“Didn't meet expectations”

Toucan Charlie's Buffet
Ranked #10 of 935 Restaurants in Reno
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet
Description: Toucan Charlie's serves up everything from salads and delicious desserts to juicy hand-carved meats and culinary delights from around the globe, the choices are practically endless. Enjoy made to order items like omelets and sizzling Mongolian BBQ in addition to traditional favorites like roasted and fried chicken and hand-carved Prime Rib.
Naples, Florida
“Didn't meet expectations”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Read so many good reviews on Trip Advisor so we tried it for a family Sunday Brunch while passing through Reno. We were disappointed in the quality of the food and service. Food was definitely at a lower grade than we expected and presentation was sloppy. Oh well-

1 Thank facca

Ventura County
“Excellent buffet choice foe vegetarians too!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Our family of 4 ate here. I am vegetarian, they are not. I had tons of options. The service was great,as was the variety. The only thing we didn't like waa the cookies, thar tasted stale. We would sefinitely return here, and highly recommend it.

Newport Beach, California
“Better be hungry”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is the best buffet in Reno in my opinion. I have visited the other competitors, but this one has 4 live cooking stations, fresh salad bar, a carving station with prime rib, ham, turkey, and sometimes other carved delights, a dessert area that will not disappoint; there is no better way to get full than this buffet.

Visited August 2013
Laguna Beach
“Amazingly good buffet”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I'm really not a fan of buffets. That said, Toucan Charlie's Buffet at the Atlantis Hotel is really quite good.

I had just finished playing golf in 90 plus degree sun, was grumpy and dehydrated and my family demanded that we go to this buffet. We got through the line (one couple ahead of us) and were shown to a good table for four very near the food.

SERVICE: Our server appeared instantly for a drink order, and I ordered two diet colas. My experience is that that request is usually met with "we'll refill them--you don't need two now," but the request was almost instantly fulfilled. The service was absolutely flawless--dishes disappeared just as you were done with them; drinks were refilled without being asked; extra utensils were provided as needed (more in a moment). In short, service was excellent.

FOOD: I'm sure other reviews have talked about the extensive amount of food, its good quality, and its huge variety. All of the above is true. What I suspect no one mentioned is Toucan Charlie's going the extra mile when you want something special that is not on the service line at this moment.

At the table next to us was a couple who had a huge pile of crab legs. They ate crab legs for an hour. My wife wanted some, and so I went up to one of the line servers and asked where the crab legs were--I couldn't find them. He went back to the kitchen and brought out a large bowl of them. When we got back to the table, our server saw what we had, and brought a cracking pliers and an Atlantis tool to open the crab legs. Essentially, it was a plastic can opener that you use to get to the meat.

My wife was thrilled, and for the first time in her life had all the crab meat she could eat. She is also a devotee of shrimp, and had both raw and cooked shrimp (reasonably large size).

What other food is available? Mexican, Mongolian BBQ, "American", Chinese, Italian, Salads, and one of the best dessert selections I have seen at a buffet--best because the quality is high. The eclairs were particularly good, as was the peach pie.

ATMOSPHERE: Buffet normal. A huge room full of people who seem intent on getting a much food as they can--they shovel it in. I would suggest that picking and choosing at this buffet is probably a better strategy, although it is ideal for those who want to shovel it in as fast as they can. But the atmosphere of this place is buffet normal. Which is to say, lots of kids, lots of adults intent on eating as much as they can, and a large, unromantic room filled with tables of people eating.

I don't like buffets. But Toucan Charlie's Buffet is a step or two above any other buffet I have been to. And I will go back. For the reasons stated above, this place has earned five bullets as a buffet.

Highland, Ut
“Great food and lots of choices”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We enjoyed lunch at Toucan Charlie's in the Atlantis Hotel and were impressed with the variety and quality of the food offerings. It's a nice atmosphere for a buffet. The prime rib was excellent being tender and juicy. The fried chicken was a tad dry but we ate lunch just before they changed over to dinner so it probably had been under the heat lamp for a while. Everything else was delicious. I wish I could have tried the Mongolian BBQ but my wife and I were too stuffed. The staff was prompt at seating us and waiter was accommodating. I think lunch at Toucan Charlie's is a great value for the money especially if you're pretty hungry.

• Visited August 2013

Been to Toucan Charlie's Buffet? Share your experiences!