Message from TripAdvisor:

“Great stay for the whole family!”

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 6, 2012

There were a lot of bad reviews but I booked the hotel anyway. Sometimes, it's just a personal experience. Checked in on a Monday night so it was not as busy (5-7 min wait). I reserved the Grand Suite Room so it was very nice, clean, and large. We did not realized that there were two different elevator for the type of room we rent. We got on the wrong one but found a very nice worker who took us to the correct elevator and walked us to our room! She almost did not take our tip when we offered it too!

Because we had kids, we were only able to go bowling, play games, and swim at the hotel. Everything was to our expectation except that I think they should have shades at the pool/beach. All they offered were cabanas for rent which was around $40 for 4 hours.

Room Tip: Look for specials through Hotels.com for specials. Got my Grand Suite for only $60 per night. If I...
1  Thank MistyNSu2005

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Resort fee cost $11.30 per day, no coffee pot, everything in the room seemed really old, musky smelling, if you pay less 40.00 per night that would be acceptable. The room was clean but the carpet was stained in several places, loud neighbors had to call security, wifi is included with resort fee and two bottles of water are included. Smoking is permitted in the hotel ! Nice bed though , clean and good matress

Room Tip: They have a new part of the hotel & an old part, good luck trying to get into the newer rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arcticblueice
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Was offered a 30-50% off room sale by the resort. After making reservations for 3 rooms with them, I noticed they never applied the "sale". I called and spoke directly with Management and they used EVERY excuse in their book to make it appear as though I was the one who made a mistake (you chose a blackout date, you need to book the reservation online in order to get the sale offer, you chose a room type that isnt covered...blah blah blah). DID NOT attempt to rectify the issue and instead accused the customer of lying and making an error. Never considering this resort EVER. Business lost...not to mention how incompetent their staff is...don't be surprised if they give you the runaround....shame on them for running such unhonest business.

Room Tip: Be advised! You are better off selecting a different resort.
2  Thank Miss_LLis
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have had the pleasure of staying at Grand Sierra, as well as playing and seeing a show. I have never had better customer service. Sara was on top of my requests and doing what she could to accommodate my family and I am grateful! This is a great place to bring the kids or just yourself and spouse. There is something for everyone. This kind of personalized service in unheard of anymore and I love it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This was our 3rd stay at this resort. We've been coming the last couple years for a semi annual Scrabble tournament. We've been fortunate to get good service everytime we come. We were lucky enough to get one of the rennovated rooms - our room had a safe, fridge, microwave, extra pillows, a coffee maker, and a flat screen TV.

There is lots to do at this place, The kids and I didn't step one foot outside the resort There were lots of eating establishments for the (Round Table, Johnny Rockets, Port O Subs).
For the adults, there are also plenty of options - buffet, Palmer Steak Restaraunt, Mexican Cantina, Asian Pacific Rim, Cafe, Deli, and Starbucks. Also - my favorite was the wine bar vending area - Lots of different types of wines in it.

Lots of activities for the kids - Bowling, movies, and a outdoor pool with a beach.
A couple of higher end women's clothing boutiques and a jewelry store. There is also a nice workout/spa area.

Overall, this is one of our Family Favorite places to stay in Reno!

Room Tip: ask for a rennovated room!
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We booked this hotel last minute for the Florence + the Machine concert. We drove all the way from San Fran! Great value for what we paid! We stayed in an older, not yet renovated room. We wanted to upgrade rooms, but the hotel was sold out. As we were walking down the hall, we felt like we were in a horror movie, but considering the age of the hotel, the rooms were very well maintained, clean, and quite roomy. Our rooms were on the 7th floor and overlooking the pool towards the airport - very pretty! Love the pet-friendly policy. The facility was more than we expected. The renovated portions are beautiful! Loved that all we had to do to get to the concert was walk through the lobby. The casino was small, but diverse enough and fun. With all the activities on property, you never have to leave the property.

Room Tip: try and upgrade to a renovated room for a minimal cost.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your feedback! Wasn't Florence + The Machine a great show? She absolutely killed it! Hopefully you will have an opportunity to stay with us again and check out our Summit rooms as well as some of the other renovations we have completed since April.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We live in South Lake Tahoe which is a little more than an hour drive away and booked 3 rooms for 2 nights at the Grand Sierra on Living Social and planned to be there with my wife's family for a couple of nights on the front end of their trip to Tahoe.

The rooms are not terribly outdated but also not particularly modern. Everything however felt clean and put together. Big rooms. We had a room with 2 beds and our kids slept in one bed, my wife and I in the other -- and with the 4 of us in the room it did not feel small. Ample space for luggage adn a nice sized closet and drawers for clothes.

The public spaces are what really makes the Grand Sierra great. The pool is awesome. Sitting at the beach themed pool and drinking a margarita at the pool side cabana bar I felt like I was on some tropical island.

Our kids also played in the awesome kids area which also includes an arcade and laser tag. There's also all kinds of boutique stores and "cheap food" at Round Table Pizza.

Couple other things:

Went to a Mexican themed bar just off the main casino floor with my brother in law and father in law. Margaritas were great. Served lite food which was also tasty and a great salsa bar.

The buffet was fantastic. One of the best buffets I've ever been to.

The hotel and casino feels great in general. Much nicer than the casinos in South Lake Tahoe. Felt more like I was in Vegas.

There's a Starbucks just off the casino floor and adjacent to the lobby.

My wife wrote a more extensive review on our family travel lifestyle blog. You can read that post here: http://www.familytrek.org/grand-sierra-resort-awesome-family-time/

Overall, we were very happy. Plan to stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family