Message from TripAdvisor:

“Decent and Nicely Priced”

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 5, 2011

An awesome staff member, Brett, checked me in. I was placed on the 14th floor due to my desire to be as far from smoking as possible. The room was a junior suite, which was a nice size. The room was in need of updating, but the cost of the room was very fair and one can overlook the furnishings. However, I did need to clean the phone and the hairdryer as they were both quite filthy.
Prompt shuttle service to the airport and a good staff. Sidenote: iPhone didn't work with hotel's free wi-fi.

Room Tip: 14th floor for non-smoking

Reviewed May 26, 2011

We stayed at this hotel because of a decent last minute rate. The hotel charges a "Resort Fee", yet the one thing we would've used from this "resort" is the pool, and it wasn't open because it was "off season".

The room we stayed in had no refrigerator, microwave, or coffee pot.

My son loved watching the planes fly in and out of the Reno airport from our room.

We visited two sit-down restaurants at this hotel. Johnny Rockets and the buffet restaurant. Johnny Rockets food was ok, but not what I've come to expect from other locations of the same restaurant. The service was mediocre at best. The buffet restaurant charges $12.99 for their breakfast buffet, which is outragous considering the breakfast options they had available. All they had that was breakfast food was chicken fried steak, sausage, gravy, biscuits, and REALLY runny scrambled eggs. (NOTE: I like my scrambled eggs cooked somewhat soft, and these were still partially uncooked eggs.) I would've liked to see some other bread item for breakfast besides a biscuit and some bacon, it's pretty standard so I was shocked to not see it.

There was better value, quality, and price at the 2nd Street Cafe which is a walk up and order type place.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
GSRManagement, Hotel Operations at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Thank you for taking your personal time to comment on your recent stay at Grand Sierra Resort. Unfortunately, due to the unseasonable cold temperatures (mid 40's) we kept our pool closed on certain days, even though it had opened for the season. I am sorry we did not communicate this to you in an effective manner. We believe our resort has the most to offer our guests in the region and we hope that when your travel plans next include Reno that the Grand Sierra Resort is the place you stay.

Reviewed May 23, 2011

I been in Hotel casinos and I stayed here this May 2011. The room is spacious but there is no Coffee pot, Tv is old, Carpet is old fashioned. Over all it is not a great hotel to stay. The casino are junk. You won't even win a dime.

1  Thank Jbkacovit

Thank you for taking your personal time to comment on your recent stay at Grand Sierra Resort. We are in the process of finalizing the scope of work for renovating our lower floor rooms and hope to begin by the first quarter of 2012. Our Summit floors do have butler pantry's, as well as a 42" flat screen television and a bathroom with floor to ceiling marble at a slightly higher daily rate than our lower floor rooms. We believe our resort has the most to offer in the region and we hope we have the opportunity to host you the next time your travel plans include Reno.

Reviewed May 13, 2011

I want to start off by saying that I read more reviews on the resort then I care to. Most of you had me second guessing my decision. I booked this trip as a Mother's Day Surprise for my mother back in November 2010. She didn't know where we were going until she arrived at the airport. I must prepare you because this is rather long considering the time spent in Reno and at the resort.

Check-in: I had read that check-in was going to take forever. It did not!! We arrived on Sun. 5/08/11 @ about 12:30pm their time. We were in and out of line in about 10 minutes. They knew who I was and had all my information correct. Our room was even available so, off we went.

Room: We had a standard room, non-smoking with 2 queen beds. I must say that I had read many, many horror stories about the standard room. We stayed in room 1504. We had a beautiful view from our room. We could see downtown and the mountains with snow on them. The room was clean and decent for sleeping. The room didn't smell of smoke. My mother is a diabetic so, we were able to get a frig free of charge. They bought it right up, plugged it in and it was working. NO WAIT! People have said the rooms are dark. Ours was dark when we didn't leave on any lights but, the furniture was beige and the walls were white. It was hard for the room to be dark in that situation. It wasn't the best room but, it most definitely wasn't the room I have ever stayed in. I am well traveled and have been all over the US, Caribbean, Mexico, and Europe. I have seen some rooms and this one was decent.

Hallway Decor: I thought it was fun with all the bright colors that matched the outside of the door. This is not a deal breaker for me. As long as it's clean it was fine with me.

Food: We ate at most of the restaurants at the resort. We ate @ Port of Subs, Fin Fish, Cafe Sierra, The Lodge, Johnny Rockets, and Round Table Pizza Place. We ate at Fin Fish for Mother's Day. We dressed up and had one of the best meals ever. We both ordered something different to get a feel of the food. It was delicious!! They also put one of the TVs on the Bulls game, even though they loss that day. We are from Chicago so, they wanted to make us feel at home. The drinks came off the Mother's Day menu and were strong, as we like them. She had crab legs, potato gratin and creamed spinach, which she said was to die for. I ordered Blu Cheese Crusted Steak, twice baked potato, and roasted corn. Very different meals and both were cooked to perfection. For dessert we had the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar, which was also very tasty. One of the best we have eaten at. We also ate at Port of Subs on Mother's Day when we first arrived at the resort. The subs were even good. We ate at Cafe Sierra several times and never ate the same thing twice. They are open 24 hours and you can order anything on the menu during that time. Every meal that we had there was delicious. From breakfast, lunch and dinner. They do have a breakfast buffet but, we just ordered off the menu. The Lodge is the buffet. I was nice but, not the best. I had ribs and they were sort of fatty. One thing I liked about the buffet is that they did not allow children at the ice cream station alone. Every buffet I have ever been to say the kids should have supervision but, they never do at the ice cream station. Ice cream is always on the floor and all over the machine but , not here. Johnny Rockets had the best bacon double cheeseburger ever. And the shakes. OMG, they were to die for. They make more then can fit in the glass and they bring you the tin cup also. Round Table Pizza was decent. Not that fond of the pizza but, the salad, twisty bread and buffalo wings were nice. Overall, we didn't have a bad meal the entire time.

Casino: I have to say that I was a bit confused when I read reviews about the casino. No, it was not like a deserted island. No, it was not crowded either. It was consistent flow of traffic. I don't know about you but, I don't want to gamble in a casino that has wall to wall people. If it's crowded they are less likely to pay. And they do PAY! I was very please with the money I won. No, I didn't win thousands of dollars but, I did win hundreds of dollars. I also like that as long as I gamble I get to drink.

Entertainment: They have all forms of entertainment. Day and night. We went to the cinema. The loveseats are a bit worn but, still comfortable. We saw a movie that we wanted to see when it first came out but, u know movies don't stay in theaters that long anymore. We bowled, which was soooo much fun. They have a 50 lane bowling alley which also stays open 24 hours. We went go cart riding which was also a blast! The arcade was fun as my mother and I played against each other in the games. We put our tickets together to get even bigger prizes. Now if you go to the GSR and don't see Chris Costa perform nightly Wed.-Sun. @ The 20500 Lounge, u will definitely be missing a treat. We watched him on Sun. & Wed. and he gives a fun show with lots of singing and dancing. The same lounge also have Happy Hour Mon.-Fri. from 5-7. I loved happy hour because, the drink that I drink cost $7.50 but during happy hour it was only $1. Another night we sat at the bar by Johnny Rockets to watch the other Bulls game, which they won & eliminated Atlanta out of the playoffs. They was soooo exciting because, we had the Bulls side and the Atlanta side. I even started a Square Pool game that the guys seemed to be impressed with. They didn't think I knew anything because, I was a girl. We had big fun the night.

Downtown Reno: We took the bus that comes in the resort parking lot to downtown Reno. Now u all talk about GSR being rundown. I have to say that I was not prepared for downtown to look the way it looked. It looked totally raggedy! OMG, it was rundown and all. Now, we did have the pleasure of doing the Buffet & Illuminair Package @ The Eldorado. There buffet was really good and very crowded! Before the show we refilled our big cups that we bought on our first trip downtown on the bus for $10. The barmaid told us to bring them back for the show & the refill would be $6, which it was. You can take them in the show. We had great seats for the show. It was something like a Cirque du Soleil. It was very entertaining and magical!!! It runs until 7/24/11 @ The Eldorado and if u get the opportunity to go, I recommend it. It was very good and kid friendly. I did some shopping downtown for souvenirs while downtown but, other then that we didn't spend too much time downtown. I felt a little unsafe. Don't get me wrong, I live in Chicago so I know about crime but, I know about the neighborhoods where I live. I don't know anything about the neighborhoods in Reno so, we just went to our destinations back to our resort.

Check-out: We were able to get late check-out for no extra charge. Normal check is 11am but we didn't leave until 1pm. We were also able to do early check-in and print our boarding passes for no charge at The Players Club. Check-out only took about 5 minutes. We then left our bags with the Bell Desk until it was time to go to the airport.

All and all we had a fantastic time in Reno and at Grand Sierra Resort. We will be going back next year and staying at Grand Sierra. I asked my mother would she prefer to stay somewhere else and she said no. We are returning in 2012 in June or July. We want it to be a little warmer next trip. We are going to do 3 days in Reno & 3 days in Vegas or all 6 days in Reno. We haven't decided yet. We would even consider staying in a Summit room just to see what all the hoopla is about. Also, I want to mention that my birthday is 5/15. Since I wasn't going to be @ GSR on that day they gave me my birthday present before leaving. It was a coupon for 2 for 1 drinks. I would recommend this location to anyone. We loved it and wouldn't stay anywhere else. I am so glad that I didn't change my hotel based on reading the reviews. They treated us like a Queen and Princess. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. We were not able to enjoy the pool because, it doesn't open until after Memorial Day. We also had massages but, they were done off the property. In Chicago, I am a member of Massage Envy. Your monthly membership fee includes a free massage every month which u can use at any location. When you bring a guest, they get the membership rate. Mines was free and my mother's was only $39 (which is $10 cheaper then Chicago) and it was an hour. It was in the Meadowland Mall. We look forward to our next trip to Reno and GSR. I hope that other visitors to GSR will learn to love them for what they have to offer and learn to enjoy them as "The Diamond in the Ruff". We truly enjoyed the staff, the hotel, food, and the environment.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have the best views.
8  Thank Sasassie
Reviewed May 6, 2011

We got a great deal on our room -very good price, great room.
When we first went to our room there was a tray in the hallway with some chocolate cake and empty plates sitting out on the floor. Probably half of a cake and a dozen or more plates. Okay, maybe somebody had a celebration and it would be cleared soon.

We walked past it for 2 days before it got removed, after frosting got smeared around on the carpet...
The room was great, spacious and quiet. A tower room, so the night that the hotel filled up with teenage concert goers- we closed the door and heard nothing.

My other complaint was no coffee maker. Yes, there was a Starbucks and coffee shop right downstairs and next to the elevator-but I like my coffee before I'm dressed. We ran down to Target and got a $10 coffee maker. Probably about the same money amount as buying coffee every morning- but having coffee in the room... priceless.

Service was great and everyone was helpful and pleasant. I'd go again.....with my coffee maker.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2011

This place is dark and disgusting! We were here on business and had a function at the hotel, thus were given the Summit towers for $89. Upon entering the room, the room was very dark...dark walls, carpet, and furnishings. I mentioned to the bell guy that I could not get enough light in the room...he said unfortunately all lights are on and that's as light as it gets. After being in the room for 20 minutes I found out why it is so dark...because it is filthy! The carpet is dirty and rumpled, so never took my shoes off to walk around the room. Thank goodness I was only here for one night!

Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank travelbuggers5
Reviewed May 3, 2011

i think its one og the worst hotels i have been, the room smelled terrible, like pipi, the are pet friendly but c'mon they also accept big dogs, where did they go to the badroom?? yes in the rug, my room had a terrible smell really awful experience. i really hate the hotel, ah and of course, they made an extra charge for "services" like 2 bottle water and internet
really bad