Message from TripAdvisor:

GreenLeadersSilver level
Reno
“A Night at the Resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I really did not have time to check out the resort. Hope to get back one day and check it out. Sad that the arcade was closed when I was there. The room was fine. Towels are a bit rough. I imagine the place was nice in its hey day. It does seem a bit old and dated. But it is still a fine place to stay. One thing I did not like was the resort fee. I do not even know what it is for. IWhen I booked and payed months in advance it was a seventy dollar charge but by the time all the other fees were tacked on it was close to a hundred dollars. Just be up front with the final cost.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,067)
Sonora, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at the grand sierra for several reasons. This is the best hotel in Reno if you have a large family. The grand sierra has the biggest family fun area, with over 10,000 sq ft of activities for all ages. Also their cinema for kids and adults what a great value. We have kids from ages 7 to 17 and they always had something to do. Grand Summit II is where we stayed, clean and spacious rooms. Looking for a great value and unlimited activities this is the place to stay. Johnny Rockets great food and service. We will come back and stay again. This will be our family vacation spot.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reno, Nv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here for a company Christmas party December 2012. Very good prices, the rooms are good and clean, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Very easy to find things in the hotel, and fun stuff is located close in the hotel (arcade, bowling, casino, bars, restaurants, Starbucks, ect). We stayed in the economy rooms - curious to see what the summit tower has!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dlsteffanic
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Rooms are decent, clean and spacious. It's a basic room with no coffeemaker, no refrigerator, no microwave. There is a Starbucks in the hotel where you can get your coffee but I still missed having a coffeemaker in the room. It's a high rise hotel with many restaurants and shops. There is a nice big pool with a sandy beach but we didn't use it. Seemed like too much trouble to get to the pool from the 17th floor. The casino has a nice big non-smoking section although there were some people smoking and I had to tell them that it's non-smoking. They need much bigger signs for the non-smoking section.

Room Tip: The have newly remodeled rooms available at a higher price.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sandwich, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I must start this review saying the hotel, restaurants and the remodeled rooms are Awesome! The restaurants all serve delicious food. The Chinese restaurant RIM AWESOME,
Charlie Palmers Steak House AWESOME! Ate at Charlie Palmers 2x's., Can't say enough.The service, food and drinks are as good as any restaurant in Chicago. (Much Cheaper too).

Now for the casino! I stayed for 9 nights, I was in Reno for other reasons. Not a gambling holiday.
I did however play the slot machines and black jack. Of those 9 days I was there, I played every morning before my wife was ready to leave the hotel. I played every night when I returned to the hotel. How much money did I win you ask? I won NOTHING! It is the first time in my life that I have been completely shut down at a casino. The remodel of the hotel must have taken any chances of winning away. The hotel is beautiful now, however I would rather stay at a dated hotel with good food than get completely shut out. When I say I got shut out I mean I hit one slot machine for a $100. And please don't think I didn't spend any money there because I did.
I lost plenty. I would not go to the GSR to gamble. My son lives in the Truckee area, whenever I visit him I always book a room at the GSR. I believe after this trip I shall look elsewhere.

On a positive note, I saw a concert at the venue at GSR. It is a beautiful theatre. If you get the chance to see a concert there I highly recommend it. (Just don't gamble there).

Room Tip: Stayed in the Remodeled Grand Suite Room. Very happy. Very Roomy and clean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We spent three days at the Grand Sierra during the Thanksgiving holiday. We got a very good price on the room, which was very clean and well furnished. The bathroom was marble throughout, and although there was no bathtub the shower was very nice. The king-sized bed was comfortable, with a Sealy PosturePedic mattress. Every hotel employee we dealt with was friendly and helpful. Customer service is obviously an emplhasis here.

Now the caveat. This was more an irritation than anything else, and it would not stop me from staying here. Still, it bears mentioning for informational purposes. Despite having a pre-paid reservation, I was charged an $11.30 daily "resort fee", and because I paid with a debit card the hotel held back $50 per day for "incidentals" (none of which I used). That means that they tied up $150 in my bank account until I checked out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hampshire, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in the summit towers with my boyfriend for the Marine Ball. It was definitely worth it. I would pay the extra money to stay in the summit towers, otherwise you'll get a really crappy room(my friends stayed in that). They were jealous. So much to do at this hotel and so many things within driving distance. Many places to eat at the GSR.

• Stayed November 2012