Message from TripAdvisor:

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I recently visited this hotel. I was very impressed by the rooms, casino and overall experience. Prices throughout the casino were very reasonable. 5 dollar tables on Friday and Saturday. We hit golf balls at a unique range outside casino. We had a great time.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,295)
  • Korean first
Camarillo, California
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Grand Sierra Resort while visiting a friend who was in the hospital in Reno. The room was wonderful. Loved the bed and the large marble bathroom! We stayed in the Concierge Level and enjoyed the lounge and continental breakfast. Very nicely done! Only complaint I would have is that when checking in, the person did not inform us about the concierge service and lounge. Luckily, I had used concierge rooms before and knew there was a lounge somewhere. We found it by looking on the elevator placard.

We dined at the Briscola one night and did not have a very pleasant experience. Seated at our reservation time, but then were left with no drink order taken for over 15 minutes. Finally the server came and got the order then we didn't get the wine we ordered (tap on house wine wasn't working) and were given a substitute bottle of wine which was okay. We felt ignored. When the food finally came it was very good so that was a good thing!

We also ate in the little cafe several times. Service there was excellent each time. In fact, our server, Jim, was exceptional. Wish we'd had him at Briscola!

Overall, our trip was stress free due to the nice amenities at the hotel. We would definately stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had gotten 2 nights free at GSR so decided to take advantage of it for a ski trip (to Tahoe). We arrived close to 11pm, but given that it's a casino hotel, they were available to check us in quickly. Parking wasn't too bad. The lobby had a Starbucks and cafe with breakfast and sandwiches.

Our room was on the 16th floor and was quiet. The hallway leading to our room was somewhat dark and smelled of smoke. The view (of the parking lot) was not that great, but we were just there to sleep, so didn't matter much. The room was clean and large. It had a desk, medium sized flat screen TV and comfortable chair. There was no fridge or coffee maker. The bathroom had a shower over tub, and large sink with plenty of counter space. The bed was comfortable, although the pilows were somewhat soft and flat. We had to request 2 extra pillows, which wasn't a big deal. The wifi worked fine.

We didn't go to the fitness room, spa, pool, or buffet, so I don't have anything to say about those amenities.

Pros: comfortable bed, price (reasonable if we had to pay), wifi was easy to use
Cons: no refridgerator, dated outside of the room

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ltsao01
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night only to visit my son at UNR on March 17, 2013. Do not let them put you on the second floor in room #270. It was the worst room I have ever stayed at while in Reno. i will never stay at this hotel again!!! The room smelled old and musty, the shower stall had rust/mildew around the edges and there was only a hand held shower wand in the shower (no built in shower head). When I attempted to set the wand in on its holder in the shower, the water spewed out onto the floor of the bathroom. Then I attempted to aim it at the back of the shower, but this also proved to be ineffective. In addition, the toilet sat so low that it was extremely uncomfortable. I am only 5'3" tall and it way too low for my stature. We were tired from driving by the time we noticed the issues with the shower and toilet, so my husband refused to allow me to ask for another room. My husband and I both agreed that this was some type of handicapped room. Neither of us had an physical handicap. I agreed to keep quiet for the night as long as we left the next day, and also if I could voice my concerns to the front desk the next day. I spoke with the front desk staff and a manager the next day and asked if the room was some sort of handicapped room due to the low toilet and shower concerns. They denied it, but I do not believe their answer was truthful. They offered me another room, but we had already decided to move to a different hotel. They said something about they were in the process fo remodeling rooms, so possibly other rooms may have been nicer. My advice is to stay elsewhere. The smell of this hotel room is enough to keep you away.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 2nd floor in room # 270.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BernieOk
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

hotel well situated near airport, rooms clean although a bit dated. good overlooking , pool and golf range on the water, that was cool had to go and give that a try. casino good, Starbucks in the lobby always a plus but doesn't open until 5am, coffee available elsewhere. overall good, drawback they charge for use the business center, no biggy but inconvenience. Anyway, worth s visit

Havelock, North Carolina
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had stayed here once before and wasn't thrilled, but thought I would give it another chance. Their prices are GREAT. The resort fee of $10.00 per day plus taxes includes valet parking, bottled water and wi-fi - that's a good thing.

What made this a bad experience were the following issues: The smell in the hallways was nauseating. I got a standard room and while it was large and VERY clean, it would not cool down. Besides being hot, and aggravated by the smell, the toilet would not flush in my room. There is no mixing valve in the tub/shower. This means you have separate hot and cold handles and mix the water yourself. What is this, the 1950's?

The good: a comfortable bed, lots of towels, great pillows.

I had booked two nights and after the first night, I complained to the front desk and wanted to check out. They offered another room. I dragged my luggage up to the 2nd room and found another problem. The room had recently been painted without using low VOC paint. The room reeked of paint smell. Why in the world would they use paint with such an odor when you can buy paint with very little odor these days??

Once again I went to the front desk and they offered a 3rd room. I refused since I was running out of time and needed to get to work. I was also tired of dragging my luggage all over the hotel and Casino!. I checked out and will never return to this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank SharonB2
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Rooms were great as they were recently remodeled.. Marble bathrooms were immaculate. Service was very friendly and I was always acknowledged by staff. The entertainment geared towards the kids is a wonderful idea, bowling, laser tag and movies such a great idea! I used the gym frequently, something I really enjoyed as I traveled alone and couldn't venture out much. I stayed here via a conference with work, so I'm not sure of the rate. The only item which would have made my stay more relaxing would be a tub.. My room only had a shower. Also my reservation called for a king size but I received 2 queen beds.. Minor issues. All in all the place was wonderful.