“Very Disappointed”

Add it.
Taste of India
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed August 13, 2008

The food tastes awful. And the way they treat the customers is miserable. Food used to be good some time back but not anymore. Looks like they have changed the cook.

Reviewed July 29, 2008

had 3 entertainment coupons to our local (reno,nv) indian cuisine restaurants. looked up reviews for all and this one had the most current review with excellent marks. said what the hey, give it a try. was not disappointed AT ALL!!!!. over ordered so we had to bring some home, booo hoo. although we were full from the meal we wanted to open up the leftover box and consume more. ordered the indian combo dinners. one was the non-vege the other the indian special and our favorite garlic naan. with the combo dinners you get a choice of chicken or lamb curry. we choose the chicken and lamb. they ask how spicy, the chicken was medium & lamb mild. the chicken was excellent, the lamb was very good, should have said medium. picked up a take out menu, because we will return.
the place is not fancy, it is clean, and the service is very friendly and courteous. each item from our dinner was served exactly when we were ready.
we want to try their lunch buffet

Reviewed April 28, 2008

When I moved up from the Bay Area, you could imagine my disappointment at the culinary options in the Reno area. I tried and tried, but just could not find an establishment I wanted to visit more than once. I also lived in Europe for a spell, travelled extensively to Asia and am considered an excellent cook by those who know me. So you might say my palatte borders on snobby. I remember some years back, waiting with anticipation, the grand opening of "A Taste of India" and of course visited on that very day. I was blown away! Since then, I have dined there hundreds of times and brought friends and family from literally around the world and everyone loves this place. Even better, the quality has not declined the least bit through the years.

If you enjoy Indian Cuisine, this is a must visit. Tell them Michael sent you. Also, they just opened a new restaurant in North Reno and I plan to visit there soon. I understand the brother, a renowned chef in India, just moved here and is running the kitchen.

Reviewed December 13, 2007

Other Indian Restaurants in Reno/Carson City have *much* prettier rooms, while Taste of India has no decor at all. But the food is better here! *ALL* of the other places make food which looks pretty, but tastes like a Junior High School lunchroom-- utterly tasteless, badly under-spiced. But Taste of India spices properly, even for the luncheon buffet. (Not "hot", I'm talking "spicy".)

The best luncheon days are Thursday and Sunday, they serve a spicy tomato-based chicken dish called "Chicken Makani" which is really exceptional. Wednesday and Saturday are also good, they serve a pretty tasty Tikka Massala.

On the menu, Chicken Tikka (straight from the Tandoor in chunks, WITHOUT creamy sauce) is outstanding. Tandoor "mixed grill" is also excellent, although everyone's eyes sting a little when they bring it out from the kitchen. Naan is just right, light and with just a tiny bit of crunch (order Pashwari Naan, of course). Owner (a chubby older woman) and the very young server man (thin as a rail, quite tall) are both delightful.

On the milder side, "Chicken Kashmiri" is very good. Huge menu, with lots of good choices.
- - - - -

At lunch, they "hide" the Chicken Tandoor at the far corner of the steam table-- lots of people don't even know it's there. For the buffet, earlier (11AM- 11:30AM) tastes a lot better than later (2PM-2:30PM), buffet items get kinda flat and soggy after sitting for too long.

Location is a bit out-of-the-way, however: 3 blocks North from the Convention Center and Atlantis hotel (don't stay there!), about 6 blocks South from Peppermill, and two blocks East of Virgina, this one's almost 4 miles away from the downtown "strip".

3  Thank rickst29