“Average”

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 26, 2012

For the price rooms are average. For the price lobby is smokey need better ventilation.

• Stayed: May 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (14,469)

Reviewed May 25, 2012

This will will be a long review. I'm a frequent guest at GSR and have seen the latest on the remodel. This review will kind of be a comparison between to formerly legendary hotels Grand Sierra (MGM Grand/Bally's) and Montbleu (Ceasars Tahoe) as I stayed at Montebleu on 5/19 and Grand Sierra on 5/20.

As you come into the GSR entrance, it has a new contemporary look to it - very nice. From the entrance, you can see the casino area where the carpeting has been changed from an dirty looking dark color to a nice colorful pattern. You could see the renovations to the bar (2500 East) which is very nicely laid out. The only thing that I don't like about it is the fake alligator skin chairs. The white chairs look as if they were taken out from a patio as in-between the prints look dirty. I think classier chairs would have been better as the bar area looks pretty classy.

The ceiling of the casino used to be a dark color which made the atmosphere dull. They have repainted the ceiling with brighter colors and has a positive feel. I hope they don't replace the beautiful chandeliers as that would be a mistake - the chandeliers bring elegance to the casino.

The Sierra cafe/Cantina has a more open air look to it and has a very appealing look to it. I have eaten there and the food is reasonably priced and very good. For breakfast, they have a $9.99 buffet, which I also have tried, however I feel it's good for business people in a hurry. I would suggest ordering from the menu as I wasn't to fond of the quality of the buffet items - scrambled eggs (kind of runny), hash browns, sausage, bacon, county biscuits/gravy, pancakes, oatmeal - typical stuff. One thing that I really didn't like was canned fruit ? Why no fresh fruit?

I always stay in the Summit Room. The hallways going to the Summit Room used to look dark, creepy, and run down. They laid new brighter carpeting, added nice sconce lighting, and updated the paint - still the hallway could be a little more brighter. About the paint, it's a tan color however they painted small sections of the wall in orange which makes it look strange. I know the interior decorator wanted to match some of the colors in the carpet with the walls - I would suggest to keep it all tan. Also the elevator area is extremely dark which they should make it brighter.

Coming from Montbleu first, even with them not renovating for a very long time, their elevator area and hallways are still beautiful and inviting. The got it right. GSR needs to take notes.

Now for the Summit Room. The bathroom will always be beautiful, however it needs to have brighter lighting. They used to supply Gilchrist Soames bath amenities - not any longer, it's a cheaper brand, however not bad. The have constructed a very nice headboard behind the bed with individual reading lights attached to the post on each side, new night stands with brighter lamps, a business desk with a pop up dual electrical outlet and USB port. Also added was one of those Alligator skin sitting chair with a very large and nice decorative reading lamp. The room still has the microwave and refrigerator which I use all of the time.

Now the negatives on the room. The carpeting is still the drab dark brown carpeting which should be upgraded to a brighter color. New brighter bamboo style wall paper was added in the bed area, however in the entrance way, they left the old ugly dark brown wall paper up. They should have wallpapered the entire room with the nice bamboo wallpaper. The sofa and coffee table were remove to make the room bigger, however the way the room furniture was set up it didn't really flow.

The room I had at Montebleu may not have been updated for a while but it was still beautiful and bright.

There are a couple positive I would like to highlight:
On previous stays, when traveling back and forth to my room, especially in the evening, I would always see room service carts in the hall for extended period of time and bottles and rubbish from inconsiderate guest laying in the halls without any hotel/security staff cleaning it up. This visit is was absolutely spotless - it may have been a coincidence, and if not, great job.

Also, in the room, I noticed there was a brochure that the health club offers cardio classes for $6.00 a class - zumba, cardio kickboxing, etc. Great idea for the business travelers interested in that kind of thing. Great job GSR.

My last note - I promise: For folks who enoy gambling and receiving comps like I do, I play at several casinos - Cache Creek, Thunder Valley, Montbleu, Harrah's, Harveys, Venetian and Mirage. I have to say the Grand Sierra resort has the best staff, pit bosses, dealers, and the best comp on return of your play than any of the casinos I have listed. This is why I'm a repeat customer from the bay area that passes up TV and CC to go to GSR instead.

GSR, hurry and finish your renovations, cater to the out of towners like me and not only the locals, and your hotel/casino will flourish.

I'll be visiting again on Memorial Day - Another review? Maybe.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

The room itself: (I got room 1753)
I booked the Luxury Loft Suite. This has it's own room (see pictures). Although, the doors to the room didn't close all the way, but it still offered some privacy.
The loft was HUGE, so huge that there was some empty space that they should have put a dining room table or more chairs - something!
The bed was comfy and there was plenty of closet space.
The room has all modern fixtures, granite tops in the bathroom and in the bar area.
The bathroom has a separate tub and standing shower (the shower head was amazing!). The bathroom did NOT have his and her sinks, but for the most part it was a pretty nice bathroom.
The bar area provided more closet space, coffee machine, water bottles, and a little fridge.
There was a nice big red sectional sofa that is also a pull out bed.
There was a huge white chair that added spunk to the room.
There were a total of THREE TV's - one in the living room, one in the bedroom, and a smaller TV in the bathroom - We used all three :)

The hotel:
The hotel has a pretty good casino
There is a Starbucks right downstairs which was pretty nice.
The arcade was okay - the prizes were kind of blah
The pool area was nice, I think the deepest it went to was 4ft, and there's sand all along the side, which was a nice touch. Mostly kids at the pool, but it was a good pool for Reno :)

The cons:
The hotel is NOT in Downtown, but it is just a short drive away
The women at the front desk were a bit rude.

I think the biggest con was the relationship between RenoLuxuryResort and The Grand Sierra. Because the rooms from the 17th floor and above are privately owned by different people, or a different company (from what I hear), the communication between the two are not great. For instance, I called Grand Sierra a couple days before my reservation and they said that they were not able to find my reservation. However, when I called the day of, they said they did have my reservation. So, just be prepared that the Grand Sierra folks (call number) will not have your reservation until the day you check in. I know, this can be a bit frustrating, but the rooms are worth it.

Room Tip: Book SUMMIT ROOMS! The renovated rooms are located on floor 17 and above. Rooms located next to elev...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2012

After being gone for a few months we were excited to see how the newly renovated Grand Sierra looked. Not that we thought the lobby area needed renovating, maybe the rooms. What a disappointment. Gaudy is all that we can say about the lobby area. And the pool area which we love so much. The really cool cabanas that could have accommodated our whole family lounging on the big pads have been replaced with cabanas that have just two lounge chairs and they want $100 a day for these things. Even more expensive cabanas are being built as I write this. They'll have televisions. Really! Why would I would a T.V. when I want to be relaxing around a pool, reading a book, having a mai tai. What will they charge for these? Looking at the new steel structured cabanas it appears that no one took a level to the steel supports. Very poor.

Our room is large and the bed very comfortable but outdated. I guess if you want to spend more money you can get an updated room. This is a dog friendly place. It's the only hotel we've stayed at in Reno where dogs are very welcome. That's okay with us. We don't have pets but we don't mind the dog people.

The hotel management does a poor job of marketing what the hotel has to offer. There's lot's to do here for both families, couples, and singles but you have to be a sleuth to find out about this stuff.

1  Thank BeachWizard4U
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Before travelling to California we booked this hotel stay through Travelocity. The two-day stay price was about $50. When we arrived we paid an additional $10 per night for internet, etc. We were greeted at the hotel entrance with several valets with luggage carts. We self-parked but the valet held our cart until we returned then a hotel clerk took us up to our room. We asked for a two-bed room but were placed in a standard room with a king bed. The room was clean, large and very comfortable. I stayed in this hotel when it was the MGM Grand. Many years and many owners later it looks pretty good. For the price a great buy!

Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed here on a Living Social deal, 69.00 for two nights, two buffet dinners, 25.00 in gambling $, and four games of Bowling!

Room was nice, though a little outdated, but clean. They are currently renovating so eventually will be top notch. The bed was comfy and the room good sized.

Lots of dining venues, including a Johnny Rockets, Mexican, great Buffet and an upscale steakhouse.

Onsite 50 lane bowling alley with modern scoring and really friendly and helpful staff.

They also have an onsite movie theater with current releases. Seating is plush with several love seats. Admission is 3.00.

The pool area is nice, although not in the hotel. The one drawback was no bathrooms in the pool area. You had to come back into the resort and walk down a very long hallway. This was inconvenient and especially so for people with children.

Slots were fairly loose and they have a wide selection of new slot games, including lots of penny machines.

All in all, a nice stay. We will return if just for the bowling and a movie!

Reviewed May 22, 2012

I want to start out with some positives. The rooms are huge (stayed in 1223), the restaurant selection is great, and the pool area is nice and only getting nicer (adding sand to go with the Beach name).

Okay now for the bad. Starting right out of the gate, valet and check-in parking on a Sunday afternoon was impossible to navigate. Cars were parked too far from the entrance and there was no valets to be found. This left us doing self-parking which was down a hill and extremely far for carrying any amount of luggage more than a carry-on. Hotel check-in though efficient seemed a little cold and uncaring.Though the website indicates they can provide a fridge and microwave, we were snidely informed that only a fridge can be provided for a standard room.

For our floors there was supposed to be 5 elevators, I do not believe anymore than 2 were working at any one time. There was more than one time that people had to wait for more than one cycle of elevators due to how slow they were and the lack of them. The hallways are dark and extremely outdated with some weird pattern on the elevators that made me feel like I was drunk due to the optical illusion like pattern on them.

Immediately upon opening the room it was warm, the air wasn't running and never seemed to quite work correctly. Again the room was huge but the furniture was outdated and had a crappy CRT TV and horrible comforters. The bed was too hard and killed my back on the two night stay. The bathroom was quite large but had peeling wallpaper, a broken hair dryer, and mold in the shower in the grout lines and where the shower and the wall met. We booked the room for 2 adults and 2 children but were only provided with 3 towels. After seeing the housekeeper, we asked for additional towels and a working hair dryer, got the dryer but not the towels. 1 for 2 ain't bad, right?!

The Symbiosis Gathering happened to be occurring the same days we stayed so there was a larger than normal amount of "Hippie" types throughout Reno but each day more and more were gathering at the GSR and I think I know why. During our 3 day stay I did not see one security person patrolling the parking lots or the non-casino areas. Therefore the "guests" who could not afford rooms or chose not to get a room were laying throughout the lobby and exterior of the building. I never saw anyone get asked to discontinue loitering nor asked if any of them were guests. In fact my mother was pretty confident a non-guest walked right into the pool area dropped his backpack and took a "bath" or rather let the crud seep off of him and then got right out and walked back onto the streets.

My favorite experience was seeing all the dogs walking through the hallways. Particularly when a quite large dog decided it needed to defecate on the carpets. The owner made a half-hearted attempt to clean it up. It was gone in the morning but I suspect not before someone stepped in it. Didn't realize I needed to worry about "landmines" when I walk throughout a Resort & Casino.

I think if the GSR management were to update the standard rooms instead of only focusing on the Summit rooms, either added additional staff or hired ones who cared about their jobs, and just stepped back and took a look of what they are doing this property good be great again. Though before my time when this place was the MGM it apparently was the best Reno had to offer, now I would consider staying anywhere but here while staying in Reno.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Wyatt G
Sara R, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Wyatt, thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I want to start off by apologizing for your experience with us. In regards to our remodel, the Summit rooms, and the room you stayed in, please know that we are in the beginning phases of remodeling our standard rooms. Soon, each room will receive the remodel treatment. As well, I apologize for the inconvenience and lack of elevators, as those are also currently under renovation. I truly hope that in the future you will give us another chance and come check out our renovation once it is fully complete (standard rooms and all). Thank you.