Message from TripAdvisor:

“Enjoyed it more than I thought I would”

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Normally, we like to stay in more boutique hotels, but I had a conference here and quite enjoyed it. We had family come in as well and there was plenty to do to keep 10 people, ages 10 to 70, occupied for 5 days.

We stayed in one of the newly renovated Summit rooms (worth the price of the upgrade) and we were very happy with our room. Restaurants were all good and could accommodate our large party. We had a ton of fun playing shuffleboard, in the arcade, by the pool and with the go karts.

We would definitely consider staying here again if we are ever back in Reno. Good value for the money for sure.

Room Tip: Choose the Summit rooms- they are recently renovated.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed here in July 2012 because I got a special for Free Nights and Free Slot Play. I have also been to this hotel/casino before for a Convention.

This place is great to hold a convention or a wedding the whole basement is full of conference rooms. There's also an enormous family fun center with video games, bowling and many other things for the kids.

The casino is huge! I remember the first time I went there I felt I needed to rent a go-cart. This time there was a lot of remodeling and renovation going on so portions of the casino were closed. SLOTS were everywhere and I did notice the ones that said "I've been loosened" did hit more frequently but still wound up with a loss.

They have some of my favorite slot games! Ghostbusters, Batman the Dark Knight, Joker's Heist, a slot version of craps, and Wheel Poker.

They have one of the BEST BUFFET'S I've ever been to at a casino. Their restaurants are also very nice.

For the BAD: The room was the definition of AVERAGE. I got a GREAT VIEW OF RENO but I've seen nicer casino rooms. The Hallways looked horrible, they are in bad shape and desperate need of remodeling. Also the food is very expensive! Like I just had a late night snack craving and the cheapest thing at Johnny Rockets is like $11, when I just want something for less than $5. There is a cafe that sells pizza slices, but they close early. I just find that unusual for a casino normally they have cheap food options for gamblers. But then again I can't complain too much because I got the room for FREE!

The biggest con about this place is that it's too out of the way from the rest of Reno. So if you didn't drive here you'll be kind of stranded and have to get a bus or something to see the rest of Reno.

My car wouldn't start on the day I was leaving and their security guards were nice enough to try to jump start me. I am very grateful for that.

Staff was very excellent as well.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the WEST SIDE you will get an excellent view of Reno.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stay here every year for Hot August Nights. So far, everything has been ok. Not great, but no complaints... We are currently staying in the regular tower and the room is dirty. HAIR in the tub GROSS. One lamp has a burnt out bulb. AC is antique and working poorly. NO REFRIGERATOR. No coffee pot. No microwave. I have certainly stayed in worse hotels... but this time it's really bad. Not all of the rooms are this bad... but we got a BAD room!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M K
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We reserved a "Summit Grand 2 Suite." It had been completely remodeled and had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and in-room safe. With the resort fee, it was still only $55 per night plus tax. The room was clean and spacious, and the beds were very comfortable. My wife and I ordered room service, and the food was good and the service excellent. The wireless Internet service, however, was quite slow, and the optional wired LAN didn't work in our room, even after a technician tried to repair it. We do highly recommend the fitness center as the latter had great equipment and was not crowded at all. The only service problems that we encountered were in the casino. I ordered a drink and waited 25 minutes for it to arrive. The cocktail waitress forgot it the first time and then made me wait a second round of drinks before she brought it. Overall, we recommend this resort, as it was much more economical than the Atlantis or Peppermill.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the suites. They are worth every penny.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel. I booked in advance and arrived to check in on a midweek afternoon. WIth few signs for self-parking, it was confusing to find where I was supposed to end up. Parking spots very narrow and the lot is not secure.
There is no easy way to get to the entrance; travellers have a choice between a long staircase up to the entrance area, or going up the bus ramp. Even right at the front door, there are no ramps to wheel your luggage.
Service at the front desk was difficult to hear with the casino sitting right behind it. Check in was tedious, the person was not friendly, insisting that even though I had booked well in advance, the only room available was just above the casino floor, with no view. SInce I didn't really care about a view, I thought this would be sufficient, but I arrived at my room to find a dark, run-down room with double beds, a stained carpet and bathroom that looked as though it hadn't been cleaned. It smelled like mildew. It was not even as nice as a room at Motel 6. I didn't think a " 3.5 star" resort could even contain rooms like this!!
The air conditioner didn't work on a 98 degree day, so I had to call and request a room change. Imagine my surprise when there was in fact a standard queen room available on the 5th floor! Much cleaner, somewhat more comfortable furnishings, and functional a/c. Even in the bette room, the carpet was tattered, and the TV was old and had poor reception. Though wireless was included in the resort fee, I was only able to get 1-2 bars of reception.
My advice to travellers who enjoy a clean, comfy room: when in Reno, if you don't care about the proximity to downtown, stay at the Peppermill. Their standard rooms far outstrip the Sierra in terms of comfort and cleanliness, and their customer service is phenomenal.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a good place to stay if you have kids and want to keep them busy, there is a pool, bowling alley, driving range and other things for them to do. It's a big property and the casino and restaurants are clean and decent. There is also a Starbuck's located on site.

I stayed here for many years while visiting family in Reno and the common areas and rooms are very worn down and tired looking. In the summer months lots of very large groups of teenagers that are playing in sports tournaments stay here. Being teenagers, they run (literally) around the halls at night when they've returned from their sports stuff and it's very noisy.
You have to pay for archaic, wired internet service. There are better places to stay in Reno.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as possible. If you need some peace and quiet, ask for rooms away from the tee...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We were lucky to get an excellent Hotwire rate for this hotel. We were given a room on the 14th floor. It was one of the updated, renovated rooms.
The hotel looks overwhelming at first. Go straight to the valet when you park. It's free and makes things easier.
Checking in was a tedious task. There were a lot of people in line and it took about 1/2 hour to finally talk to the reservation desk. There is a $11.95 resort fee. We had free internet.
The room was clean and spacious. The bathroom was very clean and had a Television in it! The marble in the bathroom was a nice touch.
I like the overall feel of this hotel. Everything is clean and classy.
Only stayed one night, but I would definitely stay here again. There's a lot to do and the room was comfortable and clean. PLUS, the price was right. Thanks Hotwire!!

Room Tip: Use Valet, Ask for a renovated room when checking in.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family