in a casino (including Las Vegas) especially Helena. Thanks for a great experience. All the staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for posting your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino. Over the last year, we have invested more than $25 million in renovations to the property to ensure that it is the premier property in northern Nevada. We will relay the kind words to Helena for her excellent service to you.
Chico, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have been staying here for over 7 years. NO MORE, Extremely rude an unaccommodating. The pool is closed every day and they just recycle excuses as to why. Food wasn't fresh or cheap. Or family/child friendly. They are charging for everything. There is a sticker on the bathroom mirror that gives the cost for needing certain items. Alarm clock $41, hair dryer etc... When we asked for a late check out to enjoy the pool finally for 1 hour they told me it would be $20. We will never go back. We did decide to switch to the El Dorado and had an amazing experience that made up for these 2 far from terrific days. I sure hope GSR gets dialed in like the El Dorado or they might be closed soon.

Room Tip: Request non smoking.
2 Thank Cherisse G
Castle Rock, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our family occupied several rooms at the resort, and each room was different. Mine had not been updated like the others, so we still had an old tv & decor, but the rooms was clean & satisfactory. We all were pleased by the friendly & helpful staff in the shops & especially the restaurants. Some of our food was undercooked & the waitress quickly brought a new plate--great service. It was a busy week-end & the hotel was full of families, but over-all, it was a pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We recently stayed 4 days in the Reno Area. After a one day road trip around Lake Tahoe, we needed to return to Reno for one night in order to catch our flight the next day. While looking for accomodation options for that one night we opted for and booked a room and show package via the GSR website. The regular room price was $80 and the room/show package (same room plus 2 $25 show tickets) was $90. Upon check-in we were told there was no show that night even though we were able to reserve the room/show package for our one night stay. The desk representative checked out our claim and agreed it was true. After some discussion he offered the room to us for $80, not $90. I was unable to convince him that our loss was missing out on the show, not the $10 difference in the room rate. I asked to speak to the manager. She told me since the show tickets were "comped" they had no value and there was no loss to us due to the show having no value. I was astounded that the manager could only see this scenario from a GSR accounting perspective, completely oblivious of the guest perspective. After encountering this insurmountable disconnect, I requested a $50 discount (price of 2 $25 tickets) off the $90 room price which was quickly granted. We would have much rather gone to the show as planned than received the $50 discount, but under the circumstances it was a fair deal. The two major issues here are: Why could I book a package that was unavailable and how could a GSR manager not be able to identify with a guest's perspective. FYI- We were very well pleased with everything else during our GSR stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
santa babara
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family and i stay in the two grand suites room when i book this hotel from Expedia i book two rooms with two beds each they call this grand two suites any way this is not a suite.when i check in the hotel i went to the front desk she don't have any customer service at all she said we don't have a two beds suites only available is one king bed suites i tall her when i book the hotel i booked two beds.she said that's optional i tall her i book the suite for sleep in the floor.
she said i cant help you we are very busy today and we don't have any two beds available. Then i ask can i speak to your manager. she came and toll me OK i will give your a room with one king bed with sofa bed in that time i did not have any option i took the rooms.and i also request i need the rooms next to each other because is one family.they don't care they gave me two rooms one end to other end.These beds are very bad sofa bed cant sleep its a broken bed better to sleep in the floor.This hotel is the worst hotel i ever being to.since i booked from Expedia they want refund my money.They don't have customer service hotel rooms are very bad.finally when i check out they charge the resort fee and movie charges $145.58 they said we watch the movies.For that money i can rent 5 months of movies.If you go to this hotel ask the front desk to block your pay per view movies.They don't cares the guest they never give any service for guest.I worked in the hotel chain as well.This is the worst hotel.All the front desk and supervisors they don't care the guest.They call this is resort but they have only few amenities.I never recommended any one for this hotel.

1 Thank shanSantaBabara