“DO NOT see a show here!!!!”

Grand Sierra Resort Casino
Ranked #10 of 125 things to do in Reno
Oakdale, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“DO NOT see a show here!!!!”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I went to see Rob Schneider at the GSR on Feb 15. The concert venue is beautiful, I'll give it that. However, the seating is rediculous! You have the choice between a booth or table seating. Booth seating was sold out, so we went with the table. HUGE mistake!

The "tables" are about four feet long and they crowd six people around them. Then, they place the tables about 2.5 feet apart. So, you are literally squished in to the seating area. The guy sitting at the table next to us went to put his arm around his wife and hit my shoulder. My husband had to move his chair in to the walkway. A lady at our table had to get up and leave because she was having leg cramps.There was literally no room. Even the comedians were making jokes about how bad the seating was and referred to the audience as sardines more than once.

We paid good money for those tickets and we both left angry. It was incredibly uncomfortable which made the show unenjoyable. As for the casino, we never saw a single cocktail wiatress, and we both played the poker machienes for over an hour. I don't mean we didn't get served a drink, I mean we did not see a single cocktail waitress while we were playing. We stayed at the Silver Legacy and the cocktail waitresses were everywhere and they were quick. The drinks were alot better, too.

I understand that GSR is supposed to be the high class casino with a younger crowd, but their service sucks, plain and simple. Go to the Silver Legacy or El Dorado. The service is better and the shows are a great price.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank HoffBees

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dixon, California
“The resort is beautiful but.......”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We went to the Superbowl Party in the Ballroom food was ok the party was fun. Meet a lot of nice people. The game needed help but that was not there fault. The room was very nice and clean. The bed was comfortable. They still need help what the buffet.

Visited February 2014
San Francisco, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“OH NO THEY DID NOT! Casino review only, here:”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I went for the casino- I am an avid poker machine junkie, and I play at the speed of light- this is the secret (if you can instantly decide what cards to hold, you win WAY more often, but this blazing speed takes total concentration). As I was banging the hold buttons, the playing field contracted and shot up to the top of the screen, so I missed my marks by the distraction. I assumed the machine was on the blink. Then, it happened again and again until I FINALLY realized- the machine does that on PURPOSE so it can flash a banner ad across the bottom of the screen! Then you have to halt your game, click the X on the ad to close it, then the playing field returns to full screen. This happened FIVE times in less than two minutes and is the FIRST TIME I have EVER not left a casino with every DIME I entered with, because I lost those five hands. Just when I thought things can't get ANY crappier?

As far as the place- it's an ugly, dirty building (filthy, littered parking lot and sidewalks, crusty windows, missing light bulbs on the marquee) in an industrial, nasty, unsafe location. But then you enter the front door, to a gigantic, beautiful lobby and casino. Too bad they chose the low route, and are dirtbags A#1. I wouldn't go back for $100 in free, no strings attached poker play, table OR machine.

I'm so angry I even passed on a free drink as I rushed out of that dump. And trust me, folks- I've never passed up a free anything in my LIFE.

3 Thank Iso T
Dallas, Texas
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“We love you but get it together GSR”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Beds are fabulous in Summit tower and front desk was pretty quick. We had a fabulous buffet on New Years day and returned the following morning to find nothing but cold eggs, practically no fruit and a 25 minute wait for . Our waitress was busing tables and waiting tables. So what's a buffet with no pastries, pancakes, waffles or anything.
So I ask the Manager what's up and she can care less. Luckily we got there early to be disappointed. There was a 25 minute line to get into the place due to only one cashier even for VIP entry.
So then I go to fix it at check out and was told the F& B Manager would call me, but no call.
I also played the tables on 1/1/14 and waited an hour to be offered a drink. I just left why spend the money.
Luckily guys at Crystal Bar rocked so I played Video Poker. Also mu kudos to KIP the best bartender at the GSR in the Sports Bar. Hope to see you again...maybe
Golf range was fun for the kids and the bowling alley manager was really cool. Great time at both.
The spa is nice, but gym was extremely limited. They only provided water in a plastic cup and barely any free weights. If you want to steam or sauna get ready to shell out $15 extra.

Grand Sierra has improved over the last 8 years, but still needs polishing.

Visited January 2014
Florence, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Old 70's motif but making changes”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This resort was probably 1st class in the 70's, but now looking tired and old. They are renovating at this time however. Take your own shampoo, conditioner and soap...do not use theirs. It is as old as the resort.
Beds are very lumpy and springs are loose. We tip housekeeping at the beginning of a stay, not the end, and that proved to be a bad idea this time. Just saying.
Now for the good. Casino is well layed out, everything convenient to find.
Conference rooms are comfortable. Restaurants are great, no exception that we found. Charlie Palmers is the best. For breakfast go to Elements buffet. Variety is great, omelet station and good service.
Bottom line is I felt the resort was not as clean as most are and I would not return, but then I would not probably return to Reno either.

Visited November 2013