Message from TripAdvisor:

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Algonquin, Illinois
“Nice Hotel, Nice Restaurant, Horrible Casino”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We have stayed at another property in Reno for the past six years. We tried the Grand Sierra and found the hotel to be more family friendly than the other one. Also, there was a nice assortment of restaurants. However, for the adulta, the Casino was absolutely horrible, so much in fact that it likely far outweighs the advantages of the other positives.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing away from the Reno Flight Line
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,227)
Bay Area, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

My friend and I rented a reasonably-priced summit tower suite, and it was just what we wanted. It was modern, clean, and spacious. The marble bathroom was an added plus, as was the in-room microwave and fridge (no freezer). The beds were comfortable. The hotel pool was also quite nice, and I liked that for a good part of the day it was in the shade (nice on hot days).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gorenotahoe, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

Stayed there for four days. This Casino Hotel is away from the downtown casinos which was fine by me. The outside is well keep and the parking lot is very large. Keep in mind two things, there is no covered parking, and depending on how busy the hotel is, it could be a bit of a walk from the car to the hotel. Check out for me was pretty quick, and the gal who took care of me was great. The hotel has more there than any of the others in Reno. To name a few, there is a movie theater, 50 lane bowling alley, huge arcade, Starbucks, Round Table Pizza, the best pool in the area, shopping, Spa, Driving Range, Starbucks, and so much more! We stayed in one of the smaller suites, and it was fine. The room was well appointed with a nice Flat screen with plenty of channels, two queen beds, a microwave, a small refrigerator, and a TV in the bathroom that didn't work. The bathroom was where they put a bunch of attention. It was floor to ceiling marble, shower was excellent with excellent water pressure, and just a great bathroom all around. Two things that made me disappointed was that the Air Conditioner was just plain horrible. It was about 90 degrees in Reno, and the AC was blowing cold air, but couldn't get the room to a comfortable temperature. The other was the beds. They were Sealy mattresses, but not at all comfortable for any of the four of us. We all woke up felling like we got beat up. We are used to firm mattresses, not soft mattresses. This is a matter of personal preference. The Hotel was quiet, and there was a Walmart that looked very new just down the street. Also, this is a pet friendly hotel. I personally will not go back and the only reason is because of the beds. I do need to get a good night sleep. Other than the soft beds which I cannot sleep in, this was a great place and I enjoyed myself! This was a great place otherwise!

1 Thank wingnut5
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

The Grand Sierra has been our choice for hotels in Reno for a few years now. The rooms are spacious, bed are comfortable and everything is always very clean.
The variety of things to do at the Resort is incredible, the pool is fun (can be too crowded as anyone can buy season or day passes to use the pool.) The movie theatre is terrific and cheap.
The casino floor is fun, cocktail waitresses come by often and they are generous with free play and comps. I have seen shows in the showroom and it is a great venue, small enough that all the seats are good.
Grand Sierra is a wonderful weekend getaway from the bay area.

Room Tip: avoid overlooking the pool on Friday and Saturday nights, unless you enjoy late night party music.
1 Thank donotcomplain
seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

We paid about $1640 for 9 nights at this hotel, with 3 RT tickets from Seattle and a 'fullsize' rental car from Hertz for our entire time here. I don't know what our nightly rate really would be as a result.

We booked a grand sierra II suite but we were supposedly upgraded to a grand sierra suite. I don't know what the difference is between the two is. They are all called suites.

The room had two queen beds. Our room was 2025. The space was adequate for me, my wife and our baby with his hotel crib. When the 14 year old wasn't staying with family and stayed with us it got cramped quickly.

There is stainless steel microwave with matching small fridge. There is plenty of cupboard space for storing whatever. There is also a closet.

Pretty much all the furnishings are dark brown, which I didn't care for. This included the carpet. This is supposed to be their renovated room. Ok. The nightstands were really odd. There was like black painter's tape around all the edges. It looked really cheap. I don't know what the hell was going on there.

The room did not smell funny and the air conditioning was almost borderline on its ability to keep the room cool enough.

On the wall at the foot of one of the queen beds was a flat screen tv, about a 42 inch or smaller. The channel selection was ok. They had duplicate channels for some reason for several channels.. They had crappy sounding and poor picture channels with the same channel looking great and sounding good further along channel list. Not sure what that was about. It was almost like they had rabbit ears and satellite for each channel.

The room was very quiet. Almost too quiet to get to sleep. The only noise was really infrequent from the hallway.

The bathroom was nice. It appeared to be granite tile from top to bottom, on all the walls, countertop, floors, etc. It was pretty much everywhere except the ceiling.

The toilet paper was like sandpaper. It was some crap made in mexico. Almost like crepe paper. I almost went out and bought my own it was so bad. I did go out and buy my own Kleenex since the crap they had was so bad. My wife and I kept getting nosebleeds since we are not use to the dry air here. I suggest people not use to the dry air bring some simple cheap saline nasal spray.

This hotel seems to have identity issues. I am not sure what it is trying to be. In the hall way you have crappy light fixtures from the 70's along with sporadic LED lights in the ceiling.

The paint is worn off on the numbers in the elevators.

When you come into the main entrance you walk past the check in desks through what is a narrow strip of flooring, after they put up their little retractable 'rope' things that guide people in line to the desk. The space to walk is literally not large enough for a baby stroller and a person next to that stroller. If you are at the desk with luggage checking in, then the people in line going to an available desk person to your left doesn't have enough room to go behind you with their luggage. It is just a really stupid a s s design

There is a Starbucks in the 'lobby' area along with the typical overpriced 24 hour small snack place with salads, sandwiches,etc.

There is a Port of Subs downstairs with limited operating hours as well as a Round Table Pizza.

We found the indoor laser tag to be ok but didn't get a chance to try out the 50 lane bowling alley.

The pool has real sand that gets tracked to your room pretty easily. Cabana rentals are $50 during the week and $100 on the weekend. Friday is considered a weekend.

Some of the cabanas are always reserved even if nobody ever uses them. Must be for their 'high' rollers or some crap.

The pool is open till 10 or so and of course there are friggen kids everywhere. This ain't like Vegas...no hot chicks, mostly families.

The Lodge buffet here blows. I give it a 1 star only because there is food. We went for breakfast only and regret it. Small selection of poor tasting food. What else can I say? We went to the Atlantis hotel for their Toucan buffet at lunch time and that place is 5 stars for what we have seen in Reno so far.

Valet is free, as usual, and our car came quickly. We only used Valet the first night and just parked our car ourselves the rest of the time.

The one bed in our room had a noticeable lean to it which made it very uncomfortable.

The hotel overall seems to be family oriented more so than other casino style hotels I have been too.

The room housekeeping was pretty good overall. They did forget to refill our terrible toilet paper and we kept having to ask for more towels frequently.

The water temperature coming out of the faucet in the bathroom and shower certainly does not meet code for new construction. It should be 120 degrees or less and it is way hotter than that. Just something to mention if you have little kids because they will scald themselves.

They glass shower door is odd because you actually have to be in the shower to adjust the temperature. Normally you access the control knob by moving the shower door out of the way. This shower has an inboard/outboard swinging door in the middle. Hard to explain.

I did not play any slots or order any drinks from the bars. I have no comments on that or any activities that may have taken place on the casino floor. I did notice they had slots in a non smoking area which is nice.

Overall, I would probably try my luck at another hotel if I came back here. It depends on why I was coming back. This is not a terrible hotel by any means. There are things to do here. Check out their website to see what those might be. If you have any questions go ahead and ask me. This is a hotel by itself. It isn't like the hotels downtown where you can walk from one to another.

Another thing about Reno. You can't walk around with alcoholic beverages while downtown like you can in Vegas. This really sucks. We have family in Reno and that is the only reason why I would come back. If I wanted to party and gamble then Vegas it is.

Room Tip: I don't have any tips to get the best room
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Wow.This hotel is unbelieavably great,from a brilliant pool and golfing course,to even having a light under your bathroom sink!Wonderful view from up top,i stayed in the 20th floor,my,i looked out that window and felt like i was falling!Haha wonderful and beautiful view.Bowling alley,REALLY fun.The GoKarts near the hotel are really fun!We payed $18 and 3 of us were able to ride.Although pool closing times are quite early(9am-11pm[different in certain days]),its enjoyable.They charge $20 to go into the pool area,quite expensive.Beds,really comfortable.Bathroom feels like home,extremely clean.I liked that TV in the bathroom,haha!Yes,if you have an upset stomach,take your time,theres a nice tv there to in the bathroom.Theres a nice fridge in the room too,to throw in some sodas.In this hotel,when its like 1 or 2 AM,its like 3 PM for you.24 hour bowling,sweet!Casino was nice and calm,nice gift shops and small stores.Stores do close quite early,but the gift shop is open really late.Nice valet parking too.This hotel is not even expensive!I highly recommend this to anybody that wants to be in luxury for a couple of nights.Family Friendly,really amazing.If you're going to stay at this hotel,you wont want to leave.You can have a wonderful vacation by just being in the Grand Sierra Resort.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank SentinelT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed there over the weekend for free and found out the Hotel was sold to someone else late last year. The room we stayed in didn't have a luggage rack and the heat lamp in the bathroom didn't work. There was no 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door either. We've stayed there many many times before and had no problems with any of our rooms. We were even upgraded to a suite a few times! My friend's room didn't have a tub mat and she slipped and fell in the bathtub. She called and requested for one to be brought up, but they never brought it. Even the next day when she called again, it was not delivered. They said they ran out of mats. I guess the Hotel is going downhill in its upkeep of their rooms. I'm seeing a lot more dogs in this Hotel, which I don't like. There was a dog barking in the room next to us one morning. Good thing I was awake already. Next time I'll think twice before booking this Hotel, especially if I have to pay for the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room or check in very late in the evening. You may be lucky and get a suite.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple