“Good breakfast buffet”

Island Buffet
Ranked #14 of 957 Restaurants in Reno
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Peppermill’s Island Buffet offers an abundant selection of hot entrees, carved meats, savory soups, fresh salads, several made-to-order specialties and home-baked desserts.
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Typical buffet variety but the food tasted great. Used the Plus 55 deal to get one free buffet with purchase of one.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I guess the days of really cheap casino buffets and great food are gone forever.

Three of us ate at this buffet on our first night at the hotel as it seemed the ratings were reasonable. but we wonder what the high rating people were used to eating before coming here because the food was not liked by any of us. It should have been more like half the price for this quality. There was not the big selection that we are accustomed to having at similar buffets. The prime rib was practically raw and seemed it wasn't even cooked at all (bloody and yucking, so we through it out). Many selections were dried out and not flavorful. Low selection of desserts that were not even labelled, so we had to guess or ask about what kind of desserts were in the case.

Service was slow. It took 15 minutes just to get our drinks after we had ordered them.

Overall, the three of us unanimously agreed that this was the worst buffet for the price that we had eaten in the last 20 years!

We will never eat there again and recommend you find another buffet somewhere else.

1  Thank Glen H
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Liked the two for one breakfast at the buffet if you are 55 or older and if you have a Players Club card. Disliked the quality of the food although there was a great selection.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Going to Reno for a day is a good day trip. It is only a 3 1/2-4 hour drive depending on weather conditions, traffic etc.. We decided to spend the night at The Peppermill Hotel and doing that we decided to try the Island Buffet located inside because we have been to that place before.

The Island Buffet has a very unique atmosphere. My reason why it is called the Island Buffet is that they have tree limbs representing the trees on a island and rain and water sounds through out the top of the restaurant. It reminds me of a Rainforest Cafe environment just without the mechanical animals moving.

Main Course Food: Most buffets have almost all ethnic types of food; American, Asian, Mexican, Italian Mediterranean etc.. My first plate of food that I got was the Prime rib, spareribs, raviolis with mushroom sauce and some raw shrimp with cocktail sauce. The prime rib was delicious with the Au ju sauce on top. The chefs were really nice and asked you how do you like your slice because there was a choice between done or medium rear. The spareribs were a little dry in the meat so I think they cooked it a little too long because my family said that it was moist and not dry before I had gotten my piece of the ribs.

The raviolis with the mushroom sauce was great also despite being on the rich and creamy side. Raw shrimp with cocktail sauce is popular so I don't have to comment on that. After I finished my plate, I went on to try some pot stickers, fried rice, sweet and sour pork, pork tamales and cordon blou. After experimenting on most of the food there, I chose some as my favorite dishes of the night.

The dessert area wasn't all that great. The blueberry muffins were too dry, the chocolate cake was also dry. I didn't get to try all the desserts because I was too full of the other main dishes. The only thing that I enjoyed from the dessert area is the rainbow sherbert. to sum it all up, it was a decent place to go and have a good buffet. Would go hear again.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Outstanding variety of properly prepared fresh food, including a variety of seafood and hand carved meat. Champagne is continuously poured and the atmosphere is pleasant and interesting (occasional lightning and thunder) for a great Sunday meal.

Been to Island Buffet? Share your experiences!